Thread: Squier Pro Tone

Forum Member

Squier Pro Tone

Hey all. Just wanted to show off a pic of my new one.
    This is a Squire Pro Tone from '97.
    I recently just discovered these. Evidently Squier put out a seriously nice Strat for a few years. I've played quite a few expensive Strats lately, but none had that right feel for me. I played this one and had to buy it. It's brighter than my MIM and sounds great. A pro set-up was done too. Let me know what you think.

Re: Squier Pro Tone

Quote Originally Posted by Alexf View Post
    Hey all. Just wanted to show off a pic of my new one. This is a Squire Pro Tone from '97. I recently just discovered these. Evidently Squier put out a seriously nice Strat for a few years. I've played quite a few expensive Strats lately, but none had that right feel for me. I played this one and had to buy it. It's brighter than my MIM and sounds great. A pro set-up was done too. Let me know what you think.
    Yep, the ProTone series was certainly a high point for Squier. They were built in Korea using American parts and for a few years gave Fender a run for its money for build/quality in that price range (I've heard this is one reason they are no longer around - Fender didn't like the competition!)

I've actually owned 3 ProTones over the years. 2 of the green Strats (they were called blue but the finish was really a transparent green) and a red Tele Thinline (see pic below). I had upgraded the PUPs in them to Fender's Vintage Noiseless (I just can't stant the 60-cycle hum of single coils). Otherwise, they were great for the money. Looks like you got a nice one... congrats!

MMCQUAIN * Rock, Blues, Christian player * mmcquain@mcquain.com
    Gibson Les Paul Studio 60's Tribute, Breedlove Acoustic/Electric
    Egnater, Dean Markley, D'Addario, various effect pedals
    http://www.youtube.com/mmcquain * http://www.facebook.com/mmcquain

I had a blonde Pro-Tone Strat. i paid $150 for it used.
    It came with 500k pots and alnico single coil pickups. I put 250k pickups in it and the tone improved a lot.

I ended up selling it because the neck was to thin for me.

Hi, I'm new here. I own a few strats. I also own a Squier Pro Tone like Alex's. In some ways, I think it feels better than my MIA's. Definitely the high water mark for Squier guitars.

I had a '97 Squier Pro-Tone Strat in a semi-transparent blonde color with a maple fretboard.

The neck was VERY skiny and it came stock with 500k pots making it very bright!

It sounded great but I couldn't get past the skiny neck.

A lot of people don't like the neck width. I don't have a problem with it. The pickups can be over powering, I have dropped them down but they still blast me out.
    If I stopped buying Strats, I would probably get better at playing them.

Nice guitar!
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

I replied to this post twice, 4 months apart, repeating myself without realizing it!

The pickups on mine were very low powered and sparkly, a little thin sounding, actually.

Forum Member

Yep, definitely a skinny neck. It feels just right to me.

The pickups put out some sound. I like them so much I found a set and put them into my MIM Strat. I think Alnico 5, but not positive. Now both Strats have some bark.

Acidhouse - Nice axe.

Don - Keep on posting !

Alex