Thread: fenders new EVH relic

fenders new EVH relic

Anyone seen the new evh relic frankenstrat. Interesting what 30 grand will get you.

Gravity Jim

Re: fenders new EVH relic

The same thing it always gets you, whether you spend it on an "original" '62 Strat or this hunk o' junk:

Bragging rights.

Ouch!!!
    A good, screaming Strat just might be the greatest guitar sound of all..... -Slash

Considering that a guitar can be built just like the "Frankenstrat" for waayyy less shows how money "hungry" EVH/Fender really are...

I have a friend who can do it for a grand.

I think Fender is banking on (no pun intended) the big money people (lawyers,doctors,bankers,kids with trust funds,ect) to buy these guitars and stick them under a bed somewhere or in a vault.They are obviously not looking at the common blue collar musician.
    I wouldn't spend a 1/10 of that if Eddie built it for me himself.
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

It's a piece of junk...
    Years ago when he was working with Kramer, he wanted them to make exact replicas. They could not do it because it was a hunk of junk, and they could not make guitars that bad...

But Eddie can play anything and make it sound like a million bucks...
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

I have a Squier that I paid $200. new for that could give his original guitar a run for it's money. Maybe if I put racing strips on it, it might sound better.
    A good, screaming Strat just might be the greatest guitar sound of all..... -Slash

Evanston IL, or Bluffton OH... which ever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by gtrplr View Post
    I have a friend who can do it for a grand.

Have him meet me in the back ally by Main Street next week at midnight.
    "The other Shaltanac's joopleberry shrub is always a more mauvy shade of pinky-russet."

"there's NOTHING WRONG with a live penguin, but...I expected a hamburger!"

This thread is useless without pics!
    ...and on the 8th day, God created the Super Reverb and there was ROCK, and it was GOOD!

TFF Stage Crew

There have been two other threads with pics, which have all been deleted because they've devolved into pointless arguments about rehab. A third thread was also deleted because it attempted to reanimate the rehab fight without even bothering to discuss the guitar.

Hopefully this one will remain about the guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by pc View Post
    There have been two other threads with pics, which have all been deleted ...
    where in the world have I been? I missed all that stuff...
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

Face it, some great music has been made with "Frankenstrats/Partsocasters" or whatever you want to call them. EVH really did put a dent in the Vintage Market when he came out. Van Halen's first 3 albums are thought of as real benchmarks for tone too. 25 years later, the gain wars he started are still raging and attenuators are commonplace. All that because of a "Bitsocaster"...

How ridiculous.

Now can someone tell me where I can find a Custom Shop version of Blackie or SRV's guitar?

Tone is in the fingers, eh? Let's hear your Vox, Marshall and Fender fingerings then...

First of all let me say that I have been playing guitar for 45 years. I love, and practically drool over the great axes of old, and new just like most of you; but the whole reissue/relic/limited edition/whatever thing has just gotten out of hand. I had a 50's Tele in the 70's, and had no clue what I really had. I had an early 60's SG, and it ws stolen(by a friend?); I had an early 70's Strat,ect., ect. My dream would be to own one of the original Burst year LP's or an early strat but with all that said; the guitar companies are shooting fish in a barrel now. We all come to the top of the bowl like fish that are waiting for the few sprinkled flakes, and the companies are zeroing in on us. I bought an Am. Strat reissue myself. But not for some 10,000 of 30,000 farce price. Every year Gibson has some new "thing" that is a selling point. The switch cover is thin like it's supposed to be, now VOS, an on and on an on. Fender is becoming more frequent at the dance now too charging absurd prices for relicing, ect. I've never understood how a guitar reliced or painted by Murphy is worth 5 or 10 times what one done by someone else is. I believe in the collecting hobby, and the investments, but I'm just saying; we are being taken to the bank here, and we're coming back for more. Some of you might totally disagree with what I've said, and that's cool with me; I love playing music, and always have, and I feel a bond with fellow musicians. I just think we're starting to get much more caught up in the game more than laying down the killer jams that we've all come to love, and are inspired by. Last of all; I, like you; love to buy and read the vintage books, and see the photos of the old wood, and I think it's awesome that there are guys out there who have a stable of Bursts/Strats,ect; but I wouldn't give you 300,000 or more for all the bursts ever made. Maybe my priorities have changed drastically as I've aged, but as I've stated above; I have owned some older wood; Gibson and Fender, and except for the fact that it would be nice to have the finacial security of owning an axe worh a 1/4 million dollars; when I lay my 2000 Les Paul or my 05 Am.Dlx. or my 06 62 reissue down after a session; I feel just as fulfilled as I did after laying down a 50's or 60's guitar. Please know; that no offense is meant by this post to anyone. I think we've got some great folks here at TFF and TLPF but I see more and more talk about these crazy reissue , and vintage prices, and less and less talk about what kind of music we make when we pick them up. God bless.
    John Sr.
    Last edited by hvnbownd1@cox.net; 04-01-2007 at 08:31 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hvnbownd1@cox.net View Post
    First of all let me say that I have been playing guitar for 45 years. I love, and practically drool over the great axes of old, and new just like most of you; but the whole reissue/relic/limited edition/whatever thing has just gotten out of hand. I had a 50's Tele in the 70's, and had no clue what I really had. I had an early 60's SG, and it ws stolen(by a friend?); I had an early 70's Strat,ect., ect. My dream would be to own one of the original Burst year LP's or an early strat but with all that said; the guitar companies are shooting fish in a barrel now. We all come to the top of the bowl like fish that are waiting for the few sprinkled flakes, and the companies are zeroing in on us. I bought an Am. Strat reissue myself. But not for some 10,000 of 30,000 farce price. Every year Gibson has some new "thing" that is a selling point. The switch cover is thin like it's supposed to be, now VOS, an on and on an on. Fender is becoming more frequent at the dance now too charging absurd prices for relicing, ect. I've never understood how a guitar reliced or painted by Murphy is worth 5 or 10 times what one done by someone else is. I believe in the collecting hobby, and the investments, but I'm just saying; we are being taken to the bank here, and we're coming back for more. Some of you might totally disagree with what I've said, and that's cool with me; I love playing music, and always have, and I feel a bond with fellow musicians. I just think we're starting to get much more caught up in the game more than laying down the killer jams that we've all come to love, and are inspired by. Last of all; I, like you; love to buy and read the vintage books, and see the photos of the old wood, and I think it's awesome that there are guys out there who have a stable of Bursts/Strats,ect; but I wouldn't give you 300,000 or more for all the bursts ever made. Maybe my priorities have changed drastically as I've aged, but as I've stated above; I have owned some older wood; Gibson and Fender, and except for the fact that it would be nice to have the finacial security of owning an axe worh a 1/4 million dollars; when I lay my 2000 Les Paul or my 05 Am.Dlx. or my 06 62 reissue down after a session; I feel just as fulfilled as I did after laying down a 50's or 60's guitar. Please know; that no offense is meant by this post to anyone. I think we've got some great folks here at TFF and TLPF but I see more and more talk about these crazy reissue , and vintage prices, and less and less talk about what kind of music we make when we pick them up. God bless.
    John Sr.
    You took the words out of my mouth and did it much more eloquently than I ever would. You deserve a golden ball peen hammer for hitting that nail on the head!

Forum Member

yep,fo sure.if i had that kind of disposable income i would buy i new honda s2000.or at least some new tires for my del sol...

Quote Originally Posted by hvnbownd1@cox.net View Post
    I think we've got some great folks here at TFF and TLPF but I see more and more talk about these crazy reissue , and vintage prices, and less and less talk about what kind of music we make when we pick them up.
    That's because nobody wants to talk about the music I make when I pick one up.

Especially me.

Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Forum Member

So how much is the "reliced" (smashed and burned pile of parts) Hendrix gonna cost?

Well said John Sr!

I think Dweezil asked for a million for his, but he didn't get it.
    orange picks

Any idea on how much EVH spended to build the original Frankenstein?

Maybe $200.

With paint and tape.
    orange picks

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n View Post
    Maybe $200.

With paint and tape.
    Was the tape masking or electrical?
    Master of Disaster on the Stratocaster

Are these things actually considered "relics?"

Now I get why they cost so must.

What if they just put a Floyd and the proper p'up, and no pot (right?) into a leftover Tom Delonge minus the pickguard?
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

and no pot (right?)
    wrong... there was definitely some pot involved...............

*rimshot*

a

Quote Originally Posted by toobalicious View Post
    wrong... there was definitely some pot involved...............

*rimshot*

a
    Strike HERE.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello