Thread: Recording Guitar on a budget

Forum Member
    State of GAS: I think I may be moving to Happytown

Recording Guitar on a budget

Scenario:
    A friend of mine (Who is a remarkable guitar player) is coming up in mid febuary. I got the ok from the wife so he and I are heading up to the cabin in VT for some boarding, beer drinking and guitar playing. I would love to be able to record our sessions.

Can anyone suggest a way to get a quality recording of a jam session? I am looking for a good portable recording rig that has a good balance of quality and cost. 2 channels should be fine. I am not married to any particular format and could use my laptop in the mix if it is needed. I would assume I would need two mics so I would also appreciate reccomendations there as well. Lets keep the whole rig under $300 if possible.

Re: Recording Guitar on a budget

Companies like M-Audio sell cheap interfaces that come with recording software... just make sure your laptop is up to snuff.

Any computer worth a crap will have a stereo audio input.

Get a mixer and a cable that takes two channels out to 1/8" stereo mini plug andd be on your way. Audacity is free software that will let you record and even do multi-track overdubs.

That's all you need.

Oh... if your mixer is mono, you can use main send for one track and monitor for the other. Run one guitar though main only, one monitor only.

If you decide to use your laptop, pick up a copy of Guitar Tracks Pro 3, I think the price is down to $99. It comes with a pretty good amp simulator (Amplitube LE) Drum loops and 12 or 13 digital effects. The best part (at least for me) is that the interface looks like a mixing board. Pair that with an inexpensive usb mic and you will be ready to record, mix and burn in under 20 min for around $200

Quote Originally Posted by Wilko View Post
    Any computer worth a crap will have a stereo audio input.

Get a mixer and a cable that takes two channels out to 1/8" stereo mini plug andd be on your way. Audacity is free software that will let you record and even do multi-track overdubs.

That's all you need.

Oh... if your mixer is mono, you can use main send for one track and monitor for the other. Run one guitar though main only, one monitor only.
    This could work depending on your particular hardware, but a note of caution - signal strength, latency and ability to fully duplex will be frustrating issues for you.

If you want to get REALLY simple, go with a mini-disc recorder . My band records almost all rehearsals to mini-disc with a mini mic - the quality to convenience ratio is quite favorable.

If you decide to go the laptop route (and you've got a reasonably fast laptop) here's one of many possible options available to you with the products in the marketplace these days. This is the setup I use at home and I get reasonably quasi-professional results:

Soundcard: get a simple tool designed for the job. I've been using the M-Audio MobilePre (USB powered, two in-two out (left and right channels essentially), 24/96 resolution, ). $149 @ MF. You can achieve very low latency with this box. Takes stereo jacks, 2x 1/4" and 2 x XLR inputs. Phantom power is available for the XLR connections.

Recording/Multitracking: Cakewalk's Guitar Tracks Pro and you've got yourself an excellent hobbyist level multitrack mobile recording studio. $99 @ MF. No duplexing issues but utility is limited by the speed of your computer. Only runs on XP. Comes with Amplitude 1.0 and a host of very useful VST plug-ins (like reverb, eq, compression, etc).

The MobilePre and Cakewalk behave very well together which can't be said of many soundcard/multitrack software combos usually due to problems with driver compatibility (ASIO vs. WDM, etc). I've also used the Alesis USB8 mixer/"preamp" with Cakewalk and couldn't get a signal anywhere as useable as my MobilePre.

You could use two mics - I recommend Shure SM57 ($99 ea. @ MF)

You could always rent mics and save a few bucks - if you get a nice studio condenser mic, you can just mic the room to capture your jam and then you don't have to quibble with mic placement with the amps - the MobilePre has phantom power in the event the mic needs it.

DD

Check out the Zoom H4. Very handy, comes with 2 built-in condenser mics for stereo recording and pretty much everything you would need for a "mobile field stereo recorder". And exactly within your price range. It sells for $299.95 ;)

http://www.samsontech.com/products/p...fm?prodID=1901