Thread: Simple 3 mic drum recording ideas

Simple 3 mic drum recording ideas

Suppose you want to mic a drum kit for recording using 3 (modestly priced) mics: What are the 3 mics to use, and where do you place them? Theories, wisdom and insights appreciated.

-Mark

Re: Simple 3 mic drum recording ideas

Don't have the info at hand, but Fezz posted something on this a year or so ago. You ought to be able to find it with the search.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

TFF Stage Crew

Mark--IMO you need a minimum of four. Kick, snare, and stereo overhead for the rest. Miking each piece is preferred of course, but you can get a killer drum recording with four.

It's just that in the mix, you'll really want to be able to bring the levels (and EQs of course) to different places for the kick & snare, adding the overheads to taste.

As Kap'n knows (), I'd recommend Sennheiser mics: for the kick the e602, for the snare the e604, and for the overheads, two e614s.

(PS, if you must do only three, eliminate the snare mic since the overheads won't pick up any of the good frequencies from the kick at all.)

Hope that helps.

I get excellent results with a four - mic setup (and have recorded CDs that way). I use two large-diaphragm condensers (Rode NT-1 in my case) as overheads, one kick drum mic (whatever's available) and a SM 57 on the snare. Since the OHs pick up the snare very well when placed properly I rarely use much of the snare track when mixing, so you might get away with a two OH and one kick setup. I always get a very organic sounding drum-sound, though this might not work for every style.

Forum Member

Fezz, is that the actual mic you use? Because if so i might buy one oh... now! Its so cheap. Anyway if its not, how do you think it'd work? And if you were going to use that you would put it so its stereo similar to the way the drummers ears are correct? Ive been looking at an effective way to mic drums with only a few mics, and this looks promising.
    My Band: Tabula Rasa

Forum Member

As long as were on the subject of drum micing, i figured i'd ask: to mic the kick drum, will somthing like an SM 58 work? Ive used it before, it sounds alright, but its not big sounding. It might just be because the drummers set its pretty crappy, but, who knows. I know a few companies make kick mics, but its not worth $200 just for good kick sound.

Gravity Jim

If that mic is happenin' for you, fezz, I may have to grab one. Heck, how can you go wrong for 20 bucks??!?

Hey, who is the band in that third pic in your post above? That white SG is the sland. And is that an RMI electric piano?

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by nabskater View Post
    As long as were on the subject of drum micing, i figured i'd ask: to mic the kick drum, will somthing like an SM 58 work? Ive used it before, it sounds alright, but its not big sounding. It might just be because the drummers set its pretty crappy, but, who knows. I know a few companies make kick mics, but its not worth $200 just for good kick sound.
    It will work, but if you're going to use anything other than a LD mic for kick, it starts to lose the point. In fact, I'd almost prefer a 57 over a 58 because the enhanced proximity effect will ghost you more bass response than the 58 would get normally.

This recording was made live* with four mics on the drums in my basement studio. Two 57s (x/y) as overheads, one 57 on the snare, and a Shure kick drum mic the drummer owned. I think the drums sound great this way, and would sound even better if the x/y had been decent condensers instead of 57s. This was before I had mics for the entire kit.

Texas weather on a Tele

*(The bass went direct from his amp and my amp was miked with another 57, while the singer was in relative isolation in another room singing into an AKG C4000. The organ was the only thing overdubbed later)
    Last edited by pc; 01-09-2007 at 01:17 PM. Reason: changed the word "drums" to "snare"

Forum Member

Alright, well at the urging of the masters, i put in a bid for one of those
    "accidents" on ebay. current price is $9.99 hope i dont break the bank. Also i was browsing the 'bay and i saw this
    Looks like a really good deal, concidering that normally they are $130 each, and it looks like it'd be a great solution for drum mic'ing. Stereo pair of decent condensers. Cooooool

pc- that recording sounded quite good. very good drum sound for what you used. You saud you used 2 57's as overheads and one 57 on the drums. What does that mean? Did you mean snare? Just wondering. Thanks.

EDIT: Do you think that the PG-81's in that link above would sound good at all mic'ing a guitar cab?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka View Post
    For the kick, use an 8" speaker wired as a mic. Big fat kick sounds!
    Wow, your just full of tricks aren't you?? Thats so weird because i actually have an old 8"er that ive been trying to find a use for...
    So now the question that i have to ask. How do you go about turning it into a mic?? Thanks a lot for helping, its greatly appriciated!

TFF Stage Crew

Yeah, sorry, the third 57 was on the snare. I edited my post above to correct that typo.

Fezz, you rock!

Hey, what's the model number on that Realistic stereo mic? I'm looking for some cool toys for my low-budget home studio...

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Forum Member

Ok so i hooked up the stock speaker out of my DRRI as a mic, and just listening to music with heavy bass thru the speaker-mic gets me excited to record, as it has a very full low end spectrum. Fezz, do you have any idea of what the speaker size or what its used for (woofer etc) will effect on the sound? Turned out that 8"er was dead, btw. Im guessing bigger speaker = more bass? Or recording sound thats farther down the bass end of the spectrum? Props on a good idea!

Gravity Jim

I read recently that some Beatles bass guitar sounds were recorded using this kind of ultra-large diaphragm dynamic "mic."

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka View Post
    For the kick, use an 8" speaker wired as a mic. Big fat kick sounds!
    I haven't heard that idea in a long time.

http://www.radiold.com/misc/micropho...crophone06.jpg
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Forum Member

Man i love you guys, your jsut full of all sorts of ideas, huh?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenjangle View Post
    Hey, what's the model number on that Realistic stereo mic? I'm looking for some cool toys for my low-budget home studio...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...3883&rd=1&rd=1

This says its called an ECM-99, but im not sure if thats what you were lookign for.

Damn, and only $10 right now, with two days to go.
    orange picks

Forum Member

Oh.... im retarted.

two SDC's on a stand in X/Y pattern (use a t bar to do it) over the drummer but micing from behind pointed somewhat down at the drums along with a LD dynamic is what i used to use for certain recordings (like our small jazz ensemble). i used a beta 52 or RE20 for the kick and either earthworks SR77's or shure SM81's.

worked pretty well.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member

So if i was to use somthing like the Shure PG-81

as drum overheads as well as one mic for the snare and on for the kick, what kind of positioning would you recomend for best sound quality? Shoulf I X/Y the 2 PG-81's over the drummers head? Since these are relatively directional mics, how high would you think they would need to be to get a balanced sound from the cymbals vs toms and etc

TFF Stage Crew

The way you're doing it with the other mics, I'd x/y them about 18-24" above the cymbals and point at a downward angle for the best spread on the cymbals & toms. Should sound just fine.

If you put them above the drummer's head, I'd use the same height but angled almost straight downward.

NS,

to tell you honestly, i don't really remember how high above and all that jazz. that was a couple years ago when i was really only recording. honestly, i didn't ever feel like i needed a snare mic, but that's just me.

i didn't point the mics straight down though, it was more "up and over" if that makes sense. i'll see if i can scribble up a drawing for ya. this was a micing pattern i learned from my teacher. it worked great for more of an "old school" or "natural" sound.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member

Just a question for fezz- If you use a guitar speaker as a mic VS a full range speaker, is the guitar speaker going to pick up more guitar range frequencies while a full range speaker will pick up more bass?

Forum Member

what about mixing, once you've got the tracking to sound good, with these 2-4 mic systems? no problem on a seperate hh, bass or snare mic, but on the condenser(s) overhead, is there need for compression? if so, is it difficult to find the best settings with the cymbals being so involved?

also, our drummer plays his ride on his left, always has, and really prefers it, would this be a problem with this kind of system? or maybe better?

Gravity Jim

This is Lisa, Jim's wife. I got a call from Debbie in TX (on the forum)
    but the return number was a fax number... I have not used the forum and am having a problem trying to
    find a way to post a new message.

I wanted everyone to know that Jim's surgery went well. He is resting - uncomfortably - which is the best they can offer for the moment. He was up and walking twice today...still using loads of the nice medicine that turns off the pain and the brain. It was the right decision to have surgery, as the doctor found a loop that was infected and attached to the wall. He also found a second area of blockage. All in all they took about a foot and a half.

We are waiting for that magical moment when all systems are go, if you know what I mean : )

Hopefully he will be home by Sunday and making music again soon. He said to tell all his buddies on the Forum hello! And thank you all for your good wishes. If you have other questions you can send email to me at lbordner@acpl.info
    That's my work email.

Lisa for
    Jim Bordner
    Gravity Music Ft. Wayne, IN
    260.485.1346... soon to be 260-755-5000

orange picks