Thread: I Just Gotta Say......

I Just Gotta Say......

I just love this "GIG" business.
    Yes, there are lots of headaches, pains in the ass, surprise things that happen and then there's the endless cojoling that you have to do to get a decent gig.
    BUT

There's also the good side.
    You see, I get to play with a bunch of guys I really like to play music with. We even hang out together sometimes. Heck the main reason we practice is so we can get together. The music is secondary to me at this point. Yeah, we work on some new stuff at every practice, but we just have a good time centered on music. I was just thinking back to a late-night drive home from a gig last year. It was comfortable temperature-wise and I had the window down and just cruising down the back roads towards home. I had a new Blues CD in the player. One of those collection things with lots of stuff from the old guys in Chicago. I think it was put out by The House Of Blues.
    Anyway, as I'm driving along I started remembering some of the things that happened during the gig. No! Not the girls shimmering on the dance floor trying to get some half-in-the-can farmer boy to buy them a beer nor the the freshly showered farmboys oogling the shimmy boppers on the floor, although there are a few standouts that come to mind. I was recalling the way Chuck smiles at me just before he pulls out an incredible solo. It's the same smile I get when he clamps down on a clam. Watching Johnny B get into a vocal solo to the point he's not worried about his voice, he just lets it wail! And then there's the time he forgot the words while watching a young, attractive couple doing their "sexy-dance" thing. When Greggy does his low-down slight head bop to remind me where the tempo should be or Swanky pulling in a Rev. Gary Davis line in the turn-around. The minutes and songs go past so fast when you're up there on stage. Seems like only a half hour since we started but we're in the middle of the last set already.
    I look out across the field on my left and see a couple deer looking back and I notice some fog is apprearing in the low spots of the road. Five more hours until the dog will wake me up for it's morning leak attack and I still have 40 mins of driving before I get home. It's quiet out here and it will be at home. I'll have a couple cookies and a glass of milk while I wind down. Then I hit the bed and fall asleep wondering what the other guys and fans remember from this night.

Man, we got it good!
    If, at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving.
    Two leaps per chasm is fatal!

Re: I Just Gotta Say......

You said it, Brother.

I was thinking today of all the ways my life is so very.....well......let's just say "different" from normal folks.

I'm 54 years old.
    Never had a career.
    Just showed up at whatever day job I had to endure to support my habit of being a musician.

I was in the army for roughly 8 years.
    I worked at an auto salvage yard for about 6 years.
    I was a mailman for 10 years.
    I was a security guard for 14 months.
    I was a voucher examiner for 18 months.
    I was a copier technician for 3 months.
    I was a director of financial aid at a college.
    I was an Orkin man for one night.
    I've delivered furniture and appliances.
    I worked at a copper foundry for 3 nights.
    I worked at a hospital.
    I've worked as a carpenter's helper.
    I've owned my own business as a fleet vehicle service contractor.

The only constant has been...........
    I'm a musician. Not a great one by anyone's definition, and, depending on who's doin' the grading, maybe not even a good one. In fact, I've been told by more than one person that I really suck at it.

I wouldn't trade it for all the gold in China or the tea at Ft Knox.
    If you leave the house, you're just asking for it.

sounds a bit like my 'career' up to date with a few more tagged on.

Oh well.

I remember when my wee girl was very little her teacher asked the class what did their parents do. Lil says ' My Dad plays the guitar & sings.' Teacher says ' That must be an interesting job', Lil says ' Oh no, that's not his job...he has a regular job. But that's what he does'.
    From the mouthes of babes.
    I met a Devil Woman, she took my heart away
    She said I had it comin', But I wanted it that way

Moonie,

How did you do all that without leaving the house?
    And I've heard your stuff on your web site. I dig you music.
    Music will always find its way to us, with or without business, politics, religion, or any other bull$hit attached. - E.C.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I just love this "GIG" business.
    Yes, there are lots of headaches, pains in the ass, surprise things that happen and then there's the endless cojoling that you have to do to get a decent gig.
    BUT

There's also the good side.
    You see, I get to play with a bunch of guys I really like to play music with. We even hang out together sometimes. Heck the main reason we practice is so we can get together. The music is secondary to me at this point. Yeah, we work on some new stuff at every practice, but we just have a good time centered on music. I was just thinking back to a late-night drive home from a gig last year. It was comfortable temperature-wise and I had the window down and just cruising down the back roads towards home. I had a new Blues CD in the player. One of those collection things with lots of stuff from the old guys in Chicago. I think it was put out by The House Of Blues.
    Anyway, as I'm driving along I started remembering some of the things that happened during the gig. No! Not the girls shimmering on the dance floor trying to get some half-in-the-can farmer boy to buy them a beer nor the the freshly showered farmboys oogling the shimmy boppers on the floor, although there are a few standouts that come to mind. I was recalling the way Chuck smiles at me just before he pulls out an incredible solo. It's the same smile I get when he clamps down on a clam. Watching Johnny B get into a vocal solo to the point he's not worried about his voice, he just lets it wail! And then there's the time he forgot the words while watching a young, attractive couple doing their "sexy-dance" thing. When Greggy does his low-down slight head bop to remind me where the tempo should be or Swanky pulling in a Rev. Gary Davis line in the turn-around. The minutes and songs go past so fast when you're up there on stage. Seems like only a half hour since we started but we're in the middle of the last set already.
    I look out across the field on my left and see a couple deer looking back and I notice some fog is apprearing in the low spots of the road. Five more hours until the dog will wake me up for it's morning leak attack and I still have 40 mins of driving before I get home. It's quiet out here and it will be at home. I'll have a couple cookies and a glass of milk while I wind down. Then I hit the bed and fall asleep wondering what the other guys and fans remember from this night.

Man, we got it good!

I know exactly what you mean... the right 4 (or5) guys come together and magic happens.

I was packing up last week to go to practice, and was bitchin about how heavy my amp was, all the guitars that I had to pack up, all the cables, and its an hour drive!

Then it hit me..

I'M IN A BAND!

Not many people can say that... I then smacked myself and realized how lucky I was.. It can all be taken away by a broken finger, broke down car, or even our bass player having to work extra hours.
    "Fool me once, shame on..... shame on me... fool me twice... shame on ... shame on... IF YOU GET FOOLED ONCE YOU CAN'T GET FOOLED AGAIN".-Our Good bud George W.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    You see, I get to play with a bunch of guys I really like to play music with. We even hang out together sometimes. Heck the main reason we practice is so we can get together.
    That right there is all you need. The rest is icing. If you have that, you have it all.

I'm fortunate to be in almost the same boat. The only thing that stops us from seeing each other more is geographic location. We're spread out almost 2 hours from each other at the extreme.
    A friend in need is a good reason to screen your calls.

I've been in a few bands where all I saw was the other side of it. Dealing with four different personalities and all the problems that come along with it.

On the other hand. I have a bunch of friends where we all get along like that and jam frequently. We just don't play out. I'm still working on them.

I'd say you're probably lucky.
    Music will always find its way to us, with or without business, politics, religion, or any other bull$hit attached. - E.C.

Being in a gigging local band with close, steadfast friends was possibly the best experience of my life. Then again, your life is not mine, so who knows?

One thing I do know: The bands I'm in now feel like work.
    "Wait, it's a trap. Get an axe."

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar_Mc View Post
    Moonie,

How did you do all that without leaving the house?
    And I've heard your stuff on your web site. I dig you music.
    Thanks man

All that other stuff was in my more adventuresome days
    If you leave the house, you're just asking for it.