Thread: Price Check on a 64 Strat (refin)

Forum Member

Price Check on a 64 Strat (refin)

Hello--

http://www.5thstringberkeley.com/Fen...ratocaster.htm

I'm going to check out this Strat this weekend, but I'd be interested in hearing some feedback on the value. I would think a clean, all original 64 would be worth more than double the asking price of ten grand (maybe triple if it was an orginal Candy Apple Red) but given the re-fin and non-original pots is ten grand a fair price? What I want is a player, so how it feels and sounds is what's going to make it work or not work for me, and it's been my experience that vintage Strats vary WILDLY in this regard. All the same I would like to feel okay about the price I pay if I do like it.

Any thought or advice would be appreciated!

Forum Member

Re: Price Check on a 64 Strat (refin)

If it feels great and is being looked at as a player, then $10,000.00 is not unreasonable. That being said, $10,000.00 is not petty cash. If you ever decide to move it you are going to run into a number of roadblocks (many stories to tell - refin, replaced parts -- all work against easily recouping your investment). Once the stories start, the potential buyer's "jitter" level goes way up (e.g., what else is wrong I am not hearing about, how will I tell my story about this guitar should the time come, etc.).

So, unless it is your lifetime ambition to acquire a vintage guitar, you might better be served by comparing it with other, newer strats (e.g., Fullerton's 1982-1984; custom shop issues, etc) to be certain you are getting play and sound worthy of your dollar.

Just me 2 cents. Best of luck.