Thread: "Recycle" pots from guitar with Lace Sensors?

Forum Member

"Recycle" pots from guitar with Lace Sensors?

Hi all,

I just changed the pickups in my '91 Jeff Beck Strat from Lace Sensor Golds to Texas Specials. My soldering skills are not the greatest, so I decided to "recycle" the switch and pots that came with the guitar.

I had to unsolder the coil tap switch first, and then I moved everything to a new s-s-s pickguard.

I do have a question though... What is with the double tone pot? Should I swap that as well? Does it affect the sound differently than a stock Fender setup?

I noticed that there is a "notch" on this tone pot, at the halfway point. Turning it up is super bright, halfway is kinda muddy.

Re: "Recycle" pots from guitar with Lace Sensors?

That's a TBX control.

0-5 is supposed to be a regular tone control, 5-10 is supposed to be a treble and bass expander. I say "supposed to be a reqular tone control" because I think a regular 250k pot sounds better than a TBX from 0-5.

It's not a bad thing if you like it. I usually removed them from my guitars just because I didn't need the brightness and I didn't like having a detent in the middle of the pot.

There are wiring schemes available to improve it as well.

I'd leave it in until you hear it with the new pickups and decide later if you'd like to remove it.

Forum Member

Re: "Recycle" pots from guitar with Lace Sensors?

Thanks for the info - and thanks to the rest of the board for not clobbering me for sheer laziness!

I did a search after reading your response and found loads of info on the board about the TBX control... interesting stuff!

I gave 'em a whirl and I seem to like the extra presence/brightness on "10". When I put it on "5", the tone seemed to be rather dull.

I'm recording using virtual amps now (Amplitube 2) and the extra presence makes the recordings sound more realistic, in my humble opinion.