Thread: Acoustic Control Corp. Amps...

Acoustic Control Corp. Amps...

Inspired by a discussion in another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by mgade View Post
    I don't judge SS amps on this experience. I once used an Acoustic head on top of the same 2 4*12 cabs, and it sounded exactly like my Marshall head - that probably was a plexi or something. Back in the day it was just a junk Head :toobad
    Huh...There's this old Acoustic guitar combo at my local Music/Pawn shop (can't remember what model) that they only want $125 for...I've been tempted time and time again to try it since I know Pat Metheny used one back in the day (along with Jaco Pastorius) and I've always dug those fusion/punk jazz tones from the ECM album days.

"The Acoustic 134 model - Pat used this transistor amp for 20 years from 1974 to 1994. Although it had the sound he was looking for, it was noisy, and tended to break a lot. Says Pat: "That amp had the sound for me. flat, kind of midrangy-bright but mellow and LOUD without any distortion. a hard combination of things to find in one place."

They may be considered 'low' but if it gets you the sounds that you want, right?

Anyone have more information/experience/opinions on these old SS amps?

Thanks!
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Re: Acoustic Control Corp. Amps...

I'm not sure if this is the same model I had in the mid - late 70s. Mine was rated at 125 watts RMS, had 2 speakers, and I think it was set up so you could patch the normal channel into the vibrato channel and get some kind of overdrive from the normal channel. I tried a couple of times and it was way too loud for my purposes! It was really too mid rangey for most rock purposes. It was very "flat" on both ends of the spectrum. The highs sounded dull and the bottom lacked "punch". It had both vibrato and reverb, neither of which sounded very good. I made a huge mistake buying that amp. I traded a FENDER Super Six Reverb in on it. The FENDER was getting a little too heavy for me to transport.
    ~Yardbird~

"03" Les Paul Standard (Ebony finish)
    "04" Les Paul 1959 Reissue (DarkBurst)
    "04" FENDER Standard Stratocaster (Sage Green) Rosewood fretboard - 2004 model

2011 FENDER Deluxe Reverb RI
    2012 MESA/Boogie Express 5:50
    2013 MESA/Boogie Express 5:50 plus head with 2 23" 1 X 12 MESA LoneStar cabs

I guess that explains why they went out of business then.

Although the things you mention that it lacked is probably why the jazz guys liked them.

I appreciate you sharing your experience...thanks!
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,

-Edmund Burke

Forum Member

for that price, snap it up! you can always sell it so some jazzer on ebay at a proffit if it isnt your thing.

I don't think their bass amps (the ones with the big "reflex" cabs) were too bad. Didn't JPJ use a couple in Led Zep.? Some people Also used the big 270 guitar amp. I think you could get the cab with 2 - 15" JBLs with an exponential horn at the top, or 4 - 12" JBLs. Albert King comes to mind as well as Robbie Krieger.
    ~Yardbird~

"03" Les Paul Standard (Ebony finish)
    "04" Les Paul 1959 Reissue (DarkBurst)
    "04" FENDER Standard Stratocaster (Sage Green) Rosewood fretboard - 2004 model

2011 FENDER Deluxe Reverb RI
    2012 MESA/Boogie Express 5:50
    2013 MESA/Boogie Express 5:50 plus head with 2 23" 1 X 12 MESA LoneStar cabs

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_appleyard View Post
    for that price, snap it up! you can always sell it so some jazzer on ebay at a proffit if it isnt your thing.
    I gurantee it was a jazzer that sold it to the pawn shop years ago...what being in U of North Texas land and all.

Thing is, it's been sitting in there for years and it's in great condition cosmetically. It's got a real rich brown tolex-type covering on it and it's a 1-12 combo, I think.

When I get the cash I may just do that!

-Edmund Burke

Forum Member

It might be one of the very few tube amps Acoustic made. Does it bear a superficial resemblance to a Mesa?

I don't know, JAM, it may very well be. I'll have to swing by the shop after the holidays to check it out.

Now that I think about it, it does look kind of like a Mesa. Hmmm...

*Edit* I found a really interesting site (in German) all about the vintage Acoustics: http://acoustic-amps-usa.privat.t-on...543/14651.html

Apparently, Frank Zappa played one

This is becoming real interesting...I have to go by the shop today and see what it REALLY is, from what I remember, it looks like a G100T in vinyl.
    Last edited by NTBluesGuitar; 12-22-2006 at 12:54 PM.

-Edmund Burke

Okay, I stopped by the shop just 15 minutes ago, and the amp in question is the G60 1-12 and they want $175 for it. It's in just as good condition as this pic:

They did have an Acoustic 320 head and cab and they wanted $550 for the head.

So, there it is, mystery solved! Question is, is it worth a tube conversion? Seriously, I'll try it out sometime and see what it sounds like.

-Edmund Burke