Thread: 3 Blues numbers

3 Blues numbers

I've got an invitation to do a short set of three blues numbers in about a month's time. That's the brief. I was thinking of doing it as a duo with a friend who plays guitar, bass and drums (but not all the same time, unfortunately.) I was thinking of mixing it up with an acoustic number, an electric number, and... hmmm. Lot's of possibilities.

What songs would you like to play or like to hear if the brief was "Blues. Short set. Three numbers. Make 'em count"? Got any suggestions for something a bit out of the box, perhaps?

I think this is my big chance to actually be succinct for once. A great personal challenge.

-Mark

Re: 3 Blues numbers

Hi Mark! Not that easy to answer. My first recommendation might be to stay away from the obvious old warhorses like "Stormy Monday", "Thrill Is Gone", "Dust My Broom" etc. (and absolutely no "Sweet Home Chicago" ).Also, maybe we should know how accomplished you are at playing blues. But I'll give it a try:
    1. for acoustic: Robert Johnson's When You Got A Good Friend - the guitar arrangement is quite simple and you could build your own around it.
    2. for a slow electric (if you want to do one, that is), maybe something more ballad, 8 bar like stuff - It Hurts Me, Too - Tampa Red/Elmore James
    3. for a romp, a J.L. Hooker style vamp might work well in a duo setting.
    Good luck!
    (BTW - did the ebay thingy work out?)

Well, I always think blues is very easy to play badly, and very hard to play well. So I never underestimate playing blues. It's not so much technique (as in getting you fingers around the notes) -- that part is the least of it -- rather, getting genuine feeling and nuance into the playing -- dynamics, feel, groove -- that's the key to it, imho.

So that's the challenge. Three songs that are all great in their own right, but also complement each other -- and, of course, that I can get something happening with each of them. Like you, I thought staying away from the cliches would be a good start -- I'm open to new songs I haven't tried or even heard before, which is why I turned the the collective wisdom of TFF.

So thanks, Tom -- I'll follow up your leads. too bad I won't have finished the full sliding-tom slide guitar program by then!

(And, yes, thanks, the eBay thing worked out well... the car alarm part arrived in the mail just the other day. Thanks again!)

-Mark

Maybe an acoustic blues, a jazzy blues, and an electric blues? Hmmm...

I think I'd whip something like a little Coco Montoya, Joe Bonomassa, Tommy Castro or something along those lines just to be different. That's just me though, I like the new stuff as much as the old. A lot of people haven't been exposed to the guys I've mentioned so it could work very much in your favor.

Cheers
    "I bet your Momma was a tent-show Queen ..."

Mark, it really depends on the audience. If the listeners are hardcore blues junkies you can go into some fun places, but if they are just people who want to hear some blues, I'd keep with the more recognizable tunes.

If the latter was the case, I would probably do a set like
    The Thrill is Gone
    Sweet Home Chicago (which would be a challenge as a duo!)
    and maybe Cray's Smoking Gun.

What I'd suggest, is to pick up about 10 songs, and then just go feel out the gig. Besides, you know you're gonna have an encore!

But seriously, you need to know wht the audience is expecting. Sometimes people at a "blues" job are more expecting to hear Lonesome George than Son House.
    But if the croud is hip you can do Chevrolet...
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

With a duo, check out how the the 'backporch' guys like T Model Ford, Burnside, Louisiana Red do it...that N. Mississippi thing really works with just drums and a solid guitar part and you can rock the house. Ummm, 'Thrill is Gone' and similar uptown tunes do not work.

Quote Originally Posted by ES350 View Post
    With a duo, check out how the the 'backporch' guys like T Model Ford, Burnside, Louisiana Red do it...that N. Mississippi thing really works with just drums and a solid guitar part and you can rock the house. Ummm, 'Thrill is Gone' and similar uptown tunes do not work.
    Good advice!

I'd like to hear Little Feat's/Lowell George's version of "Long Distance Love" (not really blues, but bluesy?), maybe "Loan Me A Dime" done acoustically, and 3rd, from Mayall's Bluesbreaker's Beano, "Little Girl" with that cool release in the middle.
    “To do a common thing uncommonly well brings success.”

I think you're nuts to go for a guitar change in a three song set, personally. Pick one or t'other.

Tunes-wise I think OSA is right about hitting something 90% of the audience will know for 2/3 of your set. Put your own stamp on it, sure, but there's no shame in playing a classic well or uniquely.

Unless it's "Gimme Three Steps" or Abba!

That duo thing has me thinkin' outside the box.... maybe a blues version of Elvis C's "Allison" to wipe the floor and leave 'em weepin'. Brushes on the snare could almost carry the tune while you rip it up!

Red house and Damn right, Ive got the blues are relatively easy to play, and will be recognized by most people. As for the third; an Allman Brothers song called Melissa

Note the crowd; play appropriately; take them where they need to go.

Don't overthink music vs. audience.

They'll be in a mood, and all's ya do is magnify it.

[I'd like to hear Little Feat's/Lowell George's version of "Long Distance Love" too...]

Grasshoppers Inn Mapillow
    Shine your light.