Thread: 2 Amp Setup

2 Amp Setup

Been working in a new band and have been having fun tailoring my gear setup accordingly.

I'm the only guitarist so I decided to give the 2 amp setup a chance again as it always sounds so BIG in my livingroom. For most songs I keep one slightly overdriven with an OCD pedal and the other clean. Have a Stereo Boss Chorus that also sounds great w/ 2 amps.

Of course now I have concerns on how a sound person will mix the 2 amps and how this will sound on different stages where I might have to place them in less than optimal positions.

Both the amps are Fender Princeton's so it's not really that more more effort to carry 2 amps around and I will also have that backup amp in case one goes out.

So it's a fun little experiment and I'll see how it works out.

Forum Member

Re: 2 Amp Setup

Pan one about 3 'oclock and the other about 9. Should sound good. If you use the chorus a lot, pan hard left and right.
    Doug

Are the PA's you're using stereo? I find that wider panning of the signals from the guitar amps can be a bad idea because you don't get a full picture in both speaker stacks.

I employ a 2-amp setup at my church, but the sound guy only pans them to 10 and 2, and I'm really only using stereo delay, so the main tone goes to both speaker stacks. (I do use reverb and vibrato on only one amp - but both amps do get the same overdrive).

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

I use a wet/dry mix live to keep the amp lugging to a minimum. I have a blend pot on the loop controller for my pedalboard.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

when i mixed i'd never pan stuff hard, reason being is the guy drinking beer on the stage left side won't hear your killer OD tone if it's coming out the other speaker...YMMV.

i play two amps in my band, and the guitar player plays two amps in the band i play bass in. it's sort of a bi-amp deal. my tweed deluxe takes most of the bass and mids (i have the tone rolled back on the amp) and my ampeg takes a lot of the highs (tone rolled way up). on their own they sound not so good but once layered it's an awesome tone. smooth and creamy with bite.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

In an ideal situation the hard pan sounds nice but doing it live will most likely give the audience and unbalanced sound as ChuckoCaster pointed out.

Without having ones own sound person its a roll of the dice as to how well they will balance the 2 amps and the PA systems may or may not be running in stereo. Regardless I'll be giving it a shot and see how it goes.

Forum Member

Stuff to consider: Most of the time the guitar is too loud in the house to the folks the amp is pointed at, and a bunch of mud to everyone else. I'd expect dual amps to be even worse. If you turn then down, then you'll have to worry about two mics picking up cymbal and snare bleed.

TFF Stage Crew

Good advice Timmy, but you might consider not trying to offer advice in threads that are this old. Feel free to read and enjoy (if applicable) any of our old threads, but responding to a 5-month-old thread is usually a swing & and miss.