Thread: Help w/ ID and value of a 70s Bassman head & cab

Help w/ ID and value of a 70s Bassman head & cab

My wife had a competition in Annapolis MD this morning. On the way back we stopped at her favorite Trader Joe's market which happens to adjoin a music store.

I'd never been in there before. It was the general stuff. Not a Fender dealer so the only "strats" on the walls were clones. Standard issue nu-metal kid with long hair, woolen cap, finger-tappin' Ibanez through gobs of buzzy distortion... Nothing particularly interesting...until...

I spotted an amp there for consignment sale. It was a 50 watt Bassman head and 4x10 cabinet in matching, badly beat-up blonde tolex. I couldn't really figure out what year it was and wouldn't necessarily know what to look for anyway beyond dates on the transformers and there was no way to see them tucked into the head like that. The cosmetics were silverface and the logo was "Fender Musical Instruments". Speakers had no labels or other identifying marks which I thought was a little odd.

I had the pleasure of trying it out with a $149 Jay Turser strat copy which was incredibly suctacular. The amp sounded decent though I was unable to really crank it and put it through its paces. The salesdood was dumbfounded that I would play a guitar through what was obviously a bass amp and he was quite concerned I would somehow "blow something up" so I kept the master volume on 2 while he eyed me warily.

Anyway, it had a tag for $1000 on it. I asked the guys to see if the seller would accept $700 and to give me a call if he would.

Thoughts, anyone?

Mucho grabass.
    Stetka
    Last edited by curtisstetka; 01-27-2007 at 04:49 PM.
    s'all goof.

Re: Help w/ ID and value of a 70s Bassman head & cab

That's about what they go for in CA. All beat up. The blackface models go for more (prior to '68). I have a '68 bassman 50 watt head that I restored, but I built my 2x12 cab to match. Had a recap job done along with the three-prong cord. Bought the head for 250 and have about another 350 in materials, and I did the work myself. Sounds good but I rarely play through it. More of a nostalgic project, cause I played though one in my first band.