Thread: Am.Dlx. fret information

Am.Dlx. fret information

I've got an 05 Am.Dlx. Strat that I play about 2 hours a night almost every night. I am blown away at how much the frets have worn down. It's not like it's badly grooved from string pressure, but the frets are flattened out bad from the 1st up to the 4th string where I obviously do most of my string bending, and vibrato. This guitar has the nicest fret work of any guitar I've ever owned, bar none, so I really want to keep it as close as I can to the condition they were in when new. Now I know that they are going to wear down some but I'm blown away at how much they have worn. What is the usual life of the frets on a strat, and does anyone know what wire they use on the Am.Dlx. models for replacement purposes in the future? Thanks guys.
    John Sr.

Re: Am.Dlx. fret information

I've noticed fretwear issues with factory made Fenders as well. They seem to mushroom like an olf chisel with the edges becoming sharp.
    Could it be that they don't work harden the frets properly before installation?

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I've noticed fretwear issues with factory made Fenders as well. They seem to mushroom like an olf chisel with the edges becoming sharp.
    Could it be that they don't work harden the frets properly before installation?
    I'll be darned if I know Don. I do know that I've never had an axe where the frets became so worn so quickly. It still plays and sounds great but I can see it coming down the pike. I always thought that even touring professionals got years of fret life before a refret was needed. I know they need to be dressed occasionally, but I'm a little bummed at how fast mine have worn, and don't really know why. Does anyone know what fret wire they use on the Am.Dlx. series?
    John Sr.

I'm not sure but I have the v-neck version of the same guitar and after playing it less than a year the frets needed a dress IIRC. Given I WAS stringing it with 13's but regardless I think I'll replace 1-5 with stainless frets. I figure by the time I wear the stainless ones down the rest will need to be done as well.

itbepopples,
    Obviously 13's would help accelerate the wearing down process, but I'm using 9's on mine. Where could I find out what fret wire is being used on the Am.Dlx? I've emailed Fender and have had no response from them so far. I've had some of my guitars for over 20 years, and the fret wear is no where near what I've got on this 2 year old Deluxe.
    John Sr.

Are you looking to find replacement wire or simply to do some research into the Fender stuff? I'm not sure yet if Fender sells fretwire but they might. I'll check around here and see if I can track down the fretwire they use.

EDIT: It seems Fender sells their own Jumbo fretwire which I assume, is the same stuff they use in the factories?

I'd like to know the fret wire they use so I can get the same stuff when I do have a refret done. I know there are different sizes or gauges of wire for different models. I've trid to search for that info. on the web bit I've had no luck.
    John Sr.

Quote Originally Posted by hvnbownd1@cox.net View Post
    I'd like to know the fret wire they use so I can get the same stuff when I do have a refret done. I know there are different sizes or gauges of wire for different models. I've trid to search for that info. on the web bit I've had no luck.
    John Sr.
    I can take a set of calipers and measure the height and width of my frets and report back to you if you'd like. I love the fretwork on my strat and I'll check to see how the frets on my Strat compare to the fretwire from Stewmac. But more important than the actual fretwire is who does your frets. I'll check that wire size for you though.

Thank you very much Bro'. There is a girl close to where I live that is a fabulous luthier. She studied under a gentleman here in our area, who was nationally reknown. He passed away, and she has taken care of all his people, and established a customer base of her own as well. She is an authorized Fender,Gibson,Martin,Taylor,ect.,ect. tech. So she'll be doing any work I get done. Every time I walk in her shop there are pre-war Martins or vintage LP's getting neck resets. or refrets, as well as any other job they made need, so she is well versed in top dollar guitar work. I too. love the frets on my am. dlx. strat. That's why I'm concerned with keeping them like they came from the shop. Thanks again for measuring the frets.
    John Sr.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hvnbownd1@cox.net View Post
    I've got an 05 Am.Dlx. Strat that I play about 2 hours a night almost every night. I am blown away at how much the frets have worn down. It's not like it's badly grooved from string pressure, but the frets are flattened out bad from the 1st up to the 4th string where I obviously do most of my string bending, and vibrato. This guitar has the nicest fret work of any guitar I've ever owned, bar none, so I really want to keep it as close as I can to the condition they were in when new. Now I know that they are going to wear down some but I'm blown away at how much they have worn. What is the usual life of the frets on a strat, and does anyone know what wire they use on the Am.Dlx. models for replacement purposes in the future? Thanks guys.
    John Sr.
    John,

I got this off the Fender site:

Fingerboard Rosewood (p/n 010-1200) or Maple (p/n 010-1202), 9.5” Radius (241mm)
    No. of Frets 22 Medium Jumbo Frets

I thought they were Medium Jumbo, as they seem to use the same wire on the American Standard... My favorite fret gauge.

King Bugsy

Thanks KB,
    Ya know I've read that spec chart a million times, and somehow I just looked right over that "medium Jumbo" listing. My world is right again.
    John Sr.