Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BROWN-shoe-polish, relic-aging>IT WORKED!

It's kool to see others having fun shoe-shinin' their gear. My buddy made a Tele-Gib relicaster decal for me, and I shot clear poly on to bury it. Looked great, but too shiney and fresh. My Jimmie Vaughan neck already has a vintage look satin poly, but I thought I should make it look a bit more aged...since it's a Relicaster. I scuffed the fresh poly with steel wool and buffed it with the 3M white pad...nice and satin. Next I applied the Kiwi and the old 'tone' really jumped. I thought it was kinda 'dark' already, compared to a lot of Fender necks I've seen, but now it's really the old man. In the pic, I did it up to the 5th fret...love it. :nelson
    Hopeless modaholic...

That neck looks great!

I decided to try this on my Jazz Bass' neck today. I ended up doing the fretboard dots and pickguard as well.

Then I moved on to the binding and pickguard edge on my ES-135 and the neck on my USA Custom Guitars T-style!

I'm addicted now!!!

Originally posted by Don
    That neck looks great!

I decided to try this on my Jazz Bass' neck today. I ended up doing the fretboard dots and pickguard as well.

Then I moved on to the binding and pickguard edge on my ES-135 and the neck on my USA Custom Guitars T-style!

I'm addicted now!!!
    I love this thread.Listen,i just bought a MIM Tele and the neck is far too white for my taste.It looks to be totally unfinished except for the smooth sanding.(?)Will i still have to use steel wool before i apply the shoe polish?I can't wait to try this.

I don't think you have to do anything. On your plastic knobs I wiped them with alcohol to make sure the color sticks.
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

Yeah, with the neck, just rub it on, let it sit a while, and rub it off. Use serveral clean rags to wipe all the polish off. May take a few times to get the right shade. Have fun.
    Hopeless modaholic...