Thread: SX Strat Project

SX Strat Project

almost completed. Waiting on the gold tremolo system from GFS. Used the old pickguard from my Pro Tone. Some GFS Premium alnico II's which is their version of the 50s Strat pickups. Wilkinson gold tuners. First pic is after doing a couple of small mods last pic is from tonight.

If I stopped buying Strats, I would probably get better at playing them.

Re: SX Strat Project

Looks good.
    I like the grain on the body.

Is that the original SX neck?
    Do I see binding?
    Off center dots too. Neat.

There's a local shop nearby, where someone traded-in/sold a couple of hacked looking SX's. I've read of people really liking the neck on some of them, but these were ehh, skinny, flattish...
    Overall, strats in general shape only.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

I like the white better too.
    I think it would look best with a black guard.

I love the grain in the body.
    Is that an SX body?

well, my 2 cents.. I don't care for the red pickguard... OR the white one...
    I"m not sure what would look best that wood...
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

The neck and the body are pure SX. The body is three piece ash. Actual ash and not Japanese sen. The necks on SX's are very nice. Probably their best quality imho. SX's are a great guitar for the price. This one was $130 stock. I think that is pretty good for a solid ash strat. It makes them a great modding guitar. Where they are cheap is in their hardware and their electronics. The tuners and tremolo on this guitar were atrocious. Their pickups are okay. Nothing to write home about but always a little on the hot side. It's very strange, I have an SX Jazzmaster with P90s and this Strat and the pickups on both would be better suited for a Kramer or Jackson.
    As for the pickguard, it's really hard to have a pickguard with a natural body. Almost anything takes away from the grain. I liked the red because it didn't clash so much with the wood color and it wasn't as perloid as other pickguards so it melts more to the guitar. Probably the best would have been a brown on brown but I don't mind the red.
    The tremolo from GFS didn't come today so it looks like I will be finishing this project up early next week. I put the 64 Staggers from GFS in my Pro Tone, and the 50s Strat GFS pickups in this one. In my AV I have the Fender SCN's. I imagine between these three I should have no excuses in recreating some classic Fender Strat sounds.
    If I stopped buying Strats, I would probably get better at playing them.

I like a lot os th SX stuff......

I have their basses, but only have played two of the 6 strings.

Nice project.

Which pguard do you like? I honestly think that black would look good, or a brown tortoise....

BTW -

WOuldn't this be fun to work with? Nice tele clone copy to upgrade....
    http://www.rondomusic.net/product913.html
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

I have an SX (looks like a PRS knockoff), 149.00...great guitar!!!
    On the other hand, you have different fingers.....
    Custom tele, Mexi-strat, Epi Les Paul,SX PRS knockoff (don't laugh, it's a KILLER axe...) Fender Precission, "62 Tweed Champ, Dual Showman Reverb, Lab Series L-9, various imports and mongrels, all lefties.....