Thread: Pawn Shop find-E Series Squier-Good Deal?

Forum Member

Pawn Shop find-E Series Squier-Good Deal?

Hi all! Long time lurker here....

I found an E series Squier strat in good shape. It plays and sounds good. It is priced at $169.00. Is that a good price for one or can they be had for less? I have started to read about them here.

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Johnny

Duluth, MN. Birthplace of Bobby Zimmerman

Re: Pawn Shop find-E Series Squier-Good Deal?

The Made In Japan E series Squiers are pretty good guitars. If this is a MIJ, I'd say $169 is a great bargain. They'd probably sell in the $250 to $400 range normally.
    "If you're cool, you don't know nothin' about it. It just is...or you ain't." - Keith Richards

Forum Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. The vintage style headstock has Squier by Fender and Made in USA.

What does that mean?

Johnny

Is the Serial number E9xxxx? For a period around 1989-90 Squiers were made in the USA. They were being made at the Mexico factory but there was a problem (I believe it was a fire) so the production of Squiers was moved to the Corona factory. They had the less expensive Squier electronics but since they were assembled in Corona they were given the made in USA decal.

I recently sold this one.

VM

If aliens listened to our current top 40, they'd think that the entire planet was populated by sexually ambivalent robots with ethnic insecurity.

Go for it!
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Forum Member

By Fripperton:
    "Is the Serial number E9xxxx? For a period around 1989-90 Squiers were made in the USA. They were being made at the Mexico factory but there was a problem (I believe it was a fire) so the production of Squiers was moved to the Corona factory. They had the less expensive Squier electronics but since they were assembled in Corona they were given the made in USA decal."

Yes-the serial number is close and the decals look like the one you posted. How good are these Squiers?

I'm probably more interested in a Tele at this time but I don't like to pass on a good deal!

Thanks,

Johnny

They're decent guitars and the $169 is a good price. I sold the one in the pics on eBay for more than that so pick it up, auction it off and have a few extra bucks towards a Tele..
    VM

If aliens listened to our current top 40, they'd think that the entire planet was populated by sexually ambivalent robots with ethnic insecurity.

They are OK and a piece of history, mine had a neck pocket like a welly top though.

Forum Member

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I'm going to check and see if it is still there. I felt good about waiting on this one because it is in back stock and not on the floor!

Take Care,

Johnny

Forum Member

I got one of those USA Squires. Mine is made in '89. I bought it new back then because I was concerned about playing my '74 Fender Stratocaster.

Well sometime later, someone stole all of my guitars but left the Squire. I still have it today. Just one of my many Stratocasters, and the only that is a Squire.

All I can say is that it plays good after setting it up. It came with pretty high action from the factory.

Forum Member

Looks like your Squire was made 812 guitars later by the serial number.

Forum Member

I also purchased one of these "Made In USA" Squier by Fender guitars today. Original owner never learned how to play guitar, so it sat unused for the last 15 years or so.

This one surprised me by having a 21-fret maple slab board...no skunk stripe on the back...no truss rod adjustment on the headstock. Truss rod adjustment is on the butt end of the neck in old school Fender style. Tiny vintage frets nicely installed. The neck has a small mid '60s C-shape feel about it.

It appears these Squier guitars made in the USA were all over the place in terms of what you might find. All things considered, I'd say this particular guitar feels like a Japanese-built neck with crummy tuners installed on a typical Mexican-made Fender Strat. It is largely the same hardware and body I found on my MIM Fender Roland Ready Strat (before I gutted the Roland Components and installed them in a GREAT ESP 400 Series Strat).

The pickups and hardware are low quality junk. The body isn't too bad...I expect it is poplar (rather than basswood)...not as softly rounded as a vintage style Strat. The body is more sharply cut like the Japanese "Contemporary Stratocasters" that I've seen.

On the whole, the Japanese-built Squiers of the early '80s are a simply better guitar than this, but this neck is pretty cool. I might bag the rest of the guitar and order a nice alder body from USA Custom and use up some great Strat parts I have hidden in drawers around my house.

Nothing is more fun than witnessing the look of horror on the faces of guitar gear snobs and vintage collector-types when I break out a seemingly stock Squier by Fender and tear it up...AND pointing out that my Squier guitar is as "American" as their Harley-Davidson and their Les Paul Heritage Reissue can only add to the fun factor! :)

Forum Member

Sounds like a deal....and for the 170$. Keep it around.

You never know what band is going to play one and drive the prices through the roof.