Thread: As Time Goes By

As Time Goes By

Caveat: I hope I am not infringing on any copyright laws here.

I am going to be playing a short musical tribute at a memorial service for my late father-in-law. Blues Skies, Sunny Side of The Street, maybe another tune or two. We're going to have a barbershop quartet and his longtime companion is going to sing "As Time Goes By", you know..."you must remember this, a kiss is still a kiss.." She's very good and I am looking forward to accompanying her on this tune.

I have never performed these songs before which is no big deal, there familiar enough. Anyway, I searched for the chords of ATGB and found this

http://www.e-chords.com/cifra/idmusica/37818.htm

e-chords looks like a very cool site. I especially like the diagrams for each chord. Very instructive. It says it is in the key of C and she wants to do it in the key of F. Transposing it is no problem but I just want to confirm that the chords on the site are for the key of C. Now, as I look at the chords, the little G5+, would be the V chord for the turnaround. I'm just not sure and we probably won't have any time for rehearsal to clear all this up.

Thanks for any help.

-Pat

TFF Stage Crew

Re: As Time Goes By

That is neat. Not sure about the copyright issue because I only looked at it briefly to answer your questions.

1) Yes, the chords are in the key of C
    2) G5+ is bad, bad nomenclature, but it just means G augmented (G-B-D#).

I notice that for all the altered extension chords they are putting the alteration after the extension, which again is incorrect nomenclature.

I.e., they list G7b9 as G7/9-. That's extremely confusing to anyone used to correct nomenclature. First, you should only use a slash to imply a different note in the bass other than the tonic of the chord. And in fact, they do elsewhere list A/C#, meaning A-major chord with a C# in the bass.

A minus sign is often used to mean minor, so D-7 can be read as Dmin7, but they're using it as a way to raise or lower the tone it follows by a half step. So, G5+ to them just means a G chord with a raised 5, or again, G augmented with no 7th.

So, it's a good idea for a site, and it is REALLY cool that you can just click a button and the whole chart transposes.

Re: As Time Goes By

Thanks PC! Great feedback. Just what I was looking for.

-Pat