Thread: HOT ROD DELUX FILTER CAP MOD

TELEPICKER

HOT ROD DELUX FILTER CAP MOD

Hi Guys,

I have just read about someone replacing the filter caps on the HRDLx. I thought I had done most of the required mods to mine but I was not aware of any problems with filter caps and plate resistors. Mine is a new Mexican build and after all the mods and tube replacements it sounds a whole lot better. However if there is more to be done I would like to know. Did Fender make some short cuts on the power filtering?? What is the potential problem with the plate resistors?

Pete

Re: HOT ROD DELUX FILTER CAP MOD

I did a filter cap swap, but it was to add some filtration, not because it was necessary.

I'd call it a mod rather than a repair. The filter caps would have to be pretty old for you to NEED to do a cap job.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Hey NT, how did that affect the tone of your amp?

And how's the rebuild going? I meant to email you to see how you were getting on but you know how these things go!

Tommy.

The re-build? I have the parts list for the rest of the build (wire, pots, tube sockets, etc.) and I'll be collecting them in the next couple of weeks. I'm also trying to finalize the faceplate hole measurements. I'm off about 3/64" in three cases.

I'll be sure to post on that when the time comes.

Regarding the cap job: It didn't really affect the tone too much, but I did notice a bit more smoothness overall. But nothing revolutionary...I concluded that it's not worth the cost and labor for the results on that one.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke