Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How old are u when u get your first Fender?

Forum Member

How old are u when u get your first Fender?

ditto

Forum Member
    i ask because..well i'm still waiting for my 1st, and i'm 23 this year and just got my first strat replica this summer!! guys, any late-bloomers here?? so i don't feel so alone in the stratosphere, GASed..

Got my first Fender amp in 1966 I was 16 yrs old a 65 BF Super Reverb for $180

Got my first Fender Tele new in 1972 was 22 years old. Saw an ad in the paper in San Francisco 1972 Blonde Tele with hardshell case new $200. I was living in Visalia California so I got on the bus took a trip to San Francisco and got one. It was Don Weir's Music and they had about 25-35 of them to choose from.

It was a really nice Tele too. I sold it a year or 2 later and got a nice acoustic guitar to play James Taylor songs on.
    Last edited by Marcondo; 07-27-2002 at 04:07 PM.

I got my 80s MIJ 62RI Strat when I was 20. I almost traded it for a Hamer Steve Stevens guitar three years later. I would SO be kicking myself if I didn't come to my senses!

I got my first strat when I was 14 or 15, an American Standard. I'm 18 now and I'm on my third strat.
    "Insurance is like marriage, you pay and pay but you never get anything back" - Al bundy.

Forum Member
    Standin' at the crossroads, shoutin' at the devil.
    I was twelve. The strat was a bump up from teh Samick. Great guitar, I still have it and play it daily.

I got my first Tele when I was 23......... that was 36 years ago!

God only knows how many tele's and strat's and 'other' brands since!

Hammer on.....Blair

Forum Member
    I got my first Strat when I was 19, a brand new 1982 with a maple neck and ash body finished natural. I still have it.

Last edited by tsutpen; 07-27-2002 at 04:58 PM.

Forum Member
    Got my first electric, a Strat Plus, when I was 17. It's still my #1. The one on the left. Lucked out pretty fair as the woods add up to super good mojo. Just got my second Fender, a Cunnetto 60's Relic Strat.

:bigal :bigal Two hot peppers so far!
    Last edited by StratPlus; 07-28-2002 at 02:57 PM.

Forum Member
    I was 36 when I got my first Fender... an American Standard Strat. Didn't start playin' till I was 34. Sure wish I would've started sooner.

Forum Member
    I got my strat last year at age 14.

Forum Member
    I got my first Strat when I was 19. It was a 1973, maple neck with a natural body, brand new. Only kept it about 6-8 months!!! It was my first real serious guitar after owning a used Harmony Vibra Jet, that my parents bought me, and a Univox copy of a Les Paul Custom that I bought new. As a matter of fact, my first Fender was actually in 1964, which was a used 1961 tweed Champ that my parents bought for me in a package deal with the Harmony Vibra Jet. I still have the Champ!!
    Last edited by MK.II; 07-27-2002 at 06:12 PM.

Forum Member

"My first fender (but not my last)"

I was 16, trying to pull out of a tight parking space in my brother's car; nailed the front left of that Caddy, but good! Cost me a bundle. :rolleyes:

Sorry...misunderstood the question.

My answer is; late in life...but it was a very easy delivery. ;)
    Last edited by Preztone; 07-27-2002 at 06:27 PM.

Forum Member
    I was a lucky kid. When I was 14 in 1982 my parents(whom I'm forever thankful for) bought me my first electric, a Fender Bullet Deluxe and a Peavy Decade amp with the saturation input. Very cool for my first rig, wish I still had it , but the GAS bug bit me real early on. QTB

I was 13 when I got my first fender standard strat it was a beautiful white with a rosewood fretboard I'll never forget her

stxrus
    way back in 1969 i bought 2 "old" guitars because i could not afford new ones. a '60 LP GT and a '59 strat. in '70 i got rid of the "old" guitars to but NEW & SHINEY ones. replaced the LP with a '70 deluxe and the strat with a new model.
    both axes (new) played great and i was very happy with the trades/sales.
    a few years later i discoverd what a dufus i was and to this day regret the move. but i like to think (for my sanity at least) that i was dumb & stupid. but to my downfall, i am drawn to a NEW & SHINEY guitar over a "distressed/antiqued/aged" one.
    i would rather put the "vintage" on my new guitar than pay someone to do it for me.
    my oldest guitar at he moment is a 28 year old yammy accoustic that is basically worn out but gets played more that my others.

anyway that is my story and i am sticking to it.
    :stxrus
    peae
    steve
    Last edited by stxrus; 07-27-2002 at 08:37 PM.

I was 20 ('87) when I got my 1st, a Japan Strat with the System I locking trem. That sucker stayed in tune at least as good as a Floyd, without some of the Floyd hassles. Played great too- very well made. But in '92 I traded it in on an Am. Std. Strat- that guitar smoked too.

I got a part time job at 16, and put away as much money as I could for about a year. At 17, I bought a brand new '74 hardtail, natural ash w/maple neck. Sold it about 2 years later.

My first strat was a '74-ish hard tail, natural ash/maple bought used in the fall of '78 when I was not quite 18. I think it was my fourth guitar, after my ES320, Ovation Deacon solidbody (?!?), and a Travis Bean Standard (I still had a lot to learn about guitar selection). All purchased with lawn mowing/part time job money. I still have all of them (I can't seem to part with guitars, even the crappy ones).

In the intervening 24 years it's had about 10 different sets of pickups (I seem to have settled on an EMG SA set up), a refret and various bridge and nut changes. I've now almost warmed up to it.;)
    5E3 Deluxe, '74 hardtail, Strat XII, many copies.

I bought my first Fender, a Strat Plus, when I graduated HS in the early 90's. Still have that guitar. Of course, the whole thing has almost been replaced piece by piece......
    This has been a famous mortimer production

Forum Member
    i got my first guitar right before my birthday at age 14.

1977, was like 13, got a Fender acoustic. A few years later got my first electric - tele style Fender bullet =)

Forum Member
    I got a second-hand Strat in '79 — my first one. I was 12. It was a '77 with a maple fingerboard, natural finish, and a white 'guard. From that moment on, I was hooked on Strats. I absolutely loved the 5-way selector, and all of the tonal possiblities; especially the neck and in-between positions.

Wish I still had that one, at least for sentimental reasons.
    Last edited by SlabBoard; 07-28-2002 at 02:18 PM.

I think I was about 19 or 20 when I got my first Fender, a mid-80s 1957 reissue that looks like Clapton's "Blackie". I still have it, but the frets are just wiped out. I played that guitar so much in the mid-80s that there are grooves in them!

One of these days, I'll get it refretted and put back into action. It was (and assume is) a great guitar!

Ed
    Last edited by Ed Driscoll; 07-28-2002 at 02:21 PM.

Forum Member

"Damn, Ed's old!"

Ed D,

That's cool that you kept it! Should make it a priority to have it refretted. Be like getting a new guitar! :)

Re: "Damn, Ed's old!"

Originally posted by Preztone
    Ed D,

That's cool that you kept it! Should make it a priority to have it refretted. Be like getting a new guitar! :)
    It's on the to do list for the near future. I also want to get the tremolo bridge set-up again to allow me to do at least a little wammy-bar work, without hopefully knocking it too far out of tune.

There was an early episode of Mary Tyler Moore when Lou Grant thought he'd be laid off from the TV station at age 45, and had a tough time lining up another TV job. "In politics, they'd call me the kid", I remember him saying. At 36, I guess I'm an old-timer when it comes to music!

Ed

Forum Member
    Got my first at 16 in 1976. It was a refinished 65 Jaguar. Ugly as hell, but it played like butter.
    I used that guitar well into the 80's, mostly because i couldn't afford anything else.

I wanted a Strat, but my dad wasn't too interested in spending a lot of money on what he thought (hoped?) would be a passing phase. Had to change out the bridge pickup for something beefier.

Here's a pic of me playing it at a gig circa 1984:

Forum Member
    I was 14, and wanted to be Eric Clapton :) So I saved all my money up and bought a rejected Midnight Wine American Standard Stratocaster that had been sitting around in a local guitar shop for a year as it was the cheapest one I could afford (after painfully wading through the Custom Shops, the Ultras and so forth. Since then she's gone through a lot of crap, and several changes of appearance but she is still, to this day, my number 1
    '93 American Standard Stratocaster | Midnight Wine | Alder/maple/maple | Under construction
    '95 '62 Reissue Jazzmaster (MiJ) | Vintage FotoFlame | Basswood/maple/rosewood | Seymour Duncan JB Jr. (bridge) | Custom wiring | Stew-Mac locking tuners | Mustang bridge
    '00 Warmoth Stratocaster | Inca Silver | Swamp Ash/birdseye maple/pao ferro | Seymour Duncan JB Jr. (bridge) | Seymour Duncan Vintage Rails (mid) | Seymour Duncan Little 59er (neck) | Custom wiring | Grover MiniRotomatics | Hardtail

I would say when I was about 22 or so (late 80's)

It was a terrible Strat, modded big time with a Floyd Rose. It was a piece of crap. Not too much longer, I got rid of it and bought a nice American Std. that was black with a maple neck.

I was around 18 when I got my first strat with highschool graduation money. It was blue with a maple fretboard. Wish I knew where that one was now......

In March of 76 I got my first guitar: a black Musicmaster, and a Vibro Champ amp to go with it. I was 16.

Deneva

First Fender Guitar came when I was 11 a lead II, first Fender Amp came at 20, and ond Twin that was on it's last leg but I cranked it till it died.:wail2
    Aaron
    Alias: Fat Dog Lee
    Play it like ya mean it.
    http://www.groups.msn.com/aaronsclub

Forum Member
    I was 20. I got my first Strat in the China Fleet Club in Hong Kong in 1986. It is a MIJ strat, alder body with maple neck. Basically a 57 RI with Gotoh tuners. I have swapped the Pups with 3 Texas Specials and replaced the pots and selector with American. I also replaced the gaurd with a pearloid.

Forum Member
    My first strat was a 1979 Anniversary Stratocaster in silver. Traded my Les Paul Deluxe for it. I only kept it for less than a year before it was traded for a LP Standard. I was just a lad of 19.

When I was 16 in 1965 I bought my first electric, a Daphne Blue Mustang. Still have it, and until last year it was my only electric. Now I also have two Strats (a MIM and a CIJ) and a Hamer Vector Flying V.

I was 13 when my dad bought me a brand new red Mustang. Sold it a year and a half later (DOH!) to help fund a puschase of an evil LP ('69 Deluxe), but I now have a nice Tele & Strat for those Fender moments.
    Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?

Originally posted by lure555
    I got my 80s MIJ 62RI Strat when I was 20. I almost traded it for a Hamer Steve Stevens guitar three years later. I would SO be kicking myself if I didn't come to my senses!
    I forgot to mention the main reason I bought it. The friend who owned it didn't like the burst, so he was contemplating having it painted sea-foam green!:barf I had to save it!

First Fender Amp. = 14

First Squire = 25 (sold it 2 days later, I hated it.)

First Mexican Fender Tele = 34

First Mexican Fender Strat = 37

First American Made Fender Big Apple = 37

First American Made Fender California Strat = 37

Forum Member
    1987, my Dad bought a Squier Strat at Guitar Center we both played it, so it was sorta mine, Creme white w/ white pickguard and maple neck, I was about 15 or 16 years old at the time. It sounded like a Strat, but my playing couldn't do it justice, I prefered the "easier" action and humbucker of my Westone Strat copy, but the Strat looked way cooler. Guitar was sold a few years later(by my Dad)...we noted that the frets seemed to have worn down prematurely. :\

Around 1995, I purchased a used 1991 American Standard Strat from my Dad, Candy Apple Red w/ Rosewood fret board....has been my #1 ever since.

http://www.photo.net/photodb/image-d...420039&size=lg

I'm 30 now.:)
    Last edited by Stanze; 08-02-2002 at 10:12 AM.

Forum Member

my first Fender was when

I was 19 in late 1981 and walked into Par-Troy Sound to buy some cassettes. They had a few guitars for sale, including a black/maple neck '73 strat. Soon as I saw it, I had to play it. As soon as I played it, I had to have it. Een though it was the wrong color and neck (I wanted a Hendrix-vibe) it played like a dream and sounded so cool. put it on layaway and visited her every Saturday till she was paid off.

I still have her, but she needs new frets. Even after I have that done, it still cost me only about half of what one goes for now. Plus, I got the relic-ing for free!