Thread: Monster Cables and Lifetime Warranty?

Forum Member
    State of GAS: I think I may be moving to Happytown

Monster Cables and Lifetime Warranty?

Anyone know if Monster Cables come with a lifetime replacement warranty and if so do they really honor it?

My local guitar store said if it EVER fails bring it back and swap it out no questions asked. Seemd like a prety good deal for a little more money. (Yes I know it only cost them $3 to make them)

Re: Monster Cables and Lifetime Warranty?

Yes they do.

However, in the past fifteen years, the only time I've ever encountered a failing cable, it was a Monster (or a poorly constrcted George L).

I've got free cables from Sam Ash that have lasted me ten years. I don't know anybody who's had a Monster that lasted more than six months.

Is it worth the hassle?
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Forum Member

what cables do you use?

Or are you saying you use generic Sam Ash Cables?

Forum Member

I might add I spent about 20 minutes in my garage last night at 15 degrees fixing my POS peavey cable.

Bought a monster today to replace it.

I've had a pair of Monster cables that have lasted me about 6 years now. Gigged with 'em and everything. One of them I used to have to wrap around the amp head on the stack I had because the input jack on the head was sloppy, you had to put some tension on it to get the juice flowing. And it still works!

I don't know if they're worth the premium price you pay for some of 'em, but if they come with a lifetime warranty, like, bring it in wherever they're sold, no questions asked, that's a great deal for the traveling/touring musician, and maybe worth paying for.

All that Rock cable/Jazz cable crap, like 'different cables for different styles', now that's a bunch of crap IMHO. Oops, didn't mean to turn this into a hot-button topic...

Quote Originally Posted by BassmanTweed View Post
    I might add I spent about 20 minutes in my garage last night at 15 degrees fixing my POS peavey cable.
    For God's sake man! Do what I do and just take everything apart in the comfort of your living room. Then when your wife/girlfriend/domestic life partner asks you what the hell you think you're doing, just mumble something like, "I know, sorry, I just have to see, uh..." and then trail off and try to look like you're concentrating really hard on it. They'll leave you alone.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by boobtube21 View Post
    All that Rock cable/Jazz cable crap, like 'different cables for different styles', now that's a bunch of crap IMHO. Oops, didn't mean to turn this into a hot-button topic...
    100% AGREE. I bought speaker cable for my home thearter at $8 a foot about 2 days after i felt like the biggest putz on the market. wire is for the most part wire. All made from the same supplier.

For God's sake man! Do what I do and just take everything apart in the comfort of your living room. Then when your wife/girlfriend/domestic life partner asks you what the hell you think you're doing, just mumble something like, "I know, sorry, I just have to see, uh..." and then trail off and try to look like you're concentrating really hard on it. They'll leave you alone.
    well my work bech is out there and it was just easier to "get er done" than bring eveything inside. Plus at 15 degrees my beer did not get warm

Forum Member

that was my point.

what cables do you use?

Or are you saying you use generic Sam Ash Cables?
    I've got a few Sam Ash cables lying around the house. They're "anniversary" cables, I got for free when Sam Ash bought out Brian Guitars in New Haven. That would be 1994.

I've got a bunch of Spectraflex I bought around fifteen years ago, when I was on a tweed/cloth covered wire binge, and I've got a couple of other metal end cables lying about.

I usually use the Spectraflex just because. When I need to replace it, I'll go with some regular rubber covered stuff, because the spectraflex soaks up spilled beer.

In my closet, I've got a couple of cables I bought in the late seventies or early 80's. One of these days, I'll resolder the ends, and they'll be as good as new.
    orange picks

Nothing like winding up a wet cable around your arm after a long gig, eh?

I've got 4 Monster cables that I've had for 6 years now, and nary a problem with any of them. I spent the extra bucks because of the marketing hype, and the warranty if ever I needed it.

To be fair, I also have several generic cables put together by me with Switchcraft ends and Belden cable. I've had those even longer, and nary a problem with any of them either.

So is the warranty and the hype worth the extra dough? Don't know, I guess I'll find out when/if one fails.
    POO DAT!!!

I exchanged a Monster cable at GC and it was a pretty big hassle. The salespersons face got real long when I told them I wanted to exchange the cable for a new one. It then required a manager approval which took another small eternity and got pushed aside while others were attended to.

Then had to turn over name, rank serial number, address, phone etc.

Forum Member

I believe that great cables are extremely difficult to find. I think that even decent cables that last a long time ( most likely with special care -not road abuse) are JUST "ok"> I really cannot tolerate these kinds of cables. This generic Beldon and Sam Ash stuff really is pretty bad at letting youre guitars signal shine thru. Coming from an audio hi-fi background , I can say that most of the stuff, as pointed out, is indeed snake oil. That said, a well manufactured cable, and I believe Monster cable is a good example of that, is well worth the money. Not only is it better constructed, but it will make your guitar sound better.I am of the opinion that even the Monster Cable stuff that ive seen is second rate, and I am still looking for a great guitar cable.I found a company called "PRO-CO, and ordered one of their FAT MAX dedicated "Speaker cables" . http://www.procosound.com/fatmax.htm . Its a huge thick gauge cable that is beautiful and obviously so well made-big thick 8 gauge and bullet proof construction. They go for about hundred dollars a pop. Let me say the enormous difference it made compared to a inexpensive Beldon or Sam Ash, or even a Monstern is night and day. I can't remember when a single difference made such a dramatic impact. Buy one, is all I can say. I havent checked out Pro-Co guitar cables. For now, Monster is pretty darn good and much better than most , but I am on the lookout for a great cable, and willing to pay the price. The problem with great cables in the past is the terminal connections are only margianally better than the less expensive stuff. No Cable is going to be perfect, but I hope I can find technology like the PRo-Co FAt MAX Speaker cable in a guitar cable. <p> EDIT_ Actually, i just looked at the PRo-CO "Blackjack" guatar cable. It looks excellent. Maybe not as good as the "Fatmax" speaker cable, but I think I will order one.Its the best Ive seen so far, although I haven't checked much. Heres the link to the Pro-CO "Blacjack" guitar cable- http://www.procosound.com/blackjack.htm
    Last edited by jerryjg; 01-17-2007 at 11:19 PM.

Nothing like winding up a wet cable around your arm after a long gig, eh?
    Actually, I never do that. I use velcro and a looping motion that I learned in HS stage crew. Keeps the stress down on the cable.
    orange picks

Forum Member

So this is my theory (and I could be wrong) regarding better sounding cables.

A. After spending that much we want to hear a difference so it may be exagerated. (I include myself in this category)

B. Logic tells me that the most important part of the cable is not really the wire itself but the sheilding, or whatever it is that keeps the cable from acting like a long antena and introducing noise. Think about it, the amount of power that is traveling through that cable is pretty low and once it reaches your amp it is most likely reduced to a tinty tiny gauge wire that takes the signal from the input jack to the pcb board where the "wire" is even smaller.

????

Mogami

I wouldn't have believed it until I experienced it.

I've heard the difference, a tangible audible difference.

Trip Wamsley had his state-of-the art, multi-thousand dollar bass rig and Alembic set up next to my econo-rig and '69 Jazz.

He adjusted my preamp tone and cab horn attenuators to simulate the tone of his rig as closely as possible.

Then he said, "let's switch cables" (from my Switchcraft/Beldon to his Mogami).

Everyone present (including the club's soundman) clearly heard the difference.
    Ayatollah of Dumbassollah

facebook: Stephen Doc Watson

Quote from Kap'n: I've got a bunch of Spectraflex I bought around fifteen years ago, when I was on a tweed/cloth covered wire binge

I have Spectraflex cables too that I bought around the same time. They are still working great. Although, I get teased because one of the cables looks like those old-timey cords on clothes irons.

Quote Originally Posted by doc540 View Post
    Mogami

I wouldn't have believed it until I experienced it.

I've heard the difference, a tangible audible difference.

Trip Wamsley had his state-of-the art, multi-thousand dollar bass rig and Alembic set up next to my econo-rig and '69 Jazz.

He adjusted my preamp tone and cab horn attenuators to simulate the tone of his rig as closely as possible.

Then he said, "let's switch cables" (from my Switchcraft/Beldon to his Mogami).

Everyone present (including the club's soundman) clearly heard the difference.
    Curious Doc -

was that the cords between the Sansamp and QSC/anything else.....or just your instrument cable?

I have "OK" cords between comonents, but do have a ProCO....it was a gift (I could never afford one - and justify it)

Added - I looked at the site....I may have to look at it again when I get home. They don't show one like mine, which was manufactured "for Fender"......about 4-5 years ago. Very Heavy and a great jack end.

BTW - Agreed that how you handle the cord helps to determine how long you will use it......
    Like Kap'n - Looped and velcro'd
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

My local guitar store said if it EVER fails bring it back and swap it out no questions asked. Seemd like a prety good deal for a little more money. (Yes I know it only cost them $3 to make them)
    The thing is, if if fails at a gig, you better have a spare, meaning- the Price of a Monster x 2.

The warrantee's fine, the next day though.

I have a couple Monster Cables that I bought since I ceased playing out. I earned store credit for having some card punched.
    They've held up fine in my living room.

I used the same Belden/Switchcraft cable (w/local music shop's logo etc on yellow shrink cover on the ends) for pretty much all my garage band through coffee house years. 12+ years.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n
    Actually, I never do that. I use velcro and a looping motion that I learned in HS stage crew. Keeps the stress down on the cable.
    I think I know what looping action you're talking about. We do the same thing with all the lines/halyards on the boats I work on.

My method is a little faster, though not necessarily great for the cable: I just fold it in half again and again until it's short enough to tie in a knot. Keeps them from getting tangled with each other, and works good enough for me.

TFF Stage Crew

"to tie in a knot"

Ugh, you just made me cringe. You should never tie cables in a knot. By some cheap velcro plant ties or something. I'm sure its been working fine for you, and that's all good, but tying them in a knot is the quickest way to destroy the shielding.

So even a loose knot like this is bad? Sorry if this makes you cringe even more :

I've been at both ends of a Monster warranty. I use the 500 Jazz (that's what they had in the legnth I wanted at the time) and broke one...took it in, a bit of computerwork (as opposed to paperwork) I walked out with a new one.
    I also worked at GC, exchanged them all the time.
    You do have to find the customer in the computer, which can sometimes take a little while. if it was busy, I'd run it uinder a generic name and punch in the skus by hand.,
    stuff like that does need manager approval, though (good thing I was dept. manager at the time...)

Forum Member

So even a loose knot like this is bad? Sorry if this makes you cringe even more :

I'm more interested in the gold velvet brocade tassled pillows and the beige Velour sofa. Who's your interior decorater? I've GOT to met 'em!

Easy, buddy!

The color on the couch came out weird from the light, it's actually more of a grey, and in suede. Even sexier, huh?

I can't seem to come up with an explanation for the pillow though. We do need help in the decorating department, bad.

TFF Stage Crew

Only a slight cringe for the loose knot. Those are good cables and really durable, but still, buy some velcro and give that poor shielding a break.

I don't have a problem with using cheaper cables that ALSO has a lifetime warranty, i.e. Horizon cables.
    Despite what others here and in other forums have stated, I and more importantly the audience, can't tell the difference in sound quality of cables...in general.