Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: How old are u when u get your first Fender?

Re: How old are u when u get your first Fender?

"ye shall be visited by spirits three, one being a necro-thread from 2002"

mine was a brand new '74 tobacco sunburst Stratocaster with a maple neck, I was 16 years old and had been playing a couple years. I was so proud of that shiny hunk o'shite that I turned down a trade for a battered old Fender Telecaster with no name on the headstock and yes, I knew it was a Nocaster. At the time it was just an old guitar.

The sales guy must have seen me coming a mile away and sold me that turd to get it out of his store. The frets were so gooped with poly that it was like trying to play on flypaper. I thought the awful tone was due to my abysmal playing skills. When I sold that guitar to pay medical bills in 1978 the buyer had to get a new neck and 2 new pickups to make it playable. I was like "You can do that?". Seriously, I didn't know you could change parts or even buy them separately.

so yeah, I don't buy into the cache of '70s Fenders worth a sou. Thanks to that piece of crap I stayed away from maple fingerboards for more than 30 years.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

My first Fender bass was a righty 70s Telecaster bass. Sounded great, but as a lefty, I had a hell of a time with the cutaway and the controls.

My first Fender guitar was an early 90s MIJ 68 reissue Strat. Beautiful guitar, but when you played one note on certain parts of the neck, two or more dissonant notes sounded. After carrying it to a couple of luthiers, I knew it was either a new neck or a flip. I traded it for a MIJ 62 reissue Tele. Great guitar but not quite the Tele sound I was going for.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by BAT340 View Post
    14, In 1978, It was a '72. Black, maple neck. Traded it in for a Flying V in 1980. It wasn't a great guitar. But I wish I still had it. The V is long gone as well. Currently own 6 strats. 4 Custom shops, 1 25th Anniversary, and an '83 two knobber. And I'm building a Blonde, tortoiseshell pickguard Strat now.
    Welcome to the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Hornchurch View Post
    "Re: How old are u when u get your first Fender?" My life tale isn't too dissimilar to yours....

Got my very first Fender, a brand-new l/h CBS-Era 1977 Ash-bodied 'Blonde' (Olympic White), on 4th Nov' 1978 at age 17

(...)

Hey, mate! Good to see you back here!

As for me, I bought a strat shaped object back when I was 16 but it was no Fender. Played acoustics and Gibson-like guitars until 2014, when I first bought myself a real Fender strat, US made.

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

Hey, mate! Good to see you back here!

As for me, I bought a strat shaped object back when I was 16 but it was no Fender.

Played acoustics and Gibson-like guitars until 2014, when I first bought myself a real Fender Strat, US made.
    '

Many thanks for the welcome back Serge', it's much appreciated mate !!!!!

Don't post much thesedays, BUT, I do still read the board & with much interest - ( hence my passion, bottom of Page.5 )

Am still surprised (& pleased), that there ARE a few other 'Southpaw-Lefties' on the board, such as mah good self

Incidentally, my very FIRST Electric-Guitar (NOT FENDER), was a nice-looking, but lousy-playing 'K' as in Korean 'Kay' 1975 job.

Having read your last post, ya got me curious to know now - What type (Body, Neck, Colour Model etc) Strat "Did you buy" then, in 2014 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Hornchurch View Post
    '

Many thanks for the welcome back Serge', it's much appreciated mate !!!!!

Don't post much thesedays, BUT, I do still read the board & with much interest - ( hence my passion, bottom of Page.5 )

Am still surprised (& pleased), that there ARE a few other 'Southpaw-Lefties' on the board, such as mah good self

Incidentally, my very FIRST Electric-Guitar (NOT FENDER), was a nice-looking, but lousy-playing 'K' as in Korean 'Kay' 1975 job.

Having read your last post, ya got me curious to know now - What type (Body, Neck, Colour Model etc) Strat "Did you buy" then, in 2014 ?

Her name is Jessica. Late American Standard model, came with the "custom shop" fat 50s. Bought her new and have been gigging with it ever since... Great strat, covers a lot of ground with its "modern classic" specs and electronics...

Hee, hee, hee! I didn't get my first Fender until I was 65! For the past 40 years or so, I made do with a Framus 12-string I bought new in 1971, and a 1957 Gibson ES-225 I got in a trade for some stereo equipment in the early 1980s.

Then, I went on a guitar acquisition spree starting in 2016. I now own seven Fender guitars: Four Strats and three Teles!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Hee, hee, hee! I didn't get my first Fender until I was 65! For the past 40 years or so, I made do with a Framus 12-string I bought new in 1971, and a 1957 Gibson ES-225 I got in a trade for some stereo equipment in the early 1980s.

Then, I went on a guitar acquisition spree starting in 2016. I now own seven Fender guitars: Four Strats and three Teles!

Yeah, I was a late bloomer myself too. Only got my first real Fender when I was well past 35.

The strat copy I got back when I was a teenager was a real cheapo piece of whatever wood they had, with bolts and plastics on and some junk for electronics, but I loved it. It was sparkling gold like Dick Dale's strat and had a dark, Rosewood-like fretboard.

Forum Member

I was 26 in 1986. Bought a '57 and '62 reissue Stratocaster. This is the '62.

[QUOTE=candy86;639602]I was 26 in 1986. Bought a '57 and '62 reissue Stratocaster. This is the '62.

That's a beautiful guitar. Do you still own it?
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

[QUOTE=ch willie;639603]
    Quote Originally Posted by candy86 View Post
    I was 26 in 1986. Bought a '57 and '62 reissue Stratocaster. This is the '62.

That's a beautiful guitar. Do you still own it?
    Thank You. Yes I do. I just took that pic. I still have the black '57 also.
    Very nice guitars. I played a lot of gigs with them in the late 80's early 90's.

My first Fender? I was 17 and it was on a 1967 Mustang. Man, I loved that car!
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

21. Always a Gibson guy but traded a much modified 69 LP Custom on a '63 Strat. Sold it a few years later for a wedding ring. Much later I bought a custom shop relic that looked EXACTLY the same. Wish I had the original, but this will have to do.

First Fender amp at 38. A Mustang II V1 1x12" 40W

That's it so far. I've had it for about 2 weeks now.

Quote Originally Posted by WoundUp View Post
    First Fender amp at 38. A Mustang II V1 1x12" 40W

That's it so far. I've had it for about 2 weeks now.
    hah, didn't think to include amps. I had my Princeton Reverb for a good while before that '74 strat so now I can say for sure it was at the latest a '73 maybe even a '72 Princeton Reverb that I bought new. I kept that amp until '06.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

My first Fender I got as an almost-new, but on the used rack MIM Tele. I got it in late-1998, I think.
    I hadn't been a Tele fan up till then, but this one played so good, and had great "body tone" - what I call playing unplugged.
    Black with maple neck, it had been updated with a black MOP pickguard.
    Grabbed it (this was when they were $300 new, used like $229, I worked there so I got it for maybe $175 or so.)
    Changed out the stock pickups to Custom Shop Texas Special Teles.
    Made a big difference.
    Last year I finally got around to doing the rest of the electronics with a 4-way switch and new pots etc. Man, talk about a night and day difference.
    My strat I got in 2001, it's a 2000, the last of the older American Standard, before they switched to American Series.
    Also black, with rosewood. That one is stock except for strings.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Don't remember exactly. With the help of my parents, bought a Mustang from Mel Bay. Maybe I was 14 or 15 at the time. That would make it 53 or 52 years ago.

Forum Member

Folks bought me a brand new 1969 Coronado II sunburst and a 1969 Bassman with 2x15" cab.
    I was 18 yrs old.

My first piece of Fender gear was a 1979 Vibro Champ bought at Roy & Candy's Music in Tulsa, OK. I still have it but it now resides in a 2 x 10" cabinet I built a while back.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

A dimed Vibro Champ through a couple of large speakers (12's or 15's) sounds positively monstrous!

Same with a Princeton......

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

I was 18.
    A brand new 1972 Fender Telecaster Thinline, natural finish,with Wide Range Humbuckers. Never really bonded with it.

The neck was too skinny. The frets were too short. And it would take another 20 years for me to begin to understand the glory of the CuNiFe Wide Range Humbucker.

If any of you are familiar with "Telenator" pickups, that's me.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

I just looked up the telenator pickups. Looks like they shut down the business about 6 years ago because the magnets were getting too expensive and hard to find.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
    I just looked up the telenator pickups. Looks like they shut down the business about 6 years ago because the magnets were getting too expensive and hard to find.
    I actually shut it down because we couldn't get enough CuNiFe to make it worthwhile.
    If CuNiFe was more readily available, we could have brought the price way down.
    I was also experiencing some medical issues that put a final end to the business.

For 10 years though, we were the only company in the world where you could get a true vintage replica of the 70's WRHB, and it was a blast to meet so many cool people and players through the business.
    Made a few enemies too. Fools and doubters and people who were totally incensed by the fact that "we did it!" The haters are everywhere. LOL!

One of the coolest projects of my entire life. Even though it really didn't amount to much more than beer money in the end. Proud of it though.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

I was 13 when I bought my first Fender, a new '65 sunburst Stratocaster (though my dad had given me a Fender Princeton to go with my Japanese 'Lindell' a few months before). I still have and play it, though the paint and plastic are no longer original (it's the LPB in my profile pic).

All dressed up for 8th Grade graduation -- with my brand new 'date'!

Forum Member

59. I used my friends 69 strat, and had several other brands. Still playing it today.

Howdy all
    In 2013, I was 17 when I bought my first Fender, a baja telecaster. Closely followed the same year by my very first bass, a cabronita precision. Two magnificent instruments that have greatly contributed to my progress.

Today I am the proud owner of 3 Fender Stratocaster Custom Shop , two 60 RI Relics and one Custom Classic. One Fender Jazz Bass V American Deluxe and one Fender Kingman Bass acoustic.

Thank you all and ROCK ON
    Clément

Last edited by Clément; 07-13-2023 at 12:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clément View Post
    Howdy all
    In 2013, I was 17 when I bought my first Fender, a baja telecaster. Closely followed the same year by my very first bass, a cabronita precision. Two magnificent instruments that have greatly contributed to my progress.

Today I am the proud owner of 3 Fender Stratocaster Custom Shop , two 60 RI Relics and one Custom Classic. One Fender Jazz Bass V American Deluxe and one Fender Kingman Bass acoustic.

Thank you all and ROCK ON
    Clément

welcome!

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Wow I don’t believe I ever posted to this thread. My 1st Fender was a 69 Tele. Got it used at age 18 in early 1983. Had previous bite marks from a Bigsby. Loved that guitar though it’s long gone.
    Mark

I was 14. paid $275 for a 1972 Strat, in 1974. was my only guitar for 20 years. 3 years ago I surprised my daughter, giving it to her as a gift.
    "Early morning sunshine tells me all I need to know"