Thread: Fender Vibrolux - acceptable pricing?

Forum Member

Fender Vibrolux - acceptable pricing?

What should one expect to pay for a Blackface Vibrolux Reverb these days? Of course condition plays a part but one w/o any issues and good cosmetic shape (not collectors item).
    How important is the new caps job vs original caps etc as for price? I figure you will need to replace them at some point anyway if you wanna gig with it.

Forum Member

Re: Fender Vibrolux - acceptable pricing?

Forum Member

Yikes! I'm glad I bought my '66 cheap (by today's standards) almost 30 years ago. I love that amp!

Forum Member

I have a chassis waiting for a build, (although I'm building a 6G16). I won't pay for "vintage" stuff, I just build my own! Trouble is I have about 4 chassis waiting for me to build, and find out what they sound like after I finish my wife's Bassman build.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    I have a chassis waiting for a build, (although I'm building a 6G16). I won't pay for "vintage" stuff, I just build my own! Trouble is I have about 4 chassis waiting for me to build, and find out what they sound like after I finish my wife's Bassman build.
    Same here, though not back in 1990.

Forum Member

Back in those days Don, old Fender amps weren't "Vintage"!
    I was looking to pick up another guitar amp for my practice room about that time, and our local store offered me an "old" Blackface Twin for $200. I bought it, and passed it along to a guitar player a few months later. I was playing drums back then, and collecting amps never crossed my mind!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    Back in those days Don, old Fender amps weren't "Vintage"!
    I was looking to pick up another guitar amp for my practice room about that time, and our local store offered me an "old" Blackface Twin for $200. I bought it, and passed it along to a guitar player a few months later. I was playing drums back then, and collecting amps never crossed my mind!
    They were in my neck of the woods by 1990, though prices hadn't gone crazy yet. Getting an old blackface Fender amp was a big deal. I paid top dollar for my amp- $325! My wife thought I was nuts paying that for a 24 year old thing.

I was playing blues (still am) and my 1981 Fender Concert 4-10 (bought used for $300 in 1982) wasn't cutting it- clean channel was too clean, dirty channel was too dirty. I needed some grit so I bought the VR. It worked well, but still needed an OD pedal to get me where I wanted. What I really needed was tweed. It was another 25 years before I figured that out.