Thread: New EJ Strat Questions

Forum Member

New EJ Strat Questions

Hiya All,

I am a newbie here on TFF. I just got a new EJ Sig. Strat in 2 tone Sunburst and had a few questions. If you already own one, you could probably be a big help!

Here Goes:

1. Take off the plastic on the pickguard yes or no?

2. The silver "paint" on the trem block is chipped off in the corner. Should I use touchup paint to prevent corrosion or does the paint just wear off over time?

3. Can I just leave the tremolo bar installed when I put it away in the case? I heard the sticker is there so that some spring doesn't fall out.

Thanks guys. I just want to get started right because this was a lifetime investment for me on my budget.

Duluth, MN. Birthplace of Bobby Zimmerman

Re: New EJ Strat Questions

1. yes

2. no (I wouldn't touch it up)

3. many people are able to leave the arm attached (just point it downward) when putting the guitar in its case.
    That sticker is placed there to keep a small spring from falling out. But, some very credible folks (Callaham, for example) advise against keeping that spring in there to begin with as it can cause the threads to strip.

4. congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forum!!
    "If you're cool, you don't know nothin' about it. It just is...or you ain't." - Keith Richards

Forum Member

Silver paint on the trem block? The EJ model has an unpainted trem block. If your trem block is painted, either someone replaced the original, or it isn't an EJ. Take a look at the string holes in the trem block, where you insert the string, when you are restringing. Does the ball end of the string disappear, completely, into the recessed string hole, or is the recess just deep enough to accommodate the ball end of the string? If the block is an EJ block, not only is it not painted, but the recess of the string hole should only be deep enough to accommodate the ball end of the string.

Forum Member

I bought the guitar new from a reputable Fender authorized dealer, so I couldn't imagine there was any part swapping nonsense prior to me taking the guitar home! The only "flaw" on this beauty is in fact the bit of paint that is chipped off the corner of the trem block.

Here is the reference to the paint in the EJ Sig Strat Fender description: "Other features include a parchment ’57-style pickguard, four-spring vintage tremolo, silver-painted block and ’57-style string recess with no paint between the base plate and the block."

Kinda weird huh? But I thought that since this "painted block" is supposed to be a special "feature" of the model, I had to wonder if it would actually hold up on a part that is going to be moving on a regular basis.

precbs,
    I'm not an EJ owner but would like to concur with cooltone on the trem spring issue. I could not get my trem arm to seat nearly enough with that spring in there. I went very slow, and methodical, so as not to strip the threads in my 62 thin skin RI, and it was simply unusable till I scrapped the spring. I actually don't understand why they call it a spring; it's as rigid as a small steel cylinder. I just thought this might be helpful to you. Enjoy your new EJ.
    John Sr.

Forum Member

I guess the important point is the lack of paint between the base plate and block. When you mentioned the paint, I was thinking of the non-EJ blocks. I have a trem block from a CS 65NOS sitting in front of me, and it is has an obvious coat of paint all over it. When I compare it to the block in my EJ, the EJ actually looks unpainted, but when I look more closely, it looks as if the EJ's block does have a thin coat of pain on it. Anyway, I wouldn't worry about any paint chipping on this. The part may move, but it doesn't move against anything else.