I just visited an older thread on string gauge and the effect playing w/ pain vs no pain, relating to string gauge. I am of the belief that many other factors are involved other than just string gauge. Regardless of string gauge, and I hope everyone has found the gauge that is comfortable, the ergonomics of playing, involving awareness, position, tension, strain, etc. are really important factors, as is regular practice, and a well set up instrument. With our Fender guitars, we enjoy some of the most ergonomically designed instruments that have ever been made. We are very lucky. However, it has struck me that much of the discussion on ergonomics and guitar playing come from the acoustic camp, and more so from classical guitar. From time to time I have seen articles on ergonomics, injury prevention and related topics mostly in the acoustic magazines, i.e., ACOUSTIC GUITAR, and some of the classical guitar publications, web sites, etc. Here is an interesting link:

http://www.pasguitar.com/Ergonomics.htm

Just food for thought. I am 56, play out regularily, practice daily and I use 11's on my electric guitars, 13's on my jazz box, w/o any hx of any problems with injuries, strains, etc. I have been lucky as well as have attempted to remain aware of my body movements and positions while playing guitar. I have done some ergonomic consulting in the past and have worked in physicial rehabilitation settings, which I guess has had an impact on my guitar playing. I think as with everything, it starts with awareness. I am a firm believer of the mind/body connection in all aspects of our lives, maybe especially so with the art of making music.

Anyway, I thought it would be interesting to see how other players view and practic ergonomics, the study of people's efficiency in their environments. After all, we all have a very close relationship with our instruments as well as the music that we create with them.

Your thoughts on this topic are appreciated. Thanks

Thomas