Thread: effect loop problem

effect loop problem

ok guys - need some advice here - currently i use my marshall jcm 2000 w/ effects loop for gigging - i have my volume, delay, BBE, and Hush going through the loop and my compressor, blues driver and wah in line with the guitar--works great--here is my question. i really want to use my 75 fender twin as it gives me the great country twang i desire---but there is no effect loop - i have all these effects in a custom built pedalboard and before i tear things apart i want to know if all this stuff is going to work w/o the effects loop or should i just stick with what i am using. how do i chain it etc???

thanks guys Jay

Re: effect loop problem

nobody has any knowledge on this ???

Forum Member

Depending on where I'm playing, I will either use my Hot Rod Deville or my JCM 900. Both have an effects loop but I don't like using it on the Hot Rod. Seems to add a lot of extra noise so I have different settings for each amp.

Interesting - some of my stomp boxes work great through the fx loop on my DeVille but others don't. I have my E-H pedals (Pulsar and Memory Man) going through the loop but I have my wah and OD pedals going through the main input. All in the loop together gave me weirdness. And all these pedals were noisy going through the main input. Split 'em up as such and no noise and no weirdness - well, except that coming from my hands.

Not sure how this would behave in a Twin, but FWIW.

DD

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    ...but I have my wah and OD pedals going through the main input. All in the loop together gave me weirdness. And all these pedals were noisy going through the main input. Split 'em up as such and no noise and no weirdness - well, except that coming from my hands.
    I recommend getting a Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor and using its fx loop for your other pedals (except delay/reverb). I have a diagram that I did for a user in a different forum but I posted it here in TFF as well. Check out http://www.thefenderforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=28877 for details on how to use the NS-2's loop. It really does help clean up the noise from your pedals. Hope you find it useful...
    MMCQUAIN * Rock, Blues, Christian player * mmcquain@mcquain.com
    Gibson Les Paul Studio 60's Tribute, Breedlove Acoustic/Electric
    Egnater, Dean Markley, D'Addario, various effect pedals
    http://www.youtube.com/mmcquain * http://www.facebook.com/mmcquain

Quote Originally Posted by 1charger69 View Post
    ok guys - need some advice here - currently i use my marshall jcm 2000 w/ effects loop for gigging - i have my volume, delay, BBE, and Hush going through the loop and my compressor, blues driver and wah in line with the guitar--works great--here is my question. i really want to use my 75 fender twin as it gives me the great country twang i desire---but there is no effect loop - i have all these effects in a custom built pedalboard and before i tear things apart i want to know if all this stuff is going to work w/o the effects loop or should i just stick with what i am using. how do i chain it etc???

thanks guys Jay
    I'd run it all "in line":
    Compressor> Wah> Blues Driver> BBE> Hush> Volume> Delay.
    Last edited by franchelB; 09-27-2006 at 07:39 PM.

I'd run it all in line too. That's what most people do with those kinds of amps.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Uh, this may sound stupid, but why not just by a loop controller for the Fender?
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by mmcquain View Post
    I recommend getting a Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor and using its fx loop for your other pedals (except delay/reverb). I have a diagram that I did for a user in a different forum but I posted it here in TFF as well. Check out http://www.thefenderforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=28877 for details on how to use the NS-2's loop. It really does help clean up the noise from your pedals. Hope you find it useful...
    Interesting.....thanks, man!

I'm guessing there's no unwanted by-products like tone suckage or compression??

DD

PS: no sassy comments about my MIM Strat and HRDV in relation to tone suckage.....

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    Interesting.....thanks, man! I'm guessing there's no unwanted by-products like tone suckage or compression??
    Not really, I've been happy with it. After I made up that diagram on how to use the NS-2 I've had several other forum members on HC and LPF (where I'd also posted the diagram) say they started using the NS-2 and have been happy with the results. Let me know how it works for ya.

Not trying to be argumentative,

[QUOTE=mmcquain;365340]I recommend getting a Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor and using its fx loop for your other pedals...QUOTE]

but the Hush pedal IS a noise reduction pedal. He doesn't REALLY need 2 noise reducers, does he?

Re: Not trying to be argumentative,

Quote Originally Posted by franchelB View Post
    but the Hush pedal IS a noise reduction pedal. He doesn't REALLY need 2 noise reducers, does he?
    No he doesn't need 2 noise reducers. I was thinking more about the effects loop capabilities of the NS-2.
    What if he replaced the Hush with the NS-2 (for noise suppression) and then started taking advantage of the
    effects loop on the NS-2 (since the amp doesn't have a loop). Obviously everything will be in front of the amp
    (since no loop). I'd first see how it sounds with what he currently has (with the Hush at the end of the chain
    right before it goes into the amp). He could then pick up a used NS-2 off of eBay and try that setup (using
    the NS-2 loop) and decide which he like best. Then sell the noise suppressor he doesn't need (Hush or NS-2).
    Anyway, here's a diagram on how I use the NS-2's built-in loop. Hope this helps if he decides to go that route.

The twin is probley clean enough to get away with just pluggin it straight in?

Am I the only person in the world who runs all their pedals (and I mean all, even my tuner) in a big line straight in front of the amp?

Quote Originally Posted by ziess View Post
    Am I the only person in the world who runs all their pedals...straight in front of the amp?
    Nah, it just might seem like it. Some prefer run it "in line" too, even WITH the effects loop!

ziess, there is nothing wrong with that setup. It all depends on the situation. For a Blues gig I'll usually use an amp, a modded TS9, and a guitar. With Crossfyre I'm using my board with loops. I have two loops, a Master Bypass, and a blender, where I can combine the effects from different loops or effects and un-effected signal.

One loop is analogue and gives me basically what you have and is used most of the time. The other loop is set up for a modeling system. That's what the blender is for. Adding some pure signal to the modeled one it gets rid of the dreaded "swirly fizzy" syndrome and keeps it sounding real instead of processed. Again, for Crossfyre I can hack it all with the analog loop so I just keep an extra RAT on a loop and leave the digital effects home. For RD I used an amp selector after the effects, but now playing sans-roadies, I keep it small and light and only use my DRRI. Back in the day my backline had a Twin, a Mesa DC10, and either a modded C30 or a Marshall. Man, was it ever LOUD!!!

The following clip is using the digital modeling blended with an analog signal to show how it layers the sound and allows the use of gonzo gain without mushing into static. At about 1:30 you can hear the Marshall modelling come in.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/song...songID=3699058

BTW, props to curt1lp over on the LPF for backing. He did all the hard work, I just wanked.

But back to the original topic, before I went with all that noise suppression I'd just get a loop controller and a tuner with a bypass. That way you won't have to deal with a noise gate - which sucks and is usually only used in a studio if there is a problem. I just use the bypass on my tuner to shut down the signal between songs if the venue is noisy. Plus, the easiest way to get rid of a hum between songs is to simply turn down the knob marked "VOLUME" on the guitar. When playing live, the simplest solution is usually the best.
    Last edited by Offshore Angler; 09-28-2006 at 05:18 PM.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim