Thread: Boss Chorus- Power?

Boss Chorus- Power?

It's been a long complaint of mine that the Boss CE3 pedal likes to be ON when my pedal board is powered up. I catch it most time as its become habit to turn the darn thing off after I power up but there have been periodic power interruptions before that power it back on to my dismay.

Why is it that the switch in this pedal works like that? None of my other pedals seem to operate in that manner.

Re: Boss Chorus- Power?

I have a couple of pedals that do this as well. Both are boss I think. If you get an answer let me know as well.
    Guitars: Teles, Strats, LP, VW Wormoth, others. Amps: Bassman LTD, Richter 5e3, 5e3 Head, Taynor Bassmaster II, Gretsch 6150 (Supro), others. Board: Guitar>Java Boost> Huckleberry>Fuzz Head>Top Fuel> SFX-03 >Keeley 4 knob Comp>EH Clone Chorus>Flanger>DD-6

My SD-1 does that too. I try not to have too many power up/downs. But since it's a known issue, it doesn't bother me much.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

My CE 3 must be run on a battery. The mains power input doesn't work. Anyone know a fix? Thanks.

The CE-3 and other pedals use a very common switch-on/switch-off circuit called a bi-stable multivibrator (OK, children, stop snickering):

http://www.play-hookey.com/digital/e..._bistable.html

Depending on how the circuit is wired and the variations of the two transistors, they can startup on or off.

If you are not squeemish about modding your pedal, I could look up the schematic and come up with a fix for you.

I have a DOD flanger that does this as well, so maybe I'll try it out on that one first.
    "Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so" -- Douglas Adams
    "If something has a 1 in a million chance of occurring, 9 times out of 10 it will happen" -- Terry Pratchett

Well I'm a pretty ham fisted solderer but I can do pickups

If it doesn't require micro precision I'd be game to redo the wiring on my Boss pedal. Let us know how it goes with yours!

oddly enough, i never had that prob w/ my boss pedals, but my dod eq does that.
    Röckin' nön-stöp ön my Föckin' Glöckinspiel...
    Bonefish on Myspace
    bonefish on facebook

Forum Member

it happens to me, too...both boss pedals i have on the board, tr-2 and sd-1...even tho it's minor, it's still pretty annoying....so if somebody figures out how to change it, that would be cool...