Thread: First Telecaster and non-Telecaster tenor ukulele

First Telecaster and non-Telecaster tenor ukulele

While I started on guitar, I became desired as a bass player. Other than basses, my first Fender was a Jazzmaster, then a Strat.

As I played more instrumental surf, I began realizing how much it owes country picking. I picked up a custom-made Fanner tenor ukulele (Brian calls it a Pixelator) with a Tele design. Loved it so much, I sprung for my first Telecaster. I changed the factory pickguard for a black abalone one, just because. Boy howdy, this is a fun guitar which forces me to play a different style to get it to sing... but it does sing. MIM Vintera '50s Telecaster Modified in Daphne Blue. Five way pickup switch, S1 button, Twisted Tele pickups, thicker (than my Strat) soft V neck.

Here they are:

Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Re: First Telecaster and non-Telecaster tenor ukulele

I like the look of the Pixelator! Is it made with reclaimed wood?
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Forum Member

I don't know why I thought that a ukulele couldn't be a solid body, that's cute! Pretty Tele too!
    A few years back our only grandson came to visit, and brought his ukulele, (it had an internal pickup), I was amazed at the stuff you can do with them! I had plenty of tube amps at the house, but he picked up an old Dean Markley SS amp I had, and with the overdrive switched in he got some wild sounds! When we sent him home, I paid the extra baggage fee and sent him home with that little amp.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    I don't know why I thought that a ukulele couldn't be a solid body, that's cute! Pretty Tele too!
    A few years back our only grandson came to visit, and brought his ukulele, (it had an internal pickup), I was amazed at the stuff you can do with them! I had plenty of tube amps at the house, but he picked up an old Dean Markley SS amp I had, and with the overdrive switched in he got some wild sounds! When we sent him home, I paid the extra baggage fee and sent him home with that little amp.

Last night at the open mic gig, a woman played a resonator ukulele. Sounded great!

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
    I like the look of the Pixelator! Is it made with reclaimed wood?
    Yes.

When the Fanner brothers purchased a farm north of Cape Town, it had more than one old barns on the property. The barns were too old and shaky to use as factory buildings and warehouses, so they tore them down, saving the wood to plane down for veneers for their "shabby chic" style guitars and ukuleles.

With the prices of shipping from South Africa to Europe and the Americas. added to various customs costs, they found it too expensive to ship guitars but ukuleles were more resonable for both the expenses, and they focus on a larger, more profitable uke market/ They make much of each instrument... bodies, necks, pickups, pickguards, bridges, etc. Switches and jacks are among the few things they do not machine in their own shops.

The Pixelator uke plays like a demon... as exciting and fun as the Tele. (I use the same strings sets on both.)
    Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don't. -- Pete Seeger