Thread: Does my Deville 410 need power tubes

Does my Deville 410 need power tubes

Hello, I am VERY new to the tube amp game, but not Fender products. I have been playing guitar for 7 years, and a Fender M80 Chorus for 6 years, but recently bought a used DeVille 410. I love it to death, but I just wanted to check before I spent money on tubes.

This is what is happening. I turn the amp on and let the tubes warm up for around 2 minutes in standby. I turn them on and start playing in the clear channel. After another couple minutes, I hear a loud POP/CRACK and all the sudden I hear a loud wooshing. My tone or volume doesn't seem to change all that much, but the amp is making a sound almost like a fireplace or wind.

From the research I've done, it looks like it needs power tubes. I've seen a similar description for this under random web pages "do you need to change tubes." But I'm still new to the descriptions for tube amps. I am very technically savvy and changing tubes and setting the bias looks very easy. I just want to see if anyone experienced thinks this is indeed a power tube issue before I spend $50 on tubes.

Thank you in advance.

Re: Does my Deville 410 need power tubes

I would recommend it anyways! Go with some new power tubes. It sounds like it needs it from the description.

Forum Member

Even if tubes aren't your problem (though I bet it is), you need an extra set anyway. You should have extra tube for every type in your amp in your gig kit...

I had the same experience a few weeks ago with my HDv. I heard some crackling and wooshing. I replaced the 12AT7 in V1 and the problem went away. Check the V1 tube first but go ahead and get some new power tubes and rebias. Let us know what you find out. Tom

Thanks guys. I'll go ahead and buy a whole new set. I don't know how old the amp is or how old the tubes are. But I know it was gigged by a local band. It could probably use some.