Thread: Difference? Fender Squier Series - Squier by Fender series

Forum Member

Difference? Fender Squier Series - Squier by Fender series

The most common Squiers are the "Squier by Fender", but now and then, I come across a guitar that has the standard Fender logo, but then in smaller print it has "Squier series" and they are usually MIM.
    Is the second a better model Squier, or just the way they were labeled when they first started the Squiers.
    Thank you

Evanston IL, or Bluffton OH... which ever comes first.

Re: Difference? Fender Squier Series - Squier by Fender series

The following info was given to me by Mesotech:

"The MIM Squiers from about 1987 to 1996 are more than people think. That was before the Mexico plant had their own machines. The necks and bodies were cut in the US.
    As for identification, they're fairly easy to spot. The serial numbers begin with MNXXXXXX. They have the black plastic Trussrod plug like other Mexican's. The Fender logo is all black (instead of being gold with a black outline). They say 'Fender Stratocaster' on the headstock, instead of 'Squire Strat', and they have the words "Squire Series" on the bulb of the headstock. Also of note, there are at least two versions of this guitar after Korea took over manufacturing; the Squire Series, and the Squire Series II. The Series II suposedly has a 10" radius board instead of the 9.5" radius.

This is all I've been able to find out about them, and all information came from unreliable sources online. I'm sure Marcondo would have better info."
    "The other Shaltanac's joopleberry shrub is always a more mauvy shade of pinky-russet."

"there's NOTHING WRONG with a live penguin, but...I expected a hamburger!"

Forum Member

Re: Difference? Fender Squier Series - Squier by Fender series

Quote Originally Posted by blueshawk1 View Post

The most common Squiers are the "Squier by Fender", but now and then, I come across a guitar that has the standard Fender logo, but then in smaller print it has "Squier series" and they are usually MIM.
    Is the second a better model Squier, or just the way they were labeled when they first started the Squiers.
    Thank you
    I found some great info. about this squire series if you google (tdpri) then search squire series. It seems someone has done has their homework