Thread: What Yellow Jacket should I get?

What Yellow Jacket should I get?

I would like to buy Yellow Jackets with EL 84's for my Fender Hot Hod Deluxe. Which one is suitable?

The YLSD is an adapter that permits the use of an EL84 power tube in place of a 6L6, EL34, or 6550 in grid-bias amps.

The YJC is an adapter that permits the use of an EL84 power tube in place of a 6L6, EL34, or 6550 in cathode-biased amps.

There are other choices at: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...+202766&page=1

Does anybody know if The Hot Rod Deluxe is cathode-biased, or grid biased? thanks.

A friend gave me this Wal-Mart guitar he smashed. Craziness.

Re: What Yellow Jacket should I get?

The Hot Rod Deluxe is grid-biased.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

thanks.

Forum Member

hang on, does this mean you can use these adaptors to increase the wattage of an amp? surely not.

I don't want to be the one to say it......

Could someone else please do it????

AmmStratocaster.......
    IS your amp working well right now? Does it sound good? How long have you had it?

I am just curious.....
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Forum Member

sorry ignore the post above i misread the website, i see it reduces power with the EL84's

I think I got the amp in 2001 new. I can not check the date of manufacture for sure since I don't have the amp with me at the moment.

Yes, the amp works and sounds good for all around playing, but I'm going for a different sound that is crunchier, and more compresed for rockier styles. I don't have the money for a new amp.

The Hot Rod Deluxe comes with GT Groove Tubes 6L6's but I am considering the Yellow jackets w/EL84's for many reasons:

1. I heard that the EL84 conversion would change the tone, making sound simmilar to a Vox AC30. Sure, I would loose the clear bottom end, but in exchange, I would get a sound that is crunchier, and have more bite, which I have always wanted.

2. Since it reduces the overall power of the amp by quite a bit, the amp breaks up sooner at a lower volume, which is okay. Normally, I never turn the vol. past 3 anyways even with a drummer, bass, and second guitarist. I heard volume is reduced about 3 dB, but will not become noticeable until you crank it.

3. These can be swapped in and out in seconds with my old set of 6L6's. Also, According to http://studentweb.eku.edu/justin_holton/, you do not need to rebias with Yellow Jackets every time you switch like you would if you bought a new set of tubes.

4. Since my old 6L6's are 5-6 years old, they are bound to burn out sometime. I will use the EL84's and keep the 6L6's as a backup set, or if I want my old sound back.

5. Yellow Jackets do not void the amp's warranty. (though it doesn't affect me since I have probably had the amp well past the warranty, anyways.)
    Last edited by AmmStratocaster; 01-24-2007 at 04:01 PM.