Thread: Does anyone use a volume pedal?

Does anyone use a volume pedal?

I've been listening to some '60 and '70's stuff lately and now I'm thinking of adding a volume pedal to the mix.

any comments or suggestions?
    You can never have too
    much music in your life.

Forum Member
    I have a Dunlop volume pedal that is real cool.You're right about alot of the 70's guys using them.It does make a nice effect when doing swells with 5ths!!!!
    I put mine in front of everything else in the chain,but it doesn't matter where it goes I guess. Mine gets used quite regularly.
    That's my :2c worth

I have a Dunlop Volume Pedal too...

I've placed it all over my effects chains over the years.

I am using it last in my chain now. When I want to do a silent tune, I can cut the signal to my amp and my tuner can still sense my guitar signal.

It's a good idea to place it after a noisy, or unruly effect so you can kill the noise between songs, or silent passages. There's nothing worse than loosing control of feedback at the wrong time.

I think it's a good tool to add expression and accents with the Sweet Swell of Success.

Peace

Forum Member
    Formerly Stroker Ace
    I have a Dunlop in my pedal board second from last in the chain (my delay being last).

Originally posted by Stroker Ace
    I have a Dunlop in my pedal board second from last in the chain (my delay being last).
    That's where I used to use mine.

volume pedal

i use a very old one that has a wire rope wrapped around a volume potentiometer i dont kno its brand i bought it 20 yrs ago at a yardsale for $3 i use it to add my wet amp to my mix live and to add power for solos
    it feeds a pre stage of my old favorite 62 bassman head I love having control of a amp when you need the extra depth / punch to come out of the mix i use it alot and i just use tv tuner cleaner to clean out the potenometer pot when i need to but its built like a tank mine weighs around 2 or 3 lbs its very old

volume pedals can be very useful in a signal chain ernieball makes a nice pan volume pedal also dual type of pedal i am going to buy one soon

Forum Member
    He used to cut the grass...But now his mind is totally destroyed by music.
    I have a mono Earnie Ball volume pedal.

Forum Member
    I must be the only dope that still uses the volume knob.

i bought one a while back so that i can take my tuner out of my signal chain. it is not that it turns my tone to crap, but it does sound better without it. and bob, don't worry, i use my vol knob also.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

I did for several years until a couple months ago, when I started using a boost. It's really the opposite philosophy; adding to what you start with rather than keeping the vol a bit backed off, then going to full for solos. Why? Time for a change. The vol pedal is cool, though, as it's easier to get some in between settings rather than 2 fixed levels (although now I do that with my vol knob on the axe). I just like kicking the amp a little harder now. I may well go back to a vol pedal sometime, but the one I have (RFX) is a cheesy POS; gotta find something better...

(edit)- I ran it 1st in line, 'cause I dug getting less OD/distortion with it backed off, so when I turned it up, the gain also came up.
    Last edited by Doug H; 09-18-2003 at 05:32 AM.