Thread: Heard a Deluxe Reverb w/ Celestion Greenback?

Forum Member

Heard a Deluxe Reverb w/ Celestion Greenback?

Just wondered what this will sound like. I'm having it installed today. I've heard great things and not so great things. Just wondered what people thought.

So subjective ya know?

Forum Member
    Well -- rather than let your post go unanswered, I thought I'd post and say, "Good Luck".

It's a "different" kind sound with a greenback. Most wouldn't like it, but you might be the exception, of course. I just can't think of many great applications for ONE greenback.

On the bright side, a Deluxe Reverb is a great 'lil amp and a keeper for life. I keep a bf & sf model and couldn't imagine being without them at this point.

I use a '60s Alnico EV SRO in one (with a replacement baffle board just to be safe) and a Weber speaker in the other. In mine the greenback sounded harsh and broke up earlier than I ever wanted.

Forum Member
    just my opinion, celestion greenbacks dont work in open or semi open cabs as well as closed cabs.....eminence greenbacks are better in open cabs than celestion,IMO........i dont care for most celestions in open cabs,especially greenbacks and v-30s.....i do love my brownface fender amps thru closed celestion 2x12 and 4x12....jcs

Forum Member

Greenback in a DR...

When I first got my 1968 DR, a friend of mine turned me on to a (read gave me) a Greenback RI, and helped me install it...It is a fabulous speaker for blues tone and works well up to about Vol5...that being said,it was in the amp for about 5 or 6 years until I swapped it out for a JBL K120 after looking forever for a JBL D120F-which I was unable to find as it is the holy grail of DR tone
    Play it Loud,
    GFM

Forum Member
    Thanks guys. I've heard all of the above comments. I'm not really seeking "The Vintage Sound," I'm after my own sound.

I guess I'll have to wait until I listen for myself. I wanted something big and smooth that would sound good with pedals in front. On stage I have never gone past 5. It was very loud with the stock speaker before it died.

We'll see, but I welcome other comments.

Forum Member
    I have a greenback in my BFDR right now and I like the tone. I think I'll be going back to the Jensen though.

Forum Member
    Yo Jimmy,

If "big and smooth" is what you want, then look into a Weber P12N.

Nothing smoother than alnico!