Thread: American Groove Tubes

Forum Member

American Groove Tubes

Has anyone tried the New American 6L6 Groove Tubes in a Hot Rod series amp? if so how does it sounds?? thanks

Forum Member

Overpriced

You mean the GE clones? I've seen detailed comparisons, and the construction isn't exactly the same as the old GEs, but it's pretty damn close. If they sound like the real deal and last as long, they will be good tubes. However, the typical GT price gouging will keep me away. I ain't payin' $90 for a pair of 6L6s. I'll run Svetlanas or JJs before I pay that price.

I've got a pair in my '60 tweed Bassman. They sound good, maybe distort a little more than the old Tung-Sols I had in there before. That's about the only comparison I can make as the difference is pretty subtle.

Forum Member
    Where can I get a pair at the moment..or are they still being beta tested ??

Forum Member
    you can get them from musicians friend and probably guitar center!

Forum Member
    Thanks buddy...if they last they may be worth it !!!

Forum Member
    Yeah thats what i think i'm hoping to get a set by the end of the summer!

Forum Member
    I just got a brown Hot Rod Deluxe w/ groove tubes. So far I like them pretty well but their life will dictate if I buy them for replacements. I'm very suprised at this amp. It sounds great and the three channel (clean,drive,and overdrive) feature is unique. I run it through a 2x12 cabinet and it rocks!

Re: Overpriced

Originally posted by Tremo
    You mean the GE clones? I've seen detailed comparisons, and the construction isn't exactly the same as the old GEs, but it's pretty damn close. If they sound like the real deal and last as long, they will be good tubes. However, the typical GT price gouging will keep me away. I ain't payin' $90 for a pair of 6L6s. I'll run Svetlanas or JJs before I pay that price.
    I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed the differences. On another forum Myles (from GT) posted a pic of the new GE's and said they were identical in every way. I pointed out the narrow basses (Russian style) the way the bottoms were seated, and the internal construction was not the same. He initialy denied the differences, so I posted some photos of NOS GE's. He then acknowleged the differences BUT hes says the tubes are 95% USA made. There is a coating process that he says is done "OffShore" because of EPA (or some other agency) concerns.

But having said all that I have heard from several of the first users that they are remarkable tubes. Like you, the $90.00 is a tough choice.

Luckily, I have enough NOS GE,RCA, & Tung-Sols to last the rest of my lifetime. :2c

Forum Member
    Yo Casey,

I hear ya man. I'm glad that Pittman is making a very high quality and reliable (we hope) 6L6. His prices are sky high, but it's up to the individuals if they think it's worth it.

The NOS Philips 6L6s can be had for less, and they're every bit as good as any current production tube from GT.

Like you, I have a lifetime supply of 6L6s from GE, RCA and Philips, so it's a non-issue for me. What I'd *really* like to see is someone make a high quality current production 6V6. The commie block stuff is still too cheezy and light duty.

I am curious about trying some KT66s though. I have a pair of the Valve Arts and a pair of the GTs, but haven't tried them yet in any of my old Fenders.

Tremo,

I agree about the 6V6's the stuff that is out there just does not compare in any way to the NOS stuff.

I asked Myles (GT) what was next and he said they are tooling up for a GE 6CA7, I hope that goes well too.

I also asked what about some GE RI 12AX7's, 12AT7's etc and some REAL dependable rectifiers like GZ34's, 5Y3's and 5U4G's.

But he has yet to answer me either way.

Forum Member
    I wonder just how much GE tooling they bought? A big-bottle 6CA7 might be nice, but I think the market for them isn't so big. The classic Marshall crunch comes from EL34s, not 6CA7s. They bias the same, but they're totally different in internal construction. In the "taste tests" of these things run by VTV magazine, the EL34s walked all over the 6CA7s (and variants thereof, like KT77) tone-wise. Regardless, Pittman is pretty sharp at sales and marketing, so there may be a large market segment that I've overlooked.

It would be cool if GT bought the tooling for the GE 6V6. I think the problem with making a good and really robuse 6V6 these days is that it would cost about the same as a 6L6, and a lot of customers might have problems with that. Can you imagine paying $90, or even $80 for a pair of 6V6s? It's hard.

Forum Member
    Any lead in's on where I can score quad's of some NOS Phillips 6L6's ??..Thanks

Originally posted by Lurks
    Any lead in's on where I can score quad's of some NOS Phillips 6L6's ??..Thanks
    Try Mike at KCA he probably has those and/or Jan 6L6WGBs.

KCA NOS Tubes

Forum Member
    Speaking of Mike at KCA, I wonder if he'll be joining us here?

Originally posted by Tremo
    Speaking of Mike at KCA, I wonder if he'll be joining us here?
    I sure hope so Mike is a cool guy with a lot of knowlege. Maybe somebody should invite him:yay

Forum Member
    Mike may be reluctant to post here, as it may jeopardize his posting permission elsewhere.

If you are in a pinch, the GT 5881 is NOS Phillips. I picked up a pair for $50. Otherwise, KCA sells them at a better price, last time I checked, and probably tests them more stringently too.

I have been swapping different tubes in my Fender CVR and the current winners are Phillips 12ax7's and Phillips 6L6.

Forum Member

groove tube GE 6L6's

hey tremo, i saw them at guitar center at $ 56.00 apair! i hope they come close to the ge's because i'd just bought apair of ge 6l6's for $110.00??

Forum Member
    Wow! Amazing. $56 a pair is a decent price. Is that a special sale or is that going to be the normal price?

I picked up a set of the GT KT66 a couple months back, at CG for a really good sale price. If you've never tried a KT66 in a 6L6 hole you might want to check it out. They have the fattest tone you can imagine. Of course, rebias is mandatory. The GT Russian made KT66HP is good, as is the Chinese Valve Art brand.

Forum Member

groove tubes ge 6l6's !

no tremo, he said that was the normal amount, but you had to order them!

hey i know your afriend of KBR and so am i. he's got great tone on his new CD! i live in the valley and hang out with the mofo party band! have you ever heard of them??

chris

Re: groove tubes ge 6l6's !

Originally posted by afenderman67
    no tremo, he said that was the normal amount, but you had to order them!

hey i know your afriend of KBR and so am i. he's got great tone on his new CD! i live in the valley and hang out with the mofo party band! have you ever heard of them??

chris

KBR (AKA Kenny Blue Ray)

If you are talking about the one with Jackie Payne as vocalist... your'e right, it is killer.

Forum Member
    Yeah, KBR is a friend. Actually, I took guitar lessons from him for some time when I was living the the silicon valley area. I've sat in with him at some of his gigs, it's a blast. I've met Jackie Payne also, nice guy, great vocalist, and he really works the crowd well. I saw them together at the Elk Grove Brewery a few months back.

KBR's tone comes from simple Fender amps, strong pickups, and his huge hands. He's been at it a looooong time.

Re the mofo party band, I've heard of them, but never actually heard them. Are they a blues-rock band?

Forum Member

mofo?

no there not a blues rock band, they are pure blue's and do a lot of little walter and stuff like that!!

check out there web site= www.mofopartyband.com

there going to be at the sonora blues fest this weekend!
    check them out!!

chris

Forum Member
    Kewl, thanks for the link. I'm relieved to hear that they're NOT a blues-rock band because that shit bores me to death. Gimme the hard core traditional stuff played in the traditional manner.