Thread: New Combo Amp Closeout - DEAL

New Combo Amp Closeout - DEAL

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...mbo?sku=480759

I would consider one of these if I wasn't already set up.....oh yeah....and broke.
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Forum Member

Re: New Combo Amp Closeout - DEAL

I'd like to get some feedback on whether these are any good or not. All of the Kustom stuff I've seen is PA gear and what I've seen is really low-end trash. Never run across bass amps.

Thanks for any education.

Wait! They want $70 more for shipping! Deal-killer. Good bye.
    Last edited by Mahaqa; 12-26-2006 at 04:23 PM.

Its still cheaper than the head alone.....

I haven't heard one, and would bet that it is a decent combo. PLenty of power. The shipping wouldn't kill the deal for me. I am getting ready to pick up a head and shipping is about $30 just for that.

I would be half tempted to run the head with my cab, and put it in the combo for small gigs and practice though......
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FrankJohnson View Post
    Its still cheaper than the head alone.....
    I didn't see the head anywhere.

I haven't heard one, and would bet that it is a decent combo. PLenty of power.
    Maybe, but solid-state watts are awfully cheap these days. I'd like to hear it before buying, especially after my experience with the other Kustom stuff I've heard, which was just junk -- very noisy, nasty gear. To be fair, this of course could be entirely different, but I couldn't take it on trust.

The shipping wouldn't kill the deal for me. I am getting ready to pick up a head and shipping is about $30 just for that.
    $70 from MF is a gouge, plain and simple. If they can send me a cheap drum set with a ton of hardware, most of it two-day airfreight, in several boxes for free, as they did recently, they certainly can pony up ground shipping for this, or do the $20 surcharge, at least. I saw the same $70 shipping gouge on an expensive Hughes & Kettner combo that was considerably smaller and lighter than this. No way. I'd die first.

I'd wait until they have some free-shipping-on-everything offer in January if I were seriously interested in this item.

Tip: You can also order everything in the MF inventory through Giardinelli, MF's in-house subsidiary, at the same price. They often have separate shipping promotions. That's how I dodged the $20 (not $70!) shipping surcharge on all those drums, a Giardinelli free-shipping promotion.

Forum Member

I found this guy who posted this bit of info. about this Kustom combo....600W @ 3 ohms (2 ohm min) @ 5% THD...

Extrapolating in a very "seat-of-the-pants" way (FWIW) to other amp specs I've seen, I figure this is about a 450W head clean at the very best. Also, since the attached cab is already 3 ohms, you would not be able to drive other speakers at the same time without "underloading" the head. IMHO, having a 3 ohm cab portion is about the stupidest thing they could've done, and probably why it's on blowout, 'cause they can't sell them.

Lessee... 106 back breaking pounds for a 115 450W combo that can't do extension cabs... uhhhh, yeah, riiiiight... NOT!

Kustom, what were you thinking????

Forum Member

My strong instinct was that the power rating on this was a bit "optimistic," but I was giving it the benefit of the doubt.

Here's another bass combo closeout
    -- on which you're expected to drop an additional $70 shipping.

I have no idea if it's a good amp or not. I have a range of SWR Pro Series stuff that covers this base pretty well, though if the modeling were good enough, it might make an interesting addition.