Thread: Changing tuning machines

Forum Member

Changing tuning machines

I want to add locking tuners to my strat. If possible are there quality locking machines that directly replace my kluson's with no modification? Are the tuning machine holes for kluson tuners bigger or smaller than sperzel tuners. Could I just ream out the hole to make it bigger to outfit a set of sperzels?

Forum Member
    Formerly Stroker Ace
    Gotoh makes locking Kluson pegs. They work great. I have installed several sets and have a set on one of my own strats. They are a direct replacement. I'll look for their part number. Kluson holes are 11/32". Sperzel's require a 25/64.

Greg
    Last edited by Fendercrazy; 03-26-2003 at 01:24 PM.

Forum Member
    Formerly Stroker Ace
    You could ream the holes to 25/64 and install Sperzels. They are superb tuning keys. If you want a direct replacement go to http://www.allparts.com/ and look up part # TK0779-001. That's for the Gotoh Locking Tuning Keys Kluson Style. Both would work great.

Forum Member

Locking Sperzels

Having just bought a second set of locking Sperzels, the correct diameter for the hole is 3/8". It's not too hard to enlarge the hole if use use a hand reamer and a round file. Just take it really slowly, and measure constantly so you don't go too big or out-of-round.

Keep in mind that if you use Sperzels as replacements, you will also have to drill a small hole (#41 drill bit) for the retaining pin. Plus the holes for the retaining screws on your existing tuners may or may not still be visible after you install the new tuners.

I haven't tried the locking Kluson tuners but am sticking with Sperzels for now 'coz they work so well.

Chip

I've got some of those Gotoh locking klusons - they work out fine as far as keeping the strings in tune, but I'd say the Sperzels are easier to work with (installation difficulty aside) since you can tighten down the locking mechanism from the backside of the headstock with your fingers, rather than having to mess with a screwdriver to untighten, and then twist the tuner repeatedly in order to get the string locked down when restringing. In other words, they work well, they're just not as easy to work with as the Sperzels...
    "The lord will take two things so much alike that he would not mind choosing from them blindfold - and then for a great jest he will allow the slaves to choose."

Forum Member
    The sperzels are close to actual vintage kluson weight as well. Not sure about the locking "kluson-type" tuners from Gotoh. Some people think that affects tone.

Sorry to dredge up an old thread...
    The Sperzels also have the graduated height that eliminate the need for string trees, correct?