Thread: Ready to buy- Anything I should steer clear of?

Ready to buy- Anything I should steer clear of?

Well I believe I'm finally ready to buy my first strat, so when I walk into the guitar store within the next couple weeks and sit down and play the two different types I'm debating between (American Standard or AmDlx Vneck),is there anything in the guitar I should look at to determine whether it's the cream of the crop, or a dud? (Other than how it feels and plays)

I'm talking about wood grain, finish, and the paintjob. If it helps, I think I'll be looking at the two or three tone sunburst.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by LittleVoodooWing; 02-13-2007 at 05:51 PM.
    "...And so castles made of sand...slip into the sea...eventually."

Re: Ready to buy- Anything I should steer clear of?

If it plays, feels, and sounds good, it is good! No worries except price any of those Fenders.

My advice is play a bunch and if one strikes you as particularly good, then put it on hold and do a bit of investigating about its details (Fender site, Ebay). If the price is fair, then go for it.

My advice is: play as many guitars as you can!
    Are you sure you're wanting an American Strat? Or even a Fender guitar??
    I'm not "hatin'" on Fender Strats...I own one (made in Korea). But if a guitar feels good to YOU, who cares what others think about it???

anything to avoid? PRS?

Seriously, if it plays and sounds good, that's 99% of the decision right there.
    I'd take a good, close look at it, make sure that the neck joint is tight, any glue lines on the guitar are clean, and there aren't any cracks in the finish, like around screw holes or such (assuming new guitar.) As others have said, play a lot of guitars. IOf the shop only has a couple of sunburst ones, play some other colored ones, just for a reference point. If those SBs are duds compared to the others, either go with another, or if your heart is really set on a burst, keep shopping. The right guitar will jump out at you eventually.
    Last edited by jrgtr42; 02-13-2007 at 09:16 PM.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

I'm talking about wood grain, finish, and the paintjob. If it helps, I think I'll be looking at the two or three tone sunburst.

that really has nothing to do w/ the guitar, imo

just as long as theres no fret sprout (for that $)

like others said...play em all
    Imanidiot.