Thread: "Beefing" up a Fender amp back panels

LoveBandit

"Beefing" up a Fender amp back panels

In the spirit of fixing what isn't really broken, we all know how thin and "bendy" the back panel is on the DRRI, Twin Reverb, Twin and other Fender amps like my Pro Tube Pro Reverb. It does not bother me on my DRRI because it is a light amp, but I would like to address this "problem" on my ~75 lb. PT Pro Reverb.

I have heard (on another forum I think) how somebody used "wide oak strips" to strengthen the back panels. Has anybody here done this? Any suggestions on how to do it (glue, etc?) I do NOT want the back panels to stick out from the back of the amp so if I laminate some oak "strips" to the backs (toward the chassis) of the current tolex panels and cut them off short so they don't extend to the screw holes, will this negate any stiffening effect because the strips don't go all the way across the board?

I guess my question is how would you all go about it IF you were inclined to do this? thanks, LB.

Re: "Beefing" up a Fender amp back panels

Why would you need to? There isn't any weight being supported by the back panel, is there? There is a marginal amount of room in the back, and the increase in strength with therefor be marginal.

On my Twin that I just redid, I used 1/4 in. ply and stained it to match the amp cab. Then I used clear lacquer on the whole thing. It came out nice and is much stronger than the masonite stuff from the factory. I'll post some pics in the next few days on the "Silverface parts" thread.
    ...and on the 8th day, God created the Super Reverb and there was ROCK, and it was GOOD!

LoveBandit

I cannot speak for others but I was going to beef it up to make if more secure on an amp stand and to cure some cabinet rattle at HIGH volume levels......and I mean HIGH volume levels. LB (what'd you just say?)

Quote Originally Posted by LoveBandit View Post
    I cannot speak for others but I was going to beef it up to make if more secure on an amp stand and to cure some cabinet rattle at HIGH volume levels......and I mean HIGH volume levels. LB (what'd you just say?)
    You really gonna hear that back panel rattle at the volumes you're talking about? My bet would be that you'd be hearing other things rattle as well and the back panel would be the least of your worries.

You need to turn that amp up louder!

LoveBandit

You have a valid point.....at the volumes I was playing at earlier today, it could have been my nextdoor neighbor's amp rattling..... 8-) LB