Thread: strat pedal opinion????

Forum Member

strat pedal opinion????

Looking for a pedal to make my strat sound fat & rich ,sustain like a mother,and have cotrollable feedback yet retain its strat tone. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Forum Member

Re: strat pedal opinion????

Originally posted by tomkatz
    Looking for a pedal to make my strat sound fat & rich ,sustain like a mother,and have cotrollable feedback yet retain its strat tone. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
    Only one answer for me. I recommend the Barber Tone Press. It's a "parallel clean boost/compression blender." In short, it makes your tone sweet, rich and bold w/ sustain and definition. You can run it to get that sweet singing feedback or for chicken- pickin'. It's that versatile and kills w/ Strats and Teles. I haven't turned mine off since I got it a few months ago.

Link: http://www.barberelectronics.com/index.html

Forum Member
    This pedal has all the features you are looking for.I have recently stopped using Tubescreamers and various OD pedals,because this pedal is the best IMHO.I use it for the same reasons you have suggested and it's also True Bypass.

http://custom-sounds.com/hot_cake.htm

HOTCAKES RULE

Watto

If you want to buy one

http://www.melmusic.com.au/hotcake/hotcake.html
    Last edited by Watto; 02-16-2003 at 04:18 PM.
    Reynolds Valve-art ,The best amps ever made.

I hate to say that I like the simple way out of this. The ProCo Vintage Rat..... Yes it has to be the Vintage one over the Turbo rat.

Forum Member

Fulltone Fulldrive 2

It's about the best there is...it soaks the tone and leaves it in tact.....plus it has a boost chanell for a second tone....
    www.fulltone.com

Another vote for the Fulltone FD-II. Nice predictable OD pedal.

Hammer on......Blair

TFF Stage Crew
    Count me in for FD-II, it makes my Strat (and Tele) do everything I want.

I don't discount the suggestion for a good clean boost or compressor though, they have their place too. I use a Dyna-Comp as a clean boost with a touch of comp for clean solos/lead lines, and I really enjoy the fullness it brings to my sc pups.

But, based on what you described you're looking for, my vote would be FD-II all the way.

Forum Member

Re: Re: strat pedal opinion????

Originally posted by 3rdStone
    Only one answer for me. I recommend the Barber Tone Press. It's a "parallel clean boost/compression blender." In short, it makes your tone sweet, rich and bold w/ sustain and definition. You can run it to get that sweet singing feedback or for chicken- pickin'. It's that versatile and kills w/ Strats and Teles. I haven't turned mine off since I got it a few months ago.

Link: http://www.barberelectronics.com/index.html
    Diito on the Tone Press. Wail away.

Living in the body that is now called "grito"
    MY FD2 doesn't say rich and fat to me, unless the amp is already teetering over the edge. I have a Keeley modded Rat2 that gets nice fatty tones (although grainy). Retains more of the guitars "natural flavors" than the stock Rat. I keep it around for nice controllable feedback...
    Look to that grito character, he rocks!

Are you running a clean amp and use pedals for distortion, or are you trying to drive a distorted amp over the edge? If a clean amp, I stick by the Vintage Rat-good enough for Jeff beck, good enough for me!!! ....and very cheap!!! If trying to push a distorted amp, I (yes, I am cheap!!!) either use an original (bought used in 1982) TS-9 Tubescreamer or a brand new Marshall Bluesbreaker II. The BB-II is True-Bypass and has TS-9 like overdrive (a bit more output) AND it has a boost mode where the gain and tone controls are taken out of the circuit for a "clean" boost. You can't go wrong with the Fulltone or Barber pedals, but I didn't want to spend that much money.

I've got both the Full-Drive 2 and the Vintage Rat on my pedal board right now - different tools for different ends. As others have mentioned, it really comes down to what you're trying to do, but both pedals work well with single coils, but like Grito... um, I mean Ace I find the Rat a little grainy at times... The Fulltone is more flexible, imho, due to the comp-cut and boost features. I'm picking up an SIB Varidrive this week that should replace the Rat on my board for the higher gain stuff that I've been using it for... The FD-2 is not going anywhere soon, however; it's been the corner stone of my effects chain for five years...
    He's hot! He's hip! and he's hairy!

Living in the body that is now called "grito"
    I've been found out!!! Maybe I should just change my name.... Grito, Ace, grito, Ace.... :nelson
    Look to that grito character, he rocks!

MY DISTORTION KICK PEDAL

ME I LOVE THE OLD PRO CO RATS PEDALS THEY GOT ALOT OF DISTORTION IN A USEFUL PACKAGE WITH LITTLE AMT OF KNOBS
    you can buy proco rat pedals relaatively cheaply so good luck bro
    i hope you find what you are lookin for
    lou
    guitarnoise2002@hotmail.com
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS

TFF Stage Crew
    Originally posted by Ace
    I've been found out!!! Maybe I should just change my name.... Grito, Ace, grito, Ace.... :nelson
    How 'bout Grace-O

dont know whas wrong ?

sorry man i aint feelin the best health wise
    but for you bro whas wrong you changin your name etc what happened i think you arer kool
    did i do anything wrong bro if i did i am deeply sorry please accept my apology
    my personal health issue is making me depressed bro so i look at this forum for ideas and support etc
    71818 you are kool to me you gave me help ful advice in the past i want to thank you bro i mean it sincerely
    lou
    contact me at:
    guitarnoise2002@hotmail.com anytime
    i hope all is well ok!!!!
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS

TFF Stage Crew
    I don't think he was talking to you, Lou. Read the posts above his a little more carefully and you'll see what he's referring to.

Just as an aside, you might also note this thread has been dead for 6 months. Trying to reply to every single thread isn't necessary to hang out here. I'm not being critical of you reading and replying to ancient threads--do whatever makes you feel good. I'm just saying don't feel like you need to post on every single thread to feel like a part of this forum. K?

i mentioned this elsewhere, but the fulltone dp-1 makes a strat sound HUGE! here are some samples of my u.s. strat plus with Wagner's "SR" set of single coils:

http://www.thefenderforum.com/forum/...=&postid=31113

http://www.thefenderforum.com/forum/...=&postid=31114

http://www.thefenderforum.com/forum/...=&postid=31118

ml
    "no, no, your all confused. it's not the sun that's goin' down, it's the hori-zon that's movin' up!" - firesign theatre

Forum Member
    Hey muddy, the DP-1 sounds great but it no longer sounds like a Strat.

Originally posted by Bob Onit
    Hey muddy, the DP-1 sounds great but it no longer sounds like a Strat.
    that was the idea. it actually does still have it's stratness, if you will, but it's been fattened (the bridge, in particular) to compensate for the single coils sounding thin (which they traditionally always have, with distortion). it can be set to be more transparent, so that it does sound like itself (like a strat). but i believe tomkatz was looking to make his strat sound fat, which is what i've done.

ml
    "no, no, your all confused. it's not the sun that's goin' down, it's the hori-zon that's movin' up!" - firesign theatre