Thread: "06" IBANEZ AR300 Help.

"06" IBANEZ AR300 Help.

As I mentioned in another thread in another heading, I have an IBANEZ AR300 that I bought last summer to take on vacation as a sort of an "I won't get too upset if it gets damaged, lost, or stolen" guitar since I didn't want to take either of my Les Pauls out on vacation . I've been going back and forth as to whether I want to keep this guitar or get rid of it. If I keep it I might do some mods to it such as a bone nut and different pickups. I've posted some questions on the IBANEZ Forum but I get a lot of BS answers and crap about how totally awesome they are (better than FENDERs or GIBSONs). The AR300s are decent guitars and sound reasonably good, but since I've purchased my two Strats recently I'm even more confused!

My question is... would it be worth it to do some upgrades like Seymour Duncan pickups and a bone nut, just leave it as is and enjoy it for what it is, trade it in on another Les Paul (I have some upgrade LP parts that are just screaming to be installed on another Les Paul), or should I trade it in on a Telecaster? If I put new pickups on it something more vintage sounding - not real high gain), what would be your recommendations?

Thanks!!
    ~Yardbird~

"03" Les Paul Standard (Ebony finish)
    "04" Les Paul 1959 Reissue (DarkBurst)
    "04" FENDER Standard Stratocaster (Sage Green) Rosewood fretboard - 2004 model

2011 FENDER Deluxe Reverb RI
    2012 MESA/Boogie Express 5:50
    2013 MESA/Boogie Express 5:50 plus head with 2 23" 1 X 12 MESA LoneStar cabs

Re: "06" IBANEZ AR300 Help.

I'm not that familiar with that model Ibanez though I've seen pics online and always sorta drooled. I've had other models.

I will say that the weakest part of their guitars is the electronics. I've found the craftsmanship and finish to be top notch. The electronics are crap for the most part, especially in the lower price range.

So, you put some decent pickups and especially pots and caps in them and you got yourself a very fine instrument. Better than Fender or Gibson? That's subjective. However, my experience was that you could easily get a "professional" level instrument by getting a fairly cheap Ibanez and upgrading its electronics for a LOT cheaper than buying a new Gibson.
    s'all goof.

Re: "06" IBANEZ AR300 Help.

Quote Originally Posted by curtisstetka View Post
    I'm not that familiar with that model Ibanez though I've seen pics online and always sorta drooled. I've had other models.

I will say that the weakest part of their guitars is the electronics. I've found the craftsmanship and finish to be top notch. The electronics are crap for the most part, especially in the lower price range.

So, you put some decent pickups and especially pots and caps in them and you got yourself a very fine instrument. Better than Fender or Gibson? That's subjective. However, my experience was that you could easily get a "professional" level instrument by getting a fairly cheap Ibanez and upgrading its electronics for a LOT cheaper than buying a new Gibson.

Thanks... I've thought about going that route. The fit and finish on this guitar is absolutely perfect. Besides the electronics, there's a couple other things that turn me off slightly. It's just a little bit neck heavy (I think partially due to its large headstock) and it tends to "neck dive" if I don't use certain guitar straps. Secondly it has a maple neck which might be a slight tone suck for this type of guitar. However... it is very resonant and toneful when played unamplified. That's why I think it might have some real potential with the right upgrades... Besides, I have two perfectly good Les Pauls and I don't need another one... just yet anyway! At what point though would the cost of upgrades outweigh justifying purchasing another guitar?

~Yardbird~

"03" Les Paul Standard (Ebony finish)
    "04" Les Paul 1959 Reissue (DarkBurst)
    "04" FENDER Standard Stratocaster (Sage Green) Rosewood fretboard - 2004 model

2011 FENDER Deluxe Reverb RI
    2012 MESA/Boogie Express 5:50
    2013 MESA/Boogie Express 5:50 plus head with 2 23" 1 X 12 MESA LoneStar cabs