Thread: Infamous HOT ROD Deluxe Problems!

Forum Member

Infamous HOT ROD Deluxe Problems!

My First Post:
    I've read through every post I could find on the HRDx with a problem and yes, my problem sounds similar to some others but I figured that I'd ask anyhow: BTW: I know how many people hate this stupid amp, but I really like the way it sounds and want to try and keep it.

The Problem: plays fine for a little while, maybe 15 minutes, then it just lets out a buzz like a freight train horn. This particular noise is not affected by volume controls. If I switch to standby and then back on again it goes away for a little while then comes back again. Tubes have been switched around and around. I know it sounds like a solder joint or even the plate resistor problem but I'm asking anyway.

It's under warranty but has been back for the same problem 4 times (two different techs) and I don't think I'm getting anywhere with them. I even called Fender and they were worthless. The last tech did fix a cold solder joint which helped the situation (does it much less now) but the problem is still there.

I am somewhat handy with electronics so I figured that If I can get some pointers I'd risk the "Super Fantastic Warranty" and actually fix this stupid problem myself. HELP!

Re: Infamous HOT ROD Deluxe Problems!

Is it new enough that you can take it back?
    If you've read ALL of the HRDx threads, you'll know I like mine. But I would try to get another if they can't get your problem fixed.

My only suggestion would be to visually inspect it for dull solder joints yourself. But I wouldn't kill the warranty for it. I'd try to get another one.

Good luck.

And...
    Music will always find its way to us, with or without business, politics, religion, or any other bull$hit attached. - E.C.

Forum Member

Well, I've tried that and since it's a little over a year into it they said no. I really think I can fix it but I just need some more confirmation on the problem.

Clearly, & unfortunately, you have a lemon.

If this will be time #5, insist on a replacement or refund.

It's not just *been* a year, you've been trying to *fix* it for a year.

My two cents.
    Master of Disaster on the Stratocaster

Forum Member

I've done the replacement thing on other items that I've purchased and usually you get some tired old 'refurbished' pile of crap. Lemon's are great for lemonaide but electronics can be fixed. Especially ones that have large components like an amplifier. It's only been broke for a couple of months, It worked great for 10! I've used it at a concert, at church quite often and have cranked it to 8+ on many occasion without a problem (except the complaining neighbors).

I really think warranties are worthless if they don't care to solve the problem (its the Fender way don't you know!). No point in having the amp stay at the shop it's whole life. I just need help with the problem.

You need to tell them this:
    Quote Originally Posted by detuned

It's not just *been* a year, you've been trying to *fix* it for a year.
    And do not settle for this:
    Quote Originally Posted by storgers
    ...usually you get some tired old 'refurbished' pile of crap.
    I'll tell you what's a pile of crap: Not making the company that gave you a warranty stand behind it!

This stuff pisses me off. I probably paid as much for my HRDX as you did a year ago, mine's been problem free so far. Why should your situation be any different? There's only one answer for that:

You got a defective product.

They need to replace it. Don't take no for an answer, and don't accept some piece of "refurbished crap" in exchange. Is that what you looking for in an amp when you purchased?

That's what I'm saying!

Depending on the store, it can be easy or hard to get them to honor the warantee, but unless they're outright criminals (a possibility, I'll grant you...), as long as you are polite but firm, you can & *will* get what you want.

Fender posts their customer service # on their website, if your dealer won't call them, you should.

Sounds like another customer "service" operation that is really designed to confuse and frustrate. They'd love it if you gave up and went away. I think it's a stupid, short-sighted strategy but unfortunately many large corporations these days seem to be going that way.

The boutique builder guys define what customer service should be.

The warranty is a selling point, a feature of the amp. I'm not a lawyer but I would bet that it can be legally enforced since your purchase of the amp created a contract with the manufacturer for the term of the warranty. If the local shop is giving you the hassle go straight to Fender. All the while you can remind these idiots that they've got a lot of competitors and there are other places to buy amps and all the musical gear you'll want for the rest of your life.

Meanwhile, would you rather have me go away or shall I get a lawyer? Pretty please give me a new amp or my money back.
    s'all goof.

...somewhere in the middle of minor pentatonic...

Quote Originally Posted by detuned View Post
    I second (third, fourth, whatever) Shit does happen even with Fenders

My two cents.
    Come now, your opinion must be worth more... mine does...
    ...just keep 'em fingas movin'
    Tapio Valdemar Aalto - from the village of Kovela, Finland

Forum Member

I would love to know what the problem is. Mine just started doing this last night while recording. Please let me know what you find. I am taking mine apart tomorrow night and getting out my multimeter to track it down also.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Come now, your opinion must be worth more... mine does...
    Can't remember who I'm ripping this from (apologies), but...

"My opinion is worth what you paid for it."

:-D

Quote Originally Posted by detuned View Post
    Can't remember who I'm ripping this from (apologies), but...

"My opinion is worth what you paid for it."

:-D
    Frank Thompson.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Quote Originally Posted by thatbobguy8 View Post
    I would love to know what the problem is. Mine just started doing this last night while recording. Please let me know what you find. I am taking mine apart tomorrow night and getting out my multimeter to track it down also.
    Look at the components around V3 (the phase inverter), particularly R57. That little bugger causes a lot of problems when it or the solder goes awry. I had a similar issue and tracked it down to a bad power tube. I had the same issue happen with a preamp tube, too.

Check the solder joints on the tube PCB, too.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n View Post
    Frank Thompson.
    Thanks Kap'n!

And thanks Frank!

Forum Member

I've got a Blues Junior that buzzes after a bass note is played at anything over low volumes. Any advise?

Quote Originally Posted by storgers View Post
    My First Post:
    I've read through every post I could find on the HRDx with a problem and yes, my problem sounds similar to some others but I figured that I'd ask anyhow: BTW: I know how many people hate this stupid amp, but I really like the way it sounds and want to try and keep it.

The Problem: plays fine for a little while, maybe 15 minutes, then it just lets out a buzz like a freight train horn. This particular noise is not affected by volume controls. If I switch to standby and then back on again it goes away for a little while then comes back again. Tubes have been switched around and around. I know it sounds like a solder joint or even the plate resistor problem but I'm asking anyway.

It's under warranty but has been back for the same problem 4 times (two different techs) and I don't think I'm getting anywhere with them. I even called Fender and they were worthless. The last tech did fix a cold solder joint which helped the situation (does it much less now) but the problem is still there.

I am somewhat handy with electronics so I figured that If I can get some pointers I'd risk the "Super Fantastic Warranty" and actually fix this stupid problem myself. HELP!

I had the same experience. Two techs and chronic problems.

They won't let you return it, but you can keep bringing it back for repairs for the next four years. Do that until they fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by General Specific View Post
    I had the same experience. Two techs and chronic problems.

They won't let you return it, but you can keep bringing it back for repairs for the next four years. Do that until they fix it.

What a pain in the ass, get it fixed and off that POS.

Hehe, that's what I'm doing with mine. Put it in the shop yesterday, it should be ready to pick up today. I'm going to plug it in, make sure everything works, and Saturday, it's going to Memphis to be used as a trade in.
    --The music is all around us. I can hear it. Can you?