Thread: 1950 broadcaster, 51 nocaster pu's

Forum Member

1950 broadcaster, 51 nocaster pu's

Is there anyone out here that can shed light on the technical specs of these pickups? ie. number of coil windings, awg wire, polepiece magnets (alnico 3 or 5?). Thanks, John.

Forum Member

Broadcaster pickups

Not an authority, but here's some information from the Duchossoir
    Telecaster Book. I don't know whether there is differentiation between Broadcaster and Nocaster pickup specification. From what I gather it was more evolution in the production process moving toward more of a product component standardization.
    There is true magic in those early Bridge pickups.
    I've converted a few 1950 Fender Champ lapsteel pickups into
    Broadcaster style Bridge pickups with amazing results, one measured 9.1K, another 8.7K and a third 8.4K, all different. The sound is pure Tele twang and I'm convinced that the
    43 gauge enamel wire has something to do with it.

Fender Early 50s Pickup specs
    Bridge
    42ga wire Plain enamel
    9200 turns average
    Alnico 5
    DC Resistance 7500 ohms
    Inductance 3.21 henries

Neck
    43ga plain enamel
    8000 turns average
    Alnico 5
    DC Resistance 7700 ohms
    2.15 henries

Earliest Bridge pickups may feature 10000 turns of wire; the early Broadcasters had 43 gauge wire in the Bridge and some pickups
    had resistance readings of over 9K, this feature is what accounts for the twang factor unique to Broadcaster pickups. When Fender changed wire gauge to 42ga and started to standardize production the specifications above were developed. Keep in mind there may be a 20% variation from spec particularly in the very early production periods.

http://www.lilypix.com/photos/showal...427&uuid=plank

Forum Member
    Thanks plankspanker! Sound all correct to me. I might be able to ask George Fullerton about this stuff if i can get him on the phone, he may be able to shed some light because he was along side of Leo when they put the boat paddle together! I just bought a lap stell from what is purported to be from 1950/51 and intended to do the very same thing you have. It's the only way you're going to get that sound without selling your house to obtain a real Broadcaster. John.