Thread: "Strat blues" amp for $1500?

jpagey

"Strat blues" amp for $1500?

I hate saying "SRV tone" but it's the best way to describe it. Call it "KWS tone" or "Duarte tone" if it feels better. I know the Super Reverb--I've owned one and loved it. I want that in an easier to carry/not so overpowering package. Big enough for playing in a medium sized bar where the band is "in the background" if you know what I mean. Places where you never would get the chance to show what a Super Reverb could do.

Seems stupid to buy an amp that I'll have to choke whenever I use it...

Re: "Strat blues" amp for $1500?

The Pro Reverb is the amp you are looking for. You can find BF versions for 1500 still. Early SF that still have a tube rectifier will get you there too.

They are a Twin Reverb sized combo with 2 x 12"s. Has control layout and similar circuit as Vibrolux Reverb with 40 watts.

Back in the day we all used a couple Twin Reverbs stacked one on top of another in bars and opened them both up. Great tone! Add a Big Muff pi and a Cry Baby and you were good to go.

Nowdays people want to be able to hear something after the show. ;)

I vote 'Coco Montoya' or 'Tommy Castro' tone.

Of course you'll get different answers about this one. Hotrods, BD, DRRI, BJr., the list goes on and that's just the common Fenders. Carvin, Peavey and others also make good Strat Blues amps, but how your amp responds to your hands & guitar setup can sound miles apart from what the same rig will do in other people's hands.

Personally, I use a HRDx with a couple pedals at home and a reprogrammed (by me) Line6 AX2 live because that's what works for me right now. I'm a Strat guy in a modern blues band so I can understand where you're coming from. My amps will change, they always have. Maybe I'll reverse the rigs soon. Personally I like changing stuff regularly. I have 6 tube amps from 15 to 135 watts here and still use the Line6 live. Go figure. I always use the tube rigs in the studio though.

Are you looking for a single 'do it all everywhere' amp or just for gigging medium size clubs?

Cheers,
    - JJ
    "I bet your Momma was a tent-show Queen ..."

jpagey

I'm past the age of gigging regularly and I'm also past the age of thinking there is any such thing as "do it all". In a perfect world, there would be a 2 x 10" 25W combo that would give me the SR "feel" at a lower volume but also have a 50W/SS rectifier option for when I wanted a tighter response for pedals.

I want to be better looking too.

I've never played a Pro Reverb but I have played the Hot Rod amps which I do like. They don't have that same thing going as the old Super Reverbs though--I can't explain it. I haven't tried the SRRI so I can't say whether they are the same. I'd like an older amp for some reasons but damn if the idea of continually pouring money into a 40 year old piec of equip doesn't scare me a bit.

The Pro reverb does the same thing as a Super but at lower volumes. You'll be so pleased at just how fat a Pro Reverb makes a strat sound. Super punchy and just plain thick and juicy. You'll never look back. They get nice and compressed sounding and real gritty when you start to dig in. If it's not exactly what you want when y ou get it (doubtful) a couple of real cheap reverable mods will make it do whatever you want to do. THE amp for Strat blues (at reasonable volumes).

The classic BF mods work for all BF amps. Using preamp tubes of different values to tailor your gain stage. NFB to get a bit more control of early breakup, etc.

If the Pro is too much amp... The Vibrolux is a nice option, but lacks a lot of the bottom.

This is what you want.

OK, it's $199 more in the 2x10", but it's what you want.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Would the pro reverb be a reasonable home amp or way too loud?

I live alone currently (college) so I don't have to worry about bothering flatmates.

Way too much amp for a house

jpagey

Thanks fellas! Now I have 2 choices--one vintage and one new production. The Allen amps do get alot of play on many boards but it's always tough not having the option to "try b4 you buy"... The "Old Flame" sounds pretty cool too.

Forum Member

Someday I'll own that Allen Encore. It'll be the VR I never had. In the meantime, biggest tone for shortest money remains SF twin or Super Reverb. Both come in under your budget. Both sound wonderful, and are way too damned heavy.