Thread: overdrive level

Forum Member

overdrive level

I'm wondering if you can damage your amp by running it at a higher volume to get the tone you want, while settting the level on your overdrive lower to keep the overall volume managable (ie for playing small pubs). Bad idea? Good idea? Meatloaf recipes?

I don't do it that way, but I don't see how it could hurt your amp. I'm curious, what is your set up?

That's interesting. I've never tried it that way.
    I don't think it could possible hurt anything.

Forum Member

od levels

I have a Fender Strat w/Lace Sensors into a Crybaby into a Route 66 Overdrive into a Univibe w/expression pedal. My amp is a '68 Super Reverb. I always find the recommended setting for the overdrive level are way too high for the volume of the amp to match the sound of the pedal when it's engaged. i.e. running the level at 2 o'clock and the amp at 3, the pedal volume wont match the amp when it's running clean. It's quite a bit louder.

Thanks for responding boys. I was getting nervous.

Remember, those recommended settings are only a place to get you in the ballpark. Not once have I ever used the recommended settings and been happy. Since everyone's rig and ears are different, not to mention their taste in sound, play with those knobs like they belong to your ex girlfriend's sister!!!!