Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: USACustom & Warmoth vs. Vintage Fender

TFF Stage Crew
    That's no drawback. The Warmoth headstock is just different enough that I was unable to bring it into a vintage Fender shape. The USACG has that extra meat on it, so I could.

Originally posted by javacody
    That's good Dale. I've ordered from Warmoth too, but my tastes lean towards vintage stuff, and I like that you can get a neck from USA Custom Guitars with all of the options (including top adjust truss rod, which I think Warmoth now offers as well) at no extra cost with a vintage type truss rod. To me, that truss rod is essential for my tone. I'm aware of only one real drawback to USA Custom Guitars (which in my opinion isn't a drawback) and that is their headstock shape. I personally like the headstock shape. It lets people know that I made this guitar.
    The vintage deal is not an issue for me at all. Everyone has to find what they like. Things fitting and tone (that I like) are what I am into. I have a one piece mahog Carvin body hardtail strat clone that has a 24.75" Warmoth neck (my first) and parts from many other manufactures. Dual buckers and wired like an LP. I love that thing as well. I also perfer the dual action truss rods over the vintage. It is a bit brigher I think but I guess it is now part of my tone!

I sign all my stuff with my name in either silver or gold with a paint pen. There is no confusion about who made mine. My sig is on the headstock!

Dale
    Last edited by Dale; 08-20-2003 at 06:08 PM.
    Guitars: Teles, Strats, LP, VW Wormoth, others. Amps: Bassman LTD, Richter 5e3, 5e3 Head, Taynor Bassmaster II, Gretsch 6150 (Supro), others. Board: Guitar>Java Boost> Huckleberry>Fuzz Head>Top Fuel> SFX-03 >Keeley 4 knob Comp>EH Clone Chorus>Flanger>DD-6

you got nice gear nice gtr collection bro god bless the usa

Originally posted by Scott P
    What were your issues with Gregg Rogers?

Also, is there anyone out there that does vintage correct nitro finishes? USA refers you to Roxy who only does poly. Thanks!
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS

Hi all. I don't know why it took me so long to find this place, but I'm glad I did. I see a few familiar names here as well.

I've used Warmoth bodies and necks and more recently, USACG's. I like Warmoth's bodies well enough, but I'm not as partial to their necks. The choices offered at the standard price are rather limited, with upcharges for any options. With USACG there are many options offered without any upcharge. Tommy's personal service is a real plus as well.

Warmoth is fine, but for my money, I'll take USACG.

Forum Member
    i noticed that re-ranch was mentioned. I have a '66 strat that had been refinished in poly. The color was not a color avaiable in '66, so I decided to get the paint from re-ranch and try my hand at refinishing it (im not and expert refinisher by any stretch of the imagination). I went with lake placid blue. The paint comes in aresol spray cans....i was kind of skeptical because I have never seen aresol paint can deliver a spray pattern even enough to do a fine quality finish. Im here to tell you, the re-ranch aresol paints are a different breed. They shoot the smoothest spray pattern i've ever seen come from an aresol can. What impressed me the most was that the color was dead on. When i finished the guitar (total investment aprox 60 bucks) I took it to the music store i usually do business with. A salesman works there that used to be with fender and he looks at it and says "wow, lake placid blue, AND ITS REFLECTING THE RIGHT COLOR!" He goes on to say that fender pulled that color a while back becasue alot of "purists" complained that the color didn't reflect light right.

Bill at re-ranch is very helpful, I emailed him 3 or 4 times with questions and he e-mailed me back the very same day. They walk you through everything from removing your old finish to buffing out the new one

I got a finish that would have cost big bucks for cheap and I had a ball doing it...im serious ITS FUN!

im not spamming here just telling the truth

Forum Member

Warmoth vs USACG

I've been building guitars from Warmoth for several years. The ONLY issues I've had are sharp fret edges, otherwise, everything has been top notch. I've had them build custom bodies too. They built me an LP body with AAAAA flame front AND back with binding front and back that is just killer. They did an LP dc witha killer maple front and Pao Ferro back for me with a wenge neck that just is sex with lacquer. I've done some of their thrift shop necks and bodies as well, all top notch. I'm putting two of their necks (I'll explain) on a USACG hollow strat. The birdseye is just awesome, the rosewood is not any less beautiful. Tommy is building me a custom bodied hollow strat where the body is carved from one solid piece of korina, hollowed so the edges around are 1/2 inch thick, with the center solid (from Korina). He's put on top and back of quilted maple and is binding it top and back in ivoroid/black/ivoroid for me. Take a look at http://www.wizardsofaz.com/guitars/hollowcaster1.htm
    The rest of the guitars are on wizardsofaz.com/guitars

Rock on Gentlemen.

rick
    Last edited by TheWizardofAz; 01-10-2004 at 09:21 PM.

Great shots wiz. I too have had great luck with Warmoth parts. The thing I like about Warmoth is that they have necks and bodies in stock, with weights, specs and photos so you know exactly what you're buying. This latest Strat project guitar I have just bleeds soul and makes all the right sounds. I'm not sure if I could be happier with another one.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

I wish I could endorse Warmoth. I ordered a neck off their "showcase" and was throughly disappointed! It came with a 5/16 Knot right on top of the headstock. I spent over $220 for this "great" neck. What a POS! I thought the fretwork was excellent. I promptly returned it.
    My experience with USACG was fantastic! Tommy was a pleasure to deal with! USACG built me a great,solid neck. It sounded/played great! All around great workmanship and service. I would go with USACG...it's worth the wait! Warmoth really "dropped the ball" IMHO. I am constantly building guitars from various component companies including WD, Gregg Rogers and USACG. My first experience with Warmoth , will be my last. I can't understand what kinda' quality control they have at Warmoth to allow something as obvious as a 5/16 knot leave their facility! I would expect this from a mighty mite, not Warmoth.

Re: USACustom & Warmoth vs. Vintage Fender

Hi everybody. I'm a total newbie here. Cool forum!
    I'm looking to match a US 62 RI p bass neck which I have with a new light ash blonde body to get a 59ish P bass look/tone.
    Looks like they got the wood & workmanship, but do usacg offer nitro finishes? If not, can you point me in the right direction?
    All the best,
    Gil

Re: USACustom & Warmoth vs. Vintage Fender

Went with Mario from Guitar Mill.
    One piece feather weight swamp ash in blonde nitro finish.
    Looks like great products at a very reasonable prices.

Check his site at : http://guitarmill.com/about.html

I'll post the results in a few weeks.