Thread: Bass Amp Speakers

Forum Member

Bass Amp Speakers

Hey guys ive been looking on ebay for bass amp speakers and ive only saw 10 or so that are just speakers w/out the cab. Is this normal? Anybody know where i can find good bass speakers otherwise/ have any recomendations?

PS If the head outputs 100watts RMS should i get 2 100 watt + speakers or 50 each? and what does RMS mean?
    My Band: Tabula Rasa

Re: Bass Amp Speakers

Hi Nab, I'm in Aus, so can't help U too much, but I'll send U a PM when I get to work- I have a lot of speaker dealers on my fave lists- U should be able to find 'some yo'self try looking on ebay under speakers, then refine the search using bass spkr, or the like.
    I'll get back 2 U later- meantime good luck with it.
    Oh I 4got, what do U need it for- replace a broken speaker in a professionally made cab? building a cab yoself??????
    Rod.

Nab, I sent U an email re- hope it goes thru OK!
    In the main it said "I looked in U.S. ebay - Musical instruments; pro audio ; monitors & speakers. scroll down & there are a few speakers there without enclosures. Also links at top of page with brand names to search ebay for them- JBL, EV, Peavey, Yamaha etc.... Hope this helps a bit! Also reply re what U R gonna be wanting the spkr for- as I asked above- replace a blown one/ upgrade an existing cab, or R U building a cab yourself?
    Cheers,
    Rod.

Forum Member

Well i have an old Kustom cab from the 70's and it has 2 12" s in it and lately its been sounding kinda bad. I was just trying to get an idea for prices and etc thanks!

Throw the Kustom away (or sell it) and buy a 2x12 from Avatar. You won't be sorry and for the price they charge, it doesn't cost a whole lot more than buying 2 good 12" replacement speakers. Right now they are closing out one of their 2x12 bass cab models, and they are selling them on ebay for whatever they can get. They list at about $300 brand new, plus $40 shipping. I'm seeing them go on ebay for around $200. At that price it is an absolute steal..........

Forum Member

Are those empty cabs? Because the speakers are the problem here, not the cab, the cab is nice. If that was $200 w/ speakers id go for it.

I think he's meaning with the speakers in!!! I've heard their real good on price & darn good on sound- Not that I';ve heard one here in Aus.
    Rod

Yes, the close outs are fully loaded with speakers - brand new cabs that sell for $300 typically ending up around $200. They are liquidating their inventory of the Eminence speakers and will only build bass cabs with Neo speakers going forward (what a shame - I've played out of Neo's and don't like their lack of bottom).

Every time they sell one on e-bay, they post another one. But once the inventory is gone, its over. Do a search on ebay for Avatar and you will find at least one. Alternately, you could call them directly and ask what they are charging for a direct sale on these close-outs.

I bought one of these cabs before they decided to discontinue them, and its one of the best bass cabs I have ever played. The adjustable tweeter is great, and there is a heavy duty crossover as well. The bottom end and response of the eminence drivers is excellent.

Forum Member

Ok cool. What exactly is the corossover thing? I saw on their website it looks like copper wire wrapped around somthing. Could you explain it?

I'm not exactly the one to inform U re the crossover thing!!!
    But typically it is a mech.that enables the high freq.s to be sent to the Hi freq driver & the low to the low driver!!! duh!
    They are often adjustable-I think-see I told U I'm not the best to give advice here.
    BUT Ihave seen the Bass Player mag review of the AVATAR spkr cabs & they get a GLOWING review, with the final comment-'buy one B4 they double their price"!!!!!
    Rod.