Thread: Best five string bass set for a five string Jazz bass?

Forum Member

Best five string bass set for a five string Jazz bass?

My MIM five string Jazz Bass had a low B string that was very muddy so I went out and bought a new set of strings (don't remember the brand) and now the low B sounds much better - it's in much better balance in volume and tone with the other four strings, especially up higher on the neck.

I just got a used '99 MIA Jazz Bass five string, and the low B is really muddy. I don't know what strings are on it now but all the ball ends are different colors, so maybe that identifies it? Could this be the set that came with the bass?

Anyway, what's a good five string set for five string Fender Jazz Basses that will make the low B sound much more in balance with the rest of the strings?

Thanks!

Jesse

Re: Best five string bass set for a five string Jazz bass?

Hi, the strings with the different colored ballends are most likely D'addario's An OK string. I found MY Fender JAzz sounded best with an ELIXIR nanoweb set of 5's on it! I know they're expensive BUT the coationg on 'em does make 'em last 3/4/5 times longer than normal strings. Other coated strings maybe OK also.
    My next fave was Earnie ball 50-130's - these r uncoated But I liked 'em. U can look for Elixirs on EBAY too -I've found some for about 1/2 the price of shops.
    Rod.

I've tried em all and I prefer the Ernie Ball strings - I like "bright", and man they are the best for that........

I kinda like the D'addario Slowwound...I should say liked, since thgey don't make them anymore. They say the XL is the same, but I don't think so.
    Smith makes good strings, had a set that lasted for ages...
    I prefer the sound of older strings on bass...

Forum Member

I recommend Thomastik Infeld Rounds IN 345 .
    Last edited by Spino; 02-15-2023 at 04:40 AM. Reason: wrong