Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else feel this way about stickers on guitars?

Anyone else feel this way about stickers on guitars?

It may just be me, but when I see a guitar that has stickers plastered all over the body, I just cringe. Now, I'm all for customizing your guitar, especially your strat, but I just don't believe stickers belong on it.

I guess I just think strats look better with their original paintjob. Now, don't confuse my outlook with paintjobs. IE the Hendrix strat in my avatar, sometimes custom paintjobs look amazing, but I'm just not a fan of stickers.

But to all of you who enjoy placing stickers on your guitars, more power to you.

I'm not trying to be ignorant, and if I offend anyone, I did not mean to and apologize in advance.

Any agreeing, differing opinions?
    "...And so castles made of sand...slip into the sea...eventually."

Re: Anyone else feel this way about stickers on guitars?

Here is one sticker tele that I love.

None on my guitars but it doesn't bother me on others. It certainly wouldn't dissuade me from buying one that felt, played and sounded right.

I think stickers make most guitars look more interesting.

Stickers are like folk art if I like them. Juvenile if I don't.

TT
    On SmartPhones:

"Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But That only permitted other men with machines to enslave them." Frank Herbert.

Formerly joe mama

Yeah I hate it too. It just reminds me of all the skater kids a few years back. They all did it to their Squiers. Not so much anymore. It's dated I guess.

The old school guys always did it to their cases.

Anybody see the Allstar basketball dunk competition? Did you see that sticker-dunk? That was schaweet!

Evanston IL, or Bluffton OH... which ever comes first.

I like them in moderation

or when they work together, so it doesn't become a cacophony of stickers.

Off topic photo:
    "The other Shaltanac's joopleberry shrub is always a more mauvy shade of pinky-russet."

"there's NOTHING WRONG with a live penguin, but...I expected a hamburger!"

I dig the clover.
    "The other Shaltanac's joopleberry shrub is always a more mauvy shade of pinky-russet."

It doesn't matter what I think. People buy their guitars and can do whatever they want to them. Music is about expressing yourself, so if you like stickers go for it. I'm for anything that makes the player happy.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    It doesn't matter what I think. People buy their guitars and can do whatever they want to them. Music is about expressing yourself, so if you like stickers go for it. I'm for anything that makes the player happy.

+1
    Tone is in the fingers, eh? Let's hear your Vox, Marshall and Fender fingerings then...

Forum Member

I generally don't like them, but I couldn't resist putting a "period correct" Greg Noll Surfboards sticker on my CS Fiesta Red Strat!

TFF Stage Crew

+2. I'd never put a sticker on one of mine, and I might cringe if I see one on "vintage" guitar, but if someone else likes 'em on their guitar, that's cool with me.

I'm with the if you makes you happy camp. It sure would turn me off if the guitar was for sale.

I once put a temporary sticker on my LP when I played a political event as the guitar is kind of like a billboard on stage. Scotch tape came off without any damage.

Gravity Jim

I dig that Tele up above. If you're gonna go stickers, go big or go home!

Seriously, how's it any different than paint?

I've come with an eyelash of taking a woodburner to my Zencaster a half dozen times. Only sudden bursts of lucidity (as it relates to my drawing skills) stopped me.

...No stickers allowed on my guitars... except one 89 Clapton Strat which originally came to Australia and has got the sticker of Fender Australia on the backside of the headstock... this one stayed there, because I consider it as a part of the guitar's history...

That's it...

PIT...

Quote Originally Posted by boobtube21 View Post
    Micheal Angelo, huh?
    Yeah well, Micheal Angelo Batio is his full name. This one is not a very good painter or sculptor, but...
    Boundaries
    Nitro

80's rock to the extremes!
    four neck guitar in action
    Last edited by Jonnda; 02-19-2007 at 01:01 PM.

I have a bass with a whole bunch of stickers on it - mostly Pink Floyd ones. Why did I put them on? I don't recall, it's been a while, but it seemed a good idea at the time. I also do like it with this one.
    I have a BCRICH with coffee cup on there,
    and a sparkle/holo skeleton on my Tele. Oh yeah, and the label from a Tabasco bottle taped onto a red Epi 335 that I've nicknamed, Red Hot.
    None of my others have anything after the fact.
    I guess the point is that I have no problem with people who want to put stickers on, unl;ess I have to get them off because I work in the guitar store and can't sell it with nekkid people and curses all over it.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Don't care much for them, personally I can't see myself putting any on mine. Terry Kath's guitar was ugly as hell with stickers, but he sure played the hell out of it. I know, not a strat. Sorry.

Duluth, MN. Birthplace of Bobby Zimmerman

There are certain people who I immediately think about when it comes to stickers on guitars.. Joan Jett or Joe Strummer, etc.

They seem cool to me and their guitars seem cool to me. I bet they have/had cool stories to tell about each one, too. Not like me, some dink who thinks it might be cool to put a vans sticker on my squier 'cause I'm bored....
    "If you're cool, you don't know nothin' about it. It just is...or you ain't." - Keith Richards

What about the Alligator?

Forum Member

Personally, I could care less what other people do to their guitars. Why??? It ain't mine!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnda View Post

Ugh. I knew there was a reason I never watched emptyvee.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

I have one that has a RWB Mudflap girl on it (Window film type)
    and evil eyes on the back, under it..."Does not play well with others"
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Quote Originally Posted by LittleVoodooWing View Post
    I'm not trying to be ignorant, ...
    Pheeeww!

The only time stickers, or anything else on a guitar finish would bug me would be in the event that I was buying it from an owner who fancied stickers.
    My M77 T belonged to someone who thought it was hip to never clean his guitar after sweating profusely all over it.
    Blekk...
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Forum Member

Definately wouldn't put any on most of my stuff but there's always that one time where it fits.

Forum Member

It may just be me, but when I see a guitar that has stickers plastered all over the body, I just cringe. Now, I'm all for customizing your guitar, especially your strat, but I just don't believe stickers belong on it.

I guess I just think strats look better with their original paintjob. Now, don't confuse my outlook with paintjobs. IE the Hendrix strat in my avatar, sometimes custom paintjobs look amazing, but I'm just not a fan of stickers.

But to all of you who enjoy placing stickers on your guitars, more power to you.

I'm not trying to be ignorant, and if I offend anyone, I did not mean to and apologize in advance.

Any agreeing, differing opinions?
    If you offend anyone, hopefully over time, the scars will heal. I have threestickers on my strat, the ones that came with it from fender, on the pickguard and backplate. have no desire to remove them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnda View Post
    Yeah well, Micheal Angelo Batio is his full name. This one is not a very good painter or sculptor, but...
    Boundaries
    Nitro

How's he change guitars so fast?

That song with the band Nitro is THE worst hair metal song I've ever heard. Some hair metal I don't find all that offensive but that singer should be ashamed of himself. What a kook.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by boobtube21 View Post
    Some hair metal I don't find all that offensive but that singer should be ashamed of himself. What a kook.
    However, followers of the Discovery Channel's series "MythBusters" will recognize that vocalist as one of the first people to be recorded in history, and the first on video, as being able to shatter a wine glass with his voice.

Useless knowledge, sure, but somehow still kinda cool.

MAB is a loser. 'Nuff said.

Stickers on guitars can go either way honestly. When they mean something, or have a message to deliver, that's one thing...but when they seem random and ill thought, which is typically easy to tell right away, that's when they make me, not cringe but, think to myself "what were they thinking?". Again, like I said you can usually tell when they are random stickers placed. That's just my opinion on it though, not that it matters because people will either have a message or be random no matter what, oh well.

~finchy

It may just be me, but when I see a guitar that has stickers plastered all over the body, I just cringe.
    I hate stickers on guitars too.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Finchy View Post
    MAB is a loser. 'Nuff said.
    I don't like his style, but I respect his technique, and acknowledge the fact that he can outplay pretty much anyone on this forum.

I have a single little sticker on my Telecaster. Neither I or others that have seen my guitar don't have a problem with it.

I also had a acoustic guitar soft-case full of stickers that I traded in a store...I saw the SAME guitar case at a gig a year later.<lol>

Quote Originally Posted by surfreak View Post
    I don't like his style, but I respect his technique, and acknowledge the fact that he can outplay pretty much anyone on this forum.
    Yeah, he's fast, but I don't want to hear anything he has to play anyway. I wouldn't necessarily call him a loser but I could certainly care less if he can 'outplay' me in HIS way. Which is probably better described as 'out-shred'.

MAB is certainly not a loser; he has made a living playing the style of music he likes to worldwide acclaim. Whether you like his music or not is absolutely irrelevant--the guy can PLAY (and not just shred, either).

Besides, despite the fact that he's quite easy to pick on (the multi-necked guitars, the bad mullet toupee and 'shred' persona) he is a superior guitarist and usually isn't playing at light speed except for short bursts.
    Tone is in the fingers, eh? Let's hear your Vox, Marshall and Fender fingerings then...

When I first started playing, it was the late 80s. Hairbands ruled the earth and stickers were common on guitars with my teen generation. Even though everyone else was doing it, I couldn't bring myself to do it. By the way, I am the same with my surfboards. I hate the look of stickers on both.
    I took a few years off from playing and started back up again when I found a BC Rich Warlock for $80. Not really my kind of guitar but the price was great, (I sold it a couple of months later for $125 minus the Marshall mini amp that it came with). The first thing I did was remove the Limp Biscuit; Evanessance and other like stickers from the guitar when I bought it. I agree to each his own but I always associate stickers with brand new players who are more concerned with band image and less into wanting to play guitar. I know there are exceptions but that is my impression.
    If I stopped buying Strats, I would probably get better at playing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidhouse View Post
    ... I agree to each his own but I always associate stickers with brand new players who are more concerned with band image and less into wanting to play guitar. I know there are exceptions but that is my impression.
    SRV, Keith Richards, all the posers.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

SRV, Keith Richards, all the posers.
    Yes, yes those were the posers I was referring to. Now that we're on the subject of posers, that Clapton dude is a poser too. ; )
    If I stopped buying Strats, I would probably get better at playing them.

poser: a person who poses

poseur: a person who pretends to be what he or she is not; an affected or insincere person

And let's not forget Alvin Lee. What a wannabe guitarist!

-Mark

They all posed at one time or another. And Well I think rather highly of Al Lee, he is a poser:

Clapton probably posed for these, but his poses are not as obvious:

SRV is a major poser, but he had a good photographer:

And as for Keith? Well, I think it's obvious... but I'll let you be the judge:

What a pose ladies and gentlemen! We have a winner!