Thread: Just got a new '56 Relic with some neck issues need help, please!

Forum Member

Just got a new '56 Relic with some neck issues need help, please!

Hello,
    Really nice site!
    I just bought a '56 relic and upon getting it home, I noticed the neck had a back bow in one spot 5th-7th frets and a dip up around the 17th. The problem is that this guitar has THE neck and actually resonates better that my Suhr.

Anybody know a REALLY good Fender warranty shop?

Thanks,
    Paul

Forum Member

The Same Old Thing . . .

. . . I know I sound like a broken record, but if I were you (and had THE neck) I would not be so concerned about finding a warranty shop. Instead, I would look for the best fret leveller you can find. IMO your type of problem is best solved by a person that would take the time to put the neck, or the entire guitar (I use a "surrogate" bolt-on body for the job), in some form of a neck-jig to duplicate the exact stresses of the neck and truss rod under string tension. That is the best way to level the frets without removing fret height unnecssarily.

I am not saying that fret-techs that do not use a neck-jig cannot do the job, only that IMO using this tool is the surest way to success. Anyone that has used the neck-jig, and understands it well, would probably agree with me.

Some that don't (or haven't) may disagree. That's fine by me, also. I never do fretwork without it. I treat every neck like it is THE neck.

Let me know where you live and I may be able to recommend someone.

thanks, dan

Forum Member
    Hi Dan,
    I'm assuming you are THE Dan erlewine (Stew Mac, Guitar Player etc?) I've always really enjoyed your column. Thanks, for responding.

I live in Atlanta, GA. I agree with you about finding the best luthier I can and would really appreciate any recommendations you have but at the same time just spent $2,000.00+ on a guitar fender calls their best (says so on the certificate). I feel fender should have some responsibility. If only it didn't have THE neck....Sigh!!

Anyway, I've been looking for a really good guitar repairman in the area.

Thanks again,
    Paul
    pfrischmann@mindspring.com

Forum Member
    Send it to Larry at Music One. If he can't correct it, he'll take care of it with Fender, as an authorized Custom Shop dealer and warranty gold tech.

Forum Member

there ya' go

pfrisch! Mo' gave you a good lead. Sounds like the perfect one what with Custom Shop and being a gold warranty. They don't just give that away without needing credentials.

Also, if Larry wanted he could get you another neck I'll bet (if that was the thing to do). Sometimes you will get a lemon in any business deal. At least I do from time to time.

good luck, and hey, tell us how the story ends. I just as interested in knowing the end of the story as the beginning. That is how we can all benefit from these threads. Go see Larry and report back please.

thanks, dan

Forum Member

seconds on Dans neck jig

My buddy Rob hacker owns the prototype to that I think
    it was built by bill gibbitz of austin great tool..
    This one is on a table and not tiltable
    Dan I think took this way further and has it on a shopstand
    which you can turn the whole instrument sideways if needed
    while leaving the guitar secure you can release the pressure from
    behind the neck (pegs) and check that baby right there before
    taking the straps off....Great Idea Im building my own the hardheaded way. The surrogate body is something I learned from steve crisp of stevens electrical in austin the idea of holding the neck at tension with strings on with pegs behind the neck
    and removing the strings is pure genious the board stays still
    the frets come out and go back in without the neck/fingerboard changing shape..I want to make mine smaller since I mainly do electrics but for any guitar I think its money in the bank...
    Why cant i think of one like that ?
    doh...

Forum Member
    Thanks to Dan and everybody for their responses. I took the guitar to a local tech and the neck does have a slight twist in it but we both think it's all workable. If it get's worse, I'll get Fender to fix it.

One more question for you techy types...

The pickups I have are bright and beautiful individually. when I play them in the 2 and 4 positions, they lack a bit of that cluck. is that because the mid is not RW/RP?

Thanks again.
    Paul

Forum Member
    Try lowering the middle pickup a little. I've found that the height of the middle pickup seems to be the key to "cluck-ability. You could use the Eric Johnson setup in Dans book for some suggested p/u heights. Mike

I have the same strat (Neck) problem...

I can't get the neck to go straight, even with the bar as tight as it can (safely) go. I read in Dan's book about takng the neck off and placing in a set of clamps, then "helping" the bar whiule its clamped up.

This is not a procedure I have the skills to do. Does anyone have a contact in the Boston area thats up to the job?