Thread: Masterbuilts

Masterbuilts

So who around here has any Masterbuilts? What do you think about them? I have several, and IMHO, there were a few killer Masterbuilders(ie. John Suhr, John English and Jay Black) who build guitars that are every bit as good as anything I've ever played...and I've played alot of Strats!
    So bring it on...let's here about your Masterbuilt.:}
    A Les Paul has the balls...but a Strat has the personality...

Forum Member
    Hi CD , I don't have one, but your not the first I'v heard that from. I would love to buy a used one made after a 55-56 model in ash. What do you have? Your Homer Strat would be a cool MB one off. :drl :mm

Forum Member
    Standin' at the crossroads, shoutin' at the devil.
    Mine just arrived. It's based on a '56, but has some tricky push-pull configurations and hot rodded electronics (passive), a one-piece lightweight ash body, a 12" radius, 1 11/16" nut width, U-shaped neck (museum birdseye maple)(nitro), blocked trem, VB color (all nitro), gold hardware, some other cosmetic details, and Rio Bass Bottoms.

I LOVE it! Best Strat I've ever played! Better than a bunch of vintage, deffinately better than any new strat I've played. Louis Salgado built it. He was very helpful and patient when I talked with him. It's everything that I've ever dreamed of in a Strat and then some! Thanks Louis, you've done very well!
    The man with magic hands.

Forum Member

'94 J. Black

O.K. I'll bite. I have a '94 J. Black MB Strat. It's Swamp Ash, RW slab on a flamed out "C" shape neck, and came w/ 'CS 50s pups and 5 way wiring. I'vw swapped out the pickguard for a pearlized white with VZ Vintage Plus pups, a Fralin base plate under the bridge pup. I moved the mid tone control to the bridge and replaced the cap w/ a .01 polypropylene.

This one has a fascinating story:

A few years back I walked into a vintage music store I frequent and the owner said, "Hey Nick, look what someone brought in just before you got here..."; and he pulled the case out from behind the counter. It was the '94 J. Black UNPLAYED w/ the plastic still on the PG and little orange dot still on the trem hole. A guy had bought it new and kept it in his closet as an investment piece - never played it. 5 years later the owner died and his son brought it into the vintage shop just before I got there. I ask the owner for a price and off the top he said $2K. I went home, researched the guitar, came back two days later and it was hanging on the wall for around $3K. The owner honored his price to me and I bought it. Turns out that the guitar was built for a good friend of mine who worked for Thoroughbred Music. The color wasn't as light as he wanted so he put it up for sale and had J. Black make a second one. His and mine look identical.

I've owned a number of relics and Strats. This by far out-classes them all. The beauty, attention to detail, playability and tone is wonderful. I'm very appreciative of it.

Forum Member
    Gotta love the hand-built soul! :bigal

IMHO, the Masterbuilts ARE definitely worth the money, unless you really have to sell your soul to aford it. Otherwise, the Time Machine guitars are really pretty great.

Try and play a bunch of 'em (as you would any guitar) because they do vary from piece to piece...
    Don't you know that it's a fool that plays it cool...

I've had a few that were built by Michael Stevens. I also had a Baritone Strat with 3 Tele neck PU's and a trem that was built by Alan Hammil(sp?) as well as a Mary Kaye Strat that was built by Fred Stuart. I'm still looking for a Yas built joint.
    Last edited by Burn Barrel; 07-28-2002 at 12:07 PM.

Forum Member
    Masterbuilts can be really great guitars but for the money why not save a grand and buy a Lentz? Sure it doesn't say fender on the headstock, but the tone, finish, construction and detailing are far superior IMHO.

http://imageevent.com/surfjam/1958stratocaster

Originally posted by GeetarGoul
    Masterbuilts can be really great guitars but for the money why not save a grand and buy a Lentz? Sure it doesn't say fender on the headstock, but the tone, finish, construction and detailing are far superior IMHO.

http://imageevent.com/surfjam/1958stratocaster
    It depends on the builder and their intentions. If Mike Stevens or Yas built it, then I would rather drop the extra loot, especially if it's a replica type hit. Last I checked, Lentz doesn't offer a 1 piece Maple neck with a skunk stripe.

Forum Member
    I went with Scott Lentz.With Lentz you don't have to wait 8 months or longer to get your guitar.
    Last edited by Gazza; 07-29-2002 at 10:33 AM.

Forum Member

Last I checked, Lentz doesn't offer a 1 piece Maple neck with a skunk stripe.

Lentz doesn't use the skunk stripe because he's found a "better" neck construction design. By making his maple necks two piece (with a raduised maple fingerboard) he can make them stiffer and more harmonically responsive (trapped energy). I own a nice 58 strat (and three others) with a skunk stripe and a Lentz strat, so I've done some comparing. If being perfectly historically acurate is your main concern then maybe Scott isn't your best choice, but if finding someone who can build you the best 2002 Strat or Tele with vintage lineage and a few improvements check out Lentz or some of these other small shops.

Are the Masterbuilts even using Nitro finishes? The one's I've seen over the years weren't! Aren't the necks on the Relics the only CS Fenders using nitro?

Have you read Scott's reviews on Harmony Central? Either he's paying these guys or he's getting it right!
    Last edited by GeetarGoul; 07-29-2002 at 10:48 AM.

If it makes you happy, then it's good for you. I'm not a big veneer board fan, whether it's maple or rosewood. Different strokes, no absolutes.

Re: Last I checked, Lentz doesn't offer a 1 piece Maple neck with a skunk stripe.

Originally posted by GeetarGoul

...Are the Masterbuilts even using Nitro finishes? The one's I've seen over the years weren't! Aren't the necks on the Relics the only CS Fenders using nitro?...

GG,

Yeah, the Fender CS will do 'em any way you want. Having said that, I also think Scott's guitars are amazing as well. He's certainly on of the very best in the business...
    Don't you know that it's a fool that plays it cool...

Forum Member

Masterbuilt = Scott Lentz

I have a Lentz custom Strat-style. I would put it up against any Strat out there. Lentz is a masterbuilder. I have a one piece ash body and a one piece neck with a rosewood board. This guitar rips it up. The pickups are so lively and, the best thing, barely any pickup hum.

If you talk masterbuilt, you must include Scott Lentz. Play my Lentz Strat and you will be a believer. Tone, tone, and more tone.

Thanks, Scott

Ride it to the sunset....

Forum Member
    GeetarGoul,

You had me doing a double-take there for a minute. Then I realized the S-Style has a rosewood board. Looks like we pretty much asked Scott to build us the same pair of guitars...'50s T-Style and '50s S-Style. Small world.
    Last edited by Dillon; 07-29-2002 at 01:55 PM.

Forum Member

Dillon

You must have great taste! ;-)/

I'd have to assume that Lentz guitars are the Keeblers of the fender world.

Forum Member
    The new strat is all nitro (neck and body). In my opinion Scott does great work, but I wouldn't say that the M.B.s are at all lacking. ;)

They're SUPER! :bigal

Scott made one piece necks with the skunk stripe until he progressed to the veneer. The skunk stripe neck is easier to make but he switched to the veneer for the tone, and feel. There is somthing to be said about a 100% maple neck without a massive route right through the center of the neck which is filled with wanut. The curvature of the board also affects the stiffness and the tone.
    The one piece was discontinued only after the slab was universally decided to be a better neck.

M- I knew that was you the minute I saw the name.......even before I read your post. been listenin' to alot of Sufi music lately.....you heard any Hamza el Din? killer Oud player!!!

Originally posted by howardslespaul
    M- I knew that was you the minute I saw the name.......even before I read your post. been listenin' to alot of Sufi music lately.....you heard any Hamza el Din? killer Oud player!!!
    Yosie Josie! Oh course I know Hamza's work. I'm a fan.

Killer schtuff!!!

Forum Member
    i don't have a masterbuilt... but i've got a team built on the way.

it's going to be a typical 60's style NOS
    sherwood green metallic
    chunky super-flamey neck option
    medium jumbo frets
    abby pickups
    5-way sw installed

should be a pretty nice guitar (and it should be all nitro... i hope)
    -jr-

Re: Masterbuilts

Originally posted by CDaughtry
    So who around here has any Masterbuilts? What do you think about them? I have several, and IMHO, there were a few killer Masterbuilders(ie. John Suhr, John English and Jay Black) who build guitars that are every bit as good as anything I've ever played...and I've played alot of Strats!
    So bring it on...let's here about your Masterbuilt.:}
    Charlie i want one of your MASTERBUILTS"""""
    The Brooklyn Gypsy