Thread: OK What Happened?

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

OK What Happened?

The Stratoclone is getting an attitude. After a week or 2 on new strings, it starts having tuning issues with trem (vintage style) use. It has done this twice now in succession.

No setup changes have been made
    Same string/guages being used
    No dirt obvious in the nut
    (you know I didn;t check the old school round string tree)

The high E and B are worst, going out after a trem use (the only treed strings). (Trem is setup flat against the body). Being that at times it actually goes sharp, is there anything other than the nut and tree I should triple check?

Really I guess it is a rhetorical questions as I'll spend some time re-doing it (start at the bridge to make sure it isn;t binding for some new oddball reason). Was thinking of floating it anyways as I play it more and feel more comfortable about not leaning on the bridge (A habit from being a Gibby player for a while).

Curious, have you had a trem system suddenly go south on you?

Forum Member

Re: OK What Happened?

I would ignore the string tree and look at the nut first and foremost. But its not clear if the bridge is 'locked' or just set flat. So I would also make sure you aren't winding to much string around the tuning posts. On a trem equipped guitar, and perhaps especially if you have it set to only do dive bombs, the strings loosen and 'catch' again if you leave any room for slack around the post.
    Peak District, Derbyshire, England

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Bridge is not blocked, but just rests flat (vs floating). Only 1-2 tight turns on a post. Will check both nut and tree. Its just curious that it only started now vs a year ago when built.

Come to think of it, I said the setup is the same, and the measurements are, but I did put an 1/8 turn on the neck (to bring the relief back to where it was) a while ago.

Quote Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
    Bridge is not blocked, but just rests flat (vs floating).

Ok, some basics:

A working trem setting flat can have trouble returning to pitch. All it takes is a bit of swelling or shrinking of the wood. Things have probably changed a little since it was built. The high E, B, and G are the most susceptible.

Of course, check your nut and tree first. If that doesn't get you anywhere, try floating the bridge just a touch and see what happens. FWIW, I set my Strats up with the standard 1/8" float, and use 4 strings. It's plenty stable to rest your hand on.

Um, that would be '4 springs', not strings....
    Last edited by telecast; 12-04-2006 at 09:04 AM.
    A friend in need is a good reason to screen your calls.