Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fake aged guitars...

TFF Stage Crew

Fake aged guitars...

are killer! I'm not sure whether or not to put these in The Clone Zone. They are mostly Fender parts, so I guess it falls here.
    Check out the finished products:

The Teal Strat really doesn't have a different shade from front to back. It's just partly cloudy today & as I shot the phtots the lighting changed.
    The Shell Pink Strat has a little checking but it's nearly impossible to see. The Teal is covered w/fine crazing. Not the spider-web spray can type, either. I helped it along a little, but most of it came from just sitting in the garage all winter.
    They play great, & every piece was selected & assembled by myself. The Shell Strat is extremely lightweight & has a great tone. Lots of mids. The Teal one is heavier, but not uncomfortably so.
    I just can't bring myself to "age" the necks, though. I don't think I'll need to. I made sure the lacquer went on pretty thin.
    Last edited by Cogs; 02-18-2008 at 06:41 AM.

TFF Stage Crew

Re: Fake aged guitars...

I am seriously in love with the Shell Pink one. Very nice work!

+1, but I think the pink one should get a moto guard too!
    ...and on the 8th day, God created the Super Reverb and there was ROCK, and it was GOOD!

Quote Originally Posted by flintpunk View Post
    +1, but I think the pink one should get a moto guard too!
    Actually, I would switch the two. I'd take the blue one with the plain guard. Those both look awesome, though!

I love em both
    Formerly Bluesgtr20

Quote Originally Posted by 71818 View Post
    are killer! I'm not sure whether or not to put these in The Clone Zone or not. They are mostly Fender parts, so I guess it falls here.
    Check out the finished products:

The Teal Strat really doesn't have a different shade from front to back. It's just partly cloudy today & as I shot the phtots the lighting changed.
    The Shell Pink Strat has a little checking but it's nearly impossible to see. The Teal is covered w/fine crazing. Not the spider-web spray can type, either. I helped it along a little, but most of it came from just sitting in the garage all winter.
    They play great, & every piece was selected & assembled by myself. The Shell Strat is extremely lightweight & has a great tone. Lots of mids. The Teal one is heavier, but not uncomfortably so.
    I just can't bring myself to "age" the necks, though. I don't think I'll need to. I made sure the lacquer went on pretty thin.
    How do you do the aging???
    Last edited by Cogs; 04-08-2008 at 12:11 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka View Post
    Real men wear pink. I love the pink one.
    That's what i think:

Real man play pink guitars.

Another admirer of the pink guitar. That's just tooo cool..

Gravity Jim

71818, you have a real fine hand with the aging thing. That "dinged but not through the paint" gouge on the front of the teal one is awesome.

Well, they're both really nicely done, and I concur: the pink one rules.

Formerly joe mama

Those look great!

If you wouldn't have pointed out these were fake aged guitars I never would have guessed. You did good. I think they both look cool.

But I really don't care for pearl pick guards and prefer a plain understated look.

I agree. Fake aged guitars are cool (specially when they're pink)

This tele is a '73 that was stripped by the PO. I aged it match the neck.

On the pickguards...

One thing I've noticed is that old greenguards warp and bend in cool ways with age. I'm the only person I've ever seen who warps the guard to simulate this effect. The easiest way is to fold bits of paper and put it under the guard to both sides of where screws are. The guard will bend pretty convincingly.

Real guard:

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by demioblue View Post
    How do you do the aging???
    So glad you asked!!! lol
    I've posted this info so many times I'm sure anybody reading my threads in the Clone Zone is sick of it by now. But here goes-
    Because I don't have a proper spray booth, & just spray the guitars in my driveway (I tried using the garage, but it filled up w/vapor & then every flat surface was covered in a fine dust of Fiesta Red), I tend to get some junk in the finish.
    I follow the normal procedure for finishing until I get to the very end, before buffing. At that point, I check the finish for any flaws, i.e. bugs, lint, or debris that are in the finish from being painted outside. I take an exacto knife or a long needle & dig out any particles. Then I wet sand w/1500 & then 2000 paper & buff the finish out using two pads. One is for the white polishing compound & the second is an ultra-fine pad for use w/Scratch-X or some similar stuff (it's kinda like toothpaste).
    Note: If you ever have the opportunity to check out some real vintage guitars at a show or a shop or wherever, you'll notice that some dings have smooth edges & others are "fresh", having jagged edges. That is because in the real world of a guitar's life it never stops getting dinged & scratched. Older dings get buffed out w/normal use, & others occurred last time the thing was played & leaned up against an amp. This is why I ding the guitar throughout the buffing stages.
    Once I get a mirror finish, the guitar is pretty much set. At this point I assemble the guitar & then may use some more 1500 grit or I might even use a small paintbrush & some stripper to "ding" the body or remove the paint from larger areas. I did this on the front contour of the Shell Pink Strat & on the back contours of both of them. Then I attack these areas again w/the 1500-2000 to take off any ragged edges & smooth out the transition between ambered clear, to clear, to pigmented coats, to primer, & finally the wood in some places. Some areas only get a light sanding to remove some amber. This is more evident on the Shell Pink Strat: Notice the "glow" around the edge of the back contour.
    I took a key ring from my work & gently swung them at the body, being careful not to overdo it. I've never seen a guitar that was not aged enough, but I'd bet we've all seen them that were overdone.
    For some reason, the Teal Strat body checked during the last winter but the Shell body did not. There are a few lines, but they are all but invisible & you really have to hunt for them. Soon I'll post a pic of a Musicmaster body I did at the same time & it is covered w/fine cracks.
    Another coupla notes: I even stuck the bodies in a big commercial freezer at my work for a number of hours & then set them in the sun. The Teal body checked even more, the back is completely covered w/lines.
    You might notice a few dark spots on the Teal body; for the last step I went to the auto parts store & bought a small bottle of touch-up paint, just approximating the color. Then I painted a few dings on the body. This was done deliberately to mimic a guitar I once saw years ago. At some point someone had "repaired" some dings w/what I'm guessing was nail polish. I'm sure when it was done the color was close but over the years the clear nitro continued to yellow & the color continued to fade. The result was pretty bad at some point, but when I saw the guitar these areas had aged as well, albeit in a different manner from the rest of the guitar. When I saw the guitar it evoked certain thoughts: I imagined some kid trying to fix his brother's or dad's guitar, or some teenager trying to spruce up his axe before an important gig (maybe a school dance?). For some reason it just struck me as cool, & I remebered it as I was doing this guitar.
    The ding on the front of the Teal Strat that Gravity Jim noticed was to cover a scratch that I must have failed to sand out properly when I was prepping the wood. I wasn't apparent until I put on a coat or two of the Teal. You cant really sand metallic colors w/out messing up, so even though the clear coats were smooth as glass, there was a flaw visible. there.
    Thaks everyone for the compliments! And Thanks to Tommy & Andy at USACG for the killer necks!

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Wilko View Post
    On the pickguards...

One thing I've noticed is that old greenguards warp and bend in cool ways with age. I'm the only person I've ever seen who warps the guard to simulate this effect. The easiest way is to fold bits of paper and put it under the guard to both sides of where screws are. The guard will bend pretty convincingly.
    I'm going to have to try this on a plastic Mint Green guard mounted to a piece of plywood. Do you think a low heat applied (maybe just sunlight) may cause it to stay that way?

That stuff ought to be made into a "Sticky," like Kap'n's (?) amp info.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

I'm going to have to try this on a plastic Mint Green guard mounted to a piece of plywood. Do you think a low heat applied (maybe just sunlight) may cause it to stay that way?
    I haven't yet heated one screwed to wood, but I've thought about it. It should work.
    I would like to get a more realistic look. My real one looks almost like it's being blown out like a balloon or something.

[bent wrist]...i love the pink one...

and i agree w/ fezz if 'parchment' means 'mint'
    Imanidiot.

Forum Member

i would have guessed the shell pink to be Salmon.Nice. My relic is nearing completeion and I will post pics eventually.

TFF Stage Crew

If I hadn't tinted the lacquer it would look more "pink".
    Pics of the Musicmaster (w/out ANY clearcoats) to come. Then you'll see what Shell Pink looked like new.

Great job, I'm digging both of them, but the pink is awesome. And I say that even though the teal is my fav color.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

i just dont get it...not only do i not relic my guitars,i actually try to keep them looking new.(sighs)

Quote Originally Posted by pc View Post
    I am seriously in love with the Shell Pink one. Very nice work!
    Me too.....that shell pink is addictive.
    A friend has one from the '90s (MIJ)....it must weigh about 5 lbs.
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
    i just dont get it...not only do i not relic my guitars,i actually try to keep them looking new.(sighs)
    It's rough, ain't it?

I just dont't get it?????????????????????????????????
    Why not just let the instrument age gracefully instead of manually trying to age and predict the wear, for what!!!
    Look I've got a fu..d up instrument instead of this old well looked after 60's mint condition, thats what we are all looking for on flea bay arn't we

I think you would be more attracted to a well looked after, better taken care of vintage instrument than one that looks beatup, scared, belt buckled etc. so what's the fascination with, fender, gibson making aged, reliced, beatup guitars at rediculously high prices, or even the highly sought after way over priced murphy pieces?

71818 and others if you did the work on those guitars as a testament to your ability to make these guitars appear old, then you did a good job as they look authentic, and it is nicely crafted work.

However, i am personally not attracted to guitars that look beat up, the first attraction is how it looks, if i can't get by that i will probably not get to the most important step of how does it sound. Would i ever buy a beat up looking guitar, that played and sounded fantastic, YES. But buying somthing off of the internet, be it new from gibson or fender or ebay never gives you the listening, playing test anyway, so would i buy a reliced guitar at a premium price because it was made to look old, no way. there is no guarantee that it will sound like somebodies numero uno that is so good it has been gigged non stop.

I'm 61 and in pretty good shape, kind of an exercise fanatic, i would rather somebody say hey that dude can't be 61 he looks pretty good, not well what can you expect he is a musician and played, and partied 3 or 4 nights a week for the last 45 years, no wonder he looks 70.

Maybe not the best analogy, but you probably get my drift, i have played professionally since the early 60's and dings happen, sweat happens, but i have never intentionally scratched slammed, burnt or slammed my guitar or amps, but i have wiped them down, and polished them etc.

To each his own, for me it has always been about the music anyway.

peace

I am a firm believer that everyone should have a choice, so if part of your art is relicing these guitars, carry on, it is another expression of your talent

TFF Stage Crew

71818, I just don't get relic guitars. Therefore, based on my opinion also being cosmically correct, you shouldn't enjoy those guitars you just made.
    Last edited by pc; 04-15-2007 at 07:33 AM. Reason: My first response was "over the top" to say the least. ;-)

To each his own. Guitars are like women. Some guys like them to look like pampered high-society women, I like em' a little trashy and slutty. It's all good.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I've never understood the "fake aging". That being said, I those look great.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar_Mc View Post
    I've never understood the "fake aging...

Never bought a pair of jeans? Just kidding. But I think it's the same deal.

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka View Post
    I don't understand anything. But, now I want a pink Strat.
    I just don't know, pink strats don't get very good review at Harmony Central.

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    To each his own. Guitars are like women. Some guys like them to look like pampered high-society women, I like em' a little trashy and slutty. It's all good.
    GOOSEBUMPS, baby, goosebumps!

it-is-all-good.
    Imanidiot.

TFF Stage Crew

Well guys, in my case it's not a choice between an aged guitar & a pristine guitar. It's a choice between an aged guitar & a guitar w/gnats & lint in the finish because I don't have a spray booth.
    So all you relic haters (the Cosmetically Correct, lol) can comfort yourselves w/the fact that I was forced to do it. I really didn't want to. In fact, I'm really embarassed by them & so promise never to play them outside the house.
    If that's not a good enough answer for you, well then until you find a way to make it illegal for someone to do what they want w/their guitars, you can kiss my hairy, aged &ss!
    There's no accounting for taste, is there?
    Last edited by Cogs; 04-15-2007 at 08:51 AM.

Thanks frank. I consider you a kindred spirit. You GET it!

TFF Stage Crew

Well guys, in my case it's not a choice between an aged guitar & a pristine guitar. It's a choice between an aged guitar & a guitar w/gnats & lint in the finish because I don't have a spray booth.
    So all you relic haters (the Cosmetically Correct, lol) can comfort yourselves w/the fact that I was forced to do it. I really didn't want to. In fact, I'm really embarassed by them & so promise never to play them outside the house.
    If that's not a good enough answer for you, well then until you find a way to make it illegal for someone to do what they want w/their guitars, you can kiss my hairy, aged &ss!
    There's no accounting for taste, is there?

All those guys who don't "get the aging thing" would want their gnats and hairs to be shiny NOS gnats and hairs.

Forum Member

im not really a relic "hater",in fact they look as good as any relic i have ever seen,did not mean to offend you.its just that i was poor for a while so i try to treat my toys nice...my 93 honda looks like its only 2 or 3 years old.i just meant its not my thing...but not everyone digs my honda either.

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Thanks frank. I consider you a kindred spirit. You GET it!
    Imanidiot.

Forum Member

I too, don't get it. Please understand I am not flaming anyone. I am a firm believer in "to each his own". With that being said I guess I am the opposite of someone that wants a reliced guitar, fake or real. My entire life I have worked hard for everything, my house, cars, motorcycles and other things. I am compulsive about keeping them pristine. While many of my toys have nicks or dings in them, I do everything I possibly can to keep it from happening. I could not fathom the thought of intentionally defacing them.